Out of the mouths of babes: gifted toddler talk? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my sons are bilingual, and never were verbally ahead (although we're definately sure DS1 is gifted - he's just not a big talker )

however this exchange the other day cracked me up. DS2 (20 months) was asking for water while we were at a restaruant, and asking me in vietnamese. apparently he was frustrated I wasn't responding fast enough because he spotted the server, waved his little arm and started shouting the same thing in english, then switching back to vietnamese for my attention, then back to yelling and waving at the server in english. it was pretty hysterical, but man I blushed so hard thinking goodness, now I have *that* toddler in the restaurant.

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#62 of 102 Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM

My 17 month old said this yesterday:

My dh was about 20 feet away with her and I was telling him something. Of course, I didn't think he was listening so I asked him "are you listening to me??" and my small girl says "no, no I'm not listening"!!

LOL!
#63 of 102 Old 04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
MJB

Here's a conversation I wrote down when Luka was 27 months:
"If there was a witch in our house, I would kick him out! And he would bite me!"
"Witches bite, Luka?" I asked.
"Yes, witches bite. And alligators bite people. Not hippos though. Not lions. Yes, lions. Cats don't bite people. They have teeth, though."
"Witches are grandmas. If they scare grandmas, then they would get a time out. If I saw a witch on the wall, he would get a time out on the wall."

In the same blog entry, I recorded his version of John Prine's "Paradise" which was just a little off: "My daddy won't take me back to Muhlenberg county by the green river where paradise lives. I'm sorry my son but you're too late in askin, Mr. Peabody co' train has hauled it away."

He had 15 words at 10 mos. and was using 3+ word sentences shortly after 1. By 2 he was talking like a normal person aside from being completely freakin' nuts.
#64 of 102 Old 04-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#65 of 102 Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

these stories are fantastic! trying to think of more... i find if i don't write them down right away, i don't remember them!

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#66 of 102 Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Our ds4, 28 months, has been watching dp and I do renovations on our home. The other day dp left the room and ds4 said, "Is daddy going to get the circadian saw?" I smiled and asked if he was referring to the circular saw and he said confidently, "Yeah, the circle-y circadian saw."

I talked with him further and surmised that he equated the sleep cycle with the saw cycle and thought the word could pertain to both.

When ds1 was 12 months old, people began to address him with questions (he was talking for months before), and the most common one was, "How old are you?" Ds1 is very private and doesn't like to answer personal questions from strangers, so he replied completely dead-pan, "I'm eight. I'm eight years old." He did that until he was around 20 months when he would tell people he didn't want to answer their questions. He did not enjoy the attention paid him for being a baby; I don't think any of us even thought of him as a baby past the newbie stage- himself included.

Ds2 was 18 months old and playing with ds1 in their room. Ds1 came creeping out in full body position and said, "I'm a Tyrannosaurus Rex!" Immediately behind him, ds2 leapt out with his arms fully extended, legs landing wide apart, and exclaimed with a big grin, "And I'M a talking MANGO!"

I can't think of anything for ds3, which is weird given that he was our earliest and most obviously advanced and prolific talker...

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#67 of 102 Old 04-18-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
"And I'M a talking MANGO!"
I may borrow that one.
#68 of 102 Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
I may borrow that one.
Oh, yes, you do the "I'm a chicken. Cluck." thing, right? I laughed a lot at that.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#69 of 102 Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
Oh, yes, you do the "I'm a chicken. Cluck." thing, right? I laughed a lot at that.
Am I the only one???
#70 of 102 Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Am I the only one???

#71 of 102 Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM

This is what we have been getting out of our 2.5 year old in the last few days:

"Mummy, I am sick, sick, sick. I am going to vomit and I feel queasy." (She says this cause she thinks then she can stay at home from school)

"This box of sweets has my name on it." (When shopping in the supermarket)

"Mummy, come with me. I am going to my job. I am going to fix the animals that are sick. I'm off to work. I am not going to school."
#72 of 102 Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Last week, we met another little girl DD's age (21 mos) or thereabouts at the bookstore. (I try not to talk age anymore with other mothers) The little girl was very verbal for her age. She had a confident swagger and walked around with her mom yelling out words, "dog, cat, baby," etc, while her mom gave me sheepish looks each time. I thought it was so cute and told the mom.

Meanwhile, my DD just timidly watched not saying a word. When DH started reading a story to DD I took the oppourtunity to look at books.

DH told me later that the other mom was trying to get the two girls to interact by telling her daughter to give DD a Diego doll. He said her jaw literally dropped when DD's face lit up and turned to him yelling. "that little girl gave me a doll!" Then DD started to go off on the fact that both girls were wearing pink shoes...
#73 of 102 Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanikit View Post
"Mummy, I am sick, sick, sick. I am going to vomit and I feel queasy." (She says this cause she thinks then she can stay at home from school)
What a stinker!

About a month ago, on the first pleasant day of the season, I took DD to the playground. She was messing with the dirt. I told her not to eat it, that if she did, she would throw up (she is very aware what that means).

Well, I turned my head for a second, and she sticks a huge clump in her mouth. Now it is coming out of her mouth as mud, and I am carrying her across the playground in front of all the other moms, and she is saying. "I going to frow up. I need drink wawa. I going to frow up. I need drink wawa!"
#74 of 102 Old 04-19-2010, 07:00 PM

The talking mango is gold!

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#75 of 102 Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Here's a conversation I wrote down when Luka was 27 months:
"If there was a witch in our house, I would kick him out! And he would bite me!"
"Witches bite, Luka?" I asked.
"Yes, witches bite. And alligators bite people. Not hippos though. Not lions. Yes, lions. Cats don't bite people. They have teeth, though."
"Witches are grandmas. If they scare grandmas, then they would get a time out. If I saw a witch on the wall, he would get a time out on the wall."

In the same blog entry, I recorded his version of John Prine's "Paradise" which was just a little off: "My daddy won't take me back to Muhlenberg county by the green river where paradise lives. I'm sorry my son but you're too late in askin, Mr. Peabody co' train has hauled it away."

He had 15 words at 10 mos. and was using 3+ word sentences shortly after 1. By 2 he was talking like a normal person aside from being completely freakin' nuts.
Oh this one reminds me of DD around 20 months at a restaurant quietly waiting for her meal to come when she suddenly stood up on her chair and waved her arms around "I'm pretending to be a hippopotamus conducting an orchestra!" Uh, ok

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#76 of 102 Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 AM

DS (2 years, 4 months) is really into playing games with words right now. He'll be reciting The Very Hungry Caterpillar story, and instead of "big fat caterpillar" he'll say "mig mat materpillar!" and then crack up laughing. lol He does stuff like that all the time. Or say something that he knows isn't right, just to be funny. Like calling me Daddy, or my DH mommy. Then he'll crack up like he's told the funniest joke ever. He's also sooo observant and has to describe everything he sees. "Look at all that dirt mommy! And there's lots of biiiiiig buldozers too. Beep, beep, beep! He's going backwards mommy! He's shoveling the dirt." Of course his need to describe EVERYTHING can be a bit embarassing. I woke up to him in our bed the other day, underwear off and proudly proclaiming, "Look! I have a BIG OL' penis Mommy!" lol

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#77 of 102 Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Potty training is a big issue in our house at the moment - DD is pretty much potty trained but I need to get her on the potty before going out. So this is what I got from her today:

"Mummy, I will try, but I don't think I can go because my bladder is not up."
#78 of 102 Old 04-24-2010, 08:41 AM

DS is another far to verbal child. He loves words, just like his parents I guess. At about 2.5, here are some of my favorites.

-I have the double bracelets on my left arm and the single bracelets on my right arm.

-Please be careful with my barricade, it's very fragile and complicated.

-(at the playground, to another parent) Excuse me, please may I have that big red and blue rake? I need it to make my gigantic tower. Thank you.
The look on that moms face was priceless.

And all this out of my little boy with hearing loss, they kept telling us that his language would be slow to develop because of the hearing loss. If this is slow to velop, I cringe to think of what he'd be saying without the loss.
#79 of 102 Old 04-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
DS is another far to verbal child. He loves words, just like his parents I guess. At about 2.5, here are some of my favorites.

-I have the double bracelets on my left arm and the single bracelets on my right arm.

-Please be careful with my barricade, it's very fragile and complicated.

-(at the playground, to another parent) Excuse me, please may I have that big red and blue rake? I need it to make my gigantic tower. Thank you.
The look on that moms face was priceless.

And all this out of my little boy with hearing loss, they kept telling us that his language would be slow to develop because of the hearing loss. If this is slow to velop, I cringe to think of what he'd be saying without the loss.
You might be interested in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Feel-Silence-H.../dp/1566393523

It's the memoirs of a lawyer who is deaf. She never learned sign language because she learned to speak entirely from lip reading. Her parents didn't even realize she was deaf at all because she was speaking on time, they just figured she had some problems paying attention because she never responded when she wasn't looking at them. It's a very interesting read!
#80 of 102 Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM

LOVED the potty-training comment! Canaan has lately been using his skills to make up very creative excuses for things; yesterday, I told him to go potty so we could go to the grocery store. He came back and said to me "Mommy, I can't go potty, because there's a chicken in there". He was SHOCKED when I didn't believe him!

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

#81 of 102 Old 04-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootmama0709 View Post
He came back and said to me "Mommy, I can't go potty, because there's a chicken in there". He was SHOCKED when I didn't believe him!
That's awesome.

#82 of 102 Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 PM
lld

One evening we were driving home and I told my (then) 2 1/2 year old that because the sun was setting it was almost time for bed. He told me that he didn't want to go to bed. When I told him there was nothing we could do to stop time, he answered, "We could back up...then the sun would have to come back up again." Then he started laughing hysterically.

Another funny one a couple months later that I had to write down immediately to preserve it word for word:
My son: "Penises are what are on little boys, not on grown ups"
My response: "Well, men grown-ups have penises."
My son: "Not mommy grown-ups. They have brains."

Note that my son has never met his father and I'm not sure if he has ever seen a naked man...his comments made me realize that we need to have a discussion about anatomy
#83 of 102 Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 AM

Levi says all sorts of funny things, I need to start writing them down b/c I always forget!

Yesterday after leaving a restaurant (Nai Nai is my mom btw)

Levi -"Excuse me Nai Nai do you have a towel?"
My mom - "I think I there is one in the trunk, I cant reach it when Im driving"
Levi - "well you need to pull over, Im having an issue back here"
Me - "whats your issue Levi?"
Levi (frustrated) " Just PULL OVER, Im having an issue and I need you to pull over and give me the towel!"

(we pull over, he had spilled 2 drops of water on his leg!)

Oh and at the restaurant

Waitress (to my mom) "Have you decided?"
Levi - "I think I want fried rice but I need to ask you a question"
Waitress (looking suprised and talking in that 'talking to little kid voice' - "What is it sweetie?"
Levi (talking fast)- "Is your rice vegetarian? Does it got milk in it? Does it got food coloring?, Does it got vinegar?"
Waitress goes 'uhhh'
I had to explain (Levi and I are vegetarian, and he has food allergies, including the things he asked about!)

He also makes up very elaborate stories about 'when he was big and you were a baby mommy' and random stories (todays was about a lady who had a baby in a yellow house, and he caught the baby from her butt, and saved it because a ghost came, but it was a friendly ghost.... I forget the rest but it was a very long story with lots of crazy details!).
And if you tell him a story, he re-tells it but using himself as the main character and changing the details to suit him.
#84 of 102 Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 AM

Some more:

At playgrounds when he sees a kid, he will go up to them and start asking questions (whats your name? how old are you? My name is Levi, Im 2 and a half. What are you doing? where do you live? whats on your shirt? and so on)

IF the kid doesnt answer (usually they dont say much if anything unless they are a much older kid), then Levi will go find whichever adult he assumes is with that kid and askes "is that your kid?" - if they say yes he will repeat all of his questions, and then start asking about the parent!

Also he is very polite and uses please and thank you (almost too much, he will say thank you a bunch of times!). Its very cute b/c you can tell he really means it, like today I made him a sandwitch and he acted suprised and said 'Where did you get this bread????" - "we got it at the store today" "OH THANK YOU MOMMY, THANK YOU SO MUCH this is the bread like I can have!!!" (its hard to find bread he can have b/c of his allergies). He is so cute.
#85 of 102 Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

ds (2.5) was drawing shapes in the car yesterday and showing them to his grandma. then very seriously announces to us all as he continues: "I have some very important things to do today"

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#86 of 102 Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Not specifically gifted, but entertaining:

Me: You know, A. doesn't eat much meat...he's like a self-imposed vegetarian.
DH: He eats fish. And that chicken nugget the other day...
A (2.5): And ANIMAL CRACKERS!!!!!

No idea where he got this, as we've never discussed meat=animals. And he was quietly playing in the corner - no idea he was listening to us. Goes to show they pick up info randomly AND are always listening even when they seem otherwise occupied. Better watch what I say
#87 of 102 Old 05-07-2010, 12:38 PM

I thought it would be a good idea to get my DD excited about her (2nd)birthday in 2 months. So, we have been taking her around toy stores and letting her look at babies in hopes of figuring out which one she likes best.

I wanted to get her excited, not obsessed.

Every morning this past week she has been waking me up with,

"mama, get up! Wake up! I wanna get dressed so we go to da baby store. I wanna hold a little baby has hard head and paci."

Then, after I tell her we will go after her nap (I can make anywhere we go seem like the baby store), she says,

"okay. I wanna look up babies on da laptop now please."

Arrgh. I have double windows going right now. Thank you DH for the 17 inch screen.
#88 of 102 Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM

This morning our 29 month old son jumped into our bed, popped his head out from under the covers, and began singing, "Then I saw my face!! And I am a beaver!" Then he cracked up laughing.

It was to the tune of Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer."

#89 of 102 Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM

While maybe not gifted, DD is definitely bright in the verbal arena, and is constantly amusing me.

When DD was about 1.5, we were at the store when a woman in the aisle starts chatting with her. She asked DD "How are you?" and I was just as surprised as the woman when DD said "I'm fine, too." (She continues to insist on adding "too" to the end of that sentence.) I have no idea where she gets some of this stuff. Like today, she started talking about "my neighbors." I don't recall having spent time talking about the neighbors. But she told me they were at work with Daddy, and later, when she couldn't find her baby's milk, she told me "My neighbors took it."

When she eats yogurt, it gets everywhere, so whenever she gets out of her highchair, we talk about all the things she can't touch until she gets her hands washed. She tells me, "Don't touch Mommy. Don't touch door. Don't touch Daddy. Etc, etc." The other day, at the end of her list, she said, "I touch Daddy anyways."

And so many more that just don't seem that funny/impressive out of context. But she certainly keeps us entertained.

Tiffany, Mommy to Kismet, 05/08 and HypnoBaby Teagun, arriving in June!
#90 of 102 Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 PM

My niece is 3 months older than DD 3.5.

The other day they were playing "have a baby" and DD put her cousin's knees up. Cousin says "Babies come from China and you put them in your belly". My DD set her straight...

When I came home I asked her about it and I said "Olivia, where do you think babies come from?" She rolled her eyes at me (LOL!) and said "Are you serious? You can't be serious. Don't be ridiculous mom. They come out of VAGINAS!"

Maybe you had to be there but I almost peed myself laughing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page