Out of the mouths of babes: gifted toddler talk? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 102 Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love this thread.

My youngest will be 2 in August, and she is a crazy talker. You can carry on a conversation with her, it's really amazing and fun. Lately she's decided that farts are funny. So she will "toot", we'll say "Zoe, did you toot?" and she'll always blame it on someone else. "No, dat Mommy, Mommy tooted, Mommy stinky". It's always me, or Daddy, or her sister, or names of friends... or best yet, one of our 2 cats, LOL.

Liz, mommy to DD1 (June 2006) and DD2 (August 2008) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 102 Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 AM

DS is almost 3 and has been talking long before he was a year old. He is very chatty, but he rarely says a peep out in public. When he does it usually catches people off gaurd.

Once, when he was about 2, we were waiting in line at a coffee shop and with no one paying attention to us we were having a regular old conversation. The woman in front of us turned around to leave and her eyes got really wide when she saw us. She said "Is that who you were talking to?" pointing to DS. I just smiled and nodded and she all but shouted to the entire shop "Oh my goodness, it's a talking baby!"

Another time we were at a play date with some friends. DS was trying to play basketball with a standard sized net and, of course, could not get the ball in. I was chatting with another mom and DS came over and said "I can't make the shot. It's too great of a distance." I got up to help him and I heard one of the other mothers whisper "See? I told you he talks like a grown up".
#93 of 102 Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
My niece is 3 months older than DD 3.5.

The other day they were playing "have a baby" and DD put her cousin's knees up. Cousin says "Babies come from China and you put them in your belly". My DD set her straight...

When I came home I asked her about it and I said "Olivia, where do you think babies come from?" She rolled her eyes at me (LOL!) and said "Are you serious? You can't be serious. Don't be ridiculous mom. They come out of VAGINAS!"

Maybe you had to be there but I almost peed myself laughing.
I love it!
#94 of 102 Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM

I just thought of another one that I wanted to share.

DS and I saw some decorative tiles.
DS: "Mom, look at all the octogons!"
Me: "Actually, there are six sides. They are hexagons "
DS: "You're right! I was wrongdagon"
#95 of 102 Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Banned

#96 of 102 Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
My niece is 3 months older than DD 3.5.

The other day they were playing "have a baby" and DD put her cousin's knees up. Cousin says "Babies come from China and you put them in your belly". My DD set her straight...

When I came home I asked her about it and I said "Olivia, where do you think babies come from?" She rolled her eyes at me (LOL!) and said "Are you serious? You can't be serious. Don't be ridiculous mom. They come out of VAGINAS!"

Maybe you had to be there but I almost peed myself laughing.
hilarious!!!!

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#97 of 102 Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM

DH was getting DD (24 months) ready for bed last night and because DD was wearing her space pajamas he asked her what planet we all lived on.

DD answered, "The blue planet"

DH asked, "And, which planet is called the blue planet?"

DD got silly and replied, "We all live on Mercury and Uranis and Jupiter and Neptune..."

I had been listening and walked in at this point. DH exclaimed, "I did'nt know she knew the planets like that."

I told him she had for a while and is getting more and more confident, and explained she likes to say we live on different planets like Uranis and...

DD cut me off. "Saturday!"

We of course laughed and gave her a big hug. "You mean Saturn," we said, "Saturday is a day of the week."

DD: "Like Monday and Tuesday and Sunday and Friday and the weekend..."

(We talk about the planets a lot. We have never talked about the days of the week.)
#98 of 102 Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 PM

DD announced the other day that she went "big boy potty." She went on to say, "But I don't have a penis, I have a boy vulva."

Tiffany, Mommy to Kismet, 05/08 and HypnoBaby Teagun, arriving in June!
#99 of 102 Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 AM

DS 21mos and I go out every night to look at the moon and stars. A few nights ago he
said, there is the half moon, there is Venus and then pointed down to the ground and said and there is our precious earth.
#100 of 102 Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 AM

DS (2.5) is trying to figure out the function of his penis. Tonight at a restaurant, DH took him to the restroom, where apparently he had a BM. DH later told me that he was struggling with pushing when he announced, "Hey! It (his penis) wiggles!" Anyway, he finishes his business and came back to the table to announce proudly to me, "Mommy, my penis was all filled up with poopoo!" I guess he had gotten an erection, and since he was struggling with pooping, deduced that it must be stuck in his penis. lol I'm not sure that's necessarily a "gifted" thing, but that kid is always thinking of something to crack me up. lol

Oh, and I just remembered another one. DS likes to play games with words. He plays with rhymes, makes up his own words, etc. Lately he will have an entire conversation with you, leaving off the first sound of every word. "Ommy, at ree as ig, reen eaves!" Then he cracks up laughing. I really have to think hard to do it, but he has no problems. It's like his own language. lol

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#101 of 102 Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What really floors me lately is that DD (almost 2.5) will take a word she hears and will save it in her little mind and then cough it back up later and ask me what it is. For example, she will hear some big word and then a week later, we'll be sitting in the car at a red light and she will say "what does 'atmosphere' mean?" I'm usually just so stunned that I'll stare at the back of the car in front of me for a minute and then say "honey, where did you hear a word like THAT?!" Then she will say "the video about the animals said 'trees add oxygen to the atmosphere.'" I just have no concept of how someone can hear a word once and then remember it a week or two later having no idea what it means - let alone a whole sentence.

Usually, it's a word that is nearly impossible to define to her (like "percussion" or "sophisticated") so I'm stuck staring blankly at her and have to say "I'm sorry sweetie, but I have no idea how to tell you that."

Mama to a bright 7 y/o girl and an exuberant 3 y/o boy  Loving unschooling, 2x and natural living in Hawaii.
#102 of 102 Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM

I do not have spawns but I do have stories from my father and I, perhaps cousins and the other kid things in my life if I remember any.

Father:
My grandma said he had a insane vocabulary at 4, like he could discuss easily what was in the newspaper almost like an adult. He has sense been diagnosed with asburgers and is one REALLY smart guy too, really good with big super fancy stuff with computers, good with math. He doesn't program but does something just as hard and complicated if not more so. I often wonder what all that was like for my grandparents.

Me:
I started talking at 6 months, father says I went in spurts of learning, I was more of a watcher/listener/learner then a talker.

At 6 months I knew how to say Dada, Mama, and Baba (bottle) and I associated all 3 with the proper things(I never babbled them, I said them when I wanted one of them and never any other time). He said I learned Da then Ba and then Ma in that order, then took a break for awhile and learned more words. I learned how to say Why around 9 months too if I remember right. I can ask him more later if anyone wants to know, think he is sleeping right now. Why is still my favorite word, I use it quite often! It is an awesome word!

He said he was surprised by this, and quite confused when I started calling him Dada at 6months. Sometimes, I wish I could remember his face when he would have heard that for the first time.

Lets see...I also went into techy stuff, terrible at math, good at philosophy and psychology related things. I am still more of a listener but I do understand a wide array of words(more then the average person, although I do not use them much) and I read quite well.

Think we both started crawling and walking well before 1yr of age.

I have always found relationships to talking, cognitive abilities, walking/crawling vs. age vs. the later outcomes interesting. Thought I would share the extra details.

OH my friends baby sister she is 2 now, she is able to form small sentences now(4-6 word). While comprehending fairly complicated things for a 2yr old, she did not start like that early on, just popped up. My friend just moved out, and her baby sister understood and asked when she can have sisters old room and when she was going to visit again. Most 2yr olds I have met have issues with that level of comprehension.

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page