Standardized Blah! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to vent. It's standardized testing here for the next 2 weeks.

Which translates into my DD complaining about all the boring review and test prep they are doing.
She says she is having a hard time paying attention during the test practices, becuase it is sooooo slow, most of it is oral, And of course she is stressed that if she does not pay attention she might not get a perfect score again.
And of course the world will end if she misses one.

Thank you NCLB for this fun
Sigh~
#2 of 17 Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Is there a "sympathy" smilie? Hang in there! Maybe this is a good week to plan some extra afterschool fun?

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#3 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM

Per the news today, it sounds as though that is about to get worse, not better. 48 states are on board for uniform national standards which will permit one unified national achievement test!!! (Where is the irony smilie?)

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#4 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75 View Post
Maybe this is a good week to plan some extra afterschool fun?
I second that - lots of fun and exercise outside! Sledding? Ice skating? Swimming pool (um, that one would be indoors, I suppose)? An indoor play park?
A squishy ball to get some kinesthetic exercise in during slow oral instructions?

Good luck!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#5 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Sorry you're suffering with this nonsense.
#6 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I would not mind the testing so much, if it had a higher ceiling and scores were based on growth.
She scored perfect last year, which tells me nothing about her growth and puts unnecessary pressure on her to be perfect.

And since I'm day dreaming....
It would be nice if the kids could test at their own pace, weather that pace be slow or fast.
#7 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysmom View Post
Per the news today, it sounds as though that is about to get worse, not better. 48 states are on board for uniform national standards which will permit one unified national achievement test!!! (Where is the irony smilie?)
Gotta link?
#8 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Why are they spending 2 weeks prepping for a test that students can get a perfect score on? How long does it take to explain fill out the little circles completely with a #2 pencil? When I was in school, we spent a couple of hour on standardized test prep, and that was for tests with a reasonably high ceiling. I know I scored several grade levels above what grade I was actually in and I never fully completed the test. (In retrospect I think I was supposed to get those untimed so I should have been able to finish.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#9 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Why are they spending 2 weeks prepping for a test
because our district is having problems meeting the AYP NCLB standards.
So alot of time is spent on test prep, in hopes that our district FCAT scores will go up.

The lower performing schools/students have been prepping and practicing tests all year.

Quote:
scored several grade levels above what grade I was actually in
the FCAT and SAT10, which are used to measure NCLB progress, are based on grade level standards only. You can get a perfect score and only be in the 96th %
#10 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 01:01 AM

this is so f***ed up.

interesting article about how one of the early architects of NCLB has now decided she was wrong and has reversed her positions: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/ed...pagewanted=all

Also a nice op ed on "playing to learn"
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/opinion/02engel.html
I want to share this one w/ all the parents and educators I know out there. She really gets at what is WRONG with the way kids are being tested right now. All the things it means they AREN'T doing

I hope things get better in our schools. I want to keep DS out of mainstream public school b/c of this crap.

Meanwhile I hope your DD survives a booooring couple of weeks. FWIW I went to a gifted magnet school (all the way through) and since we all were good test-takers (duh, thats how we got in there) everyone was kind of flippant about the tests... ah well. those days are over, the stakes are so high for the schools.

dissertating mom to three

#11 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Meanwhile I hope your DD survives a booooring couple of weeks
Thanks!
I really should stop complaining, the kids in the regular classes have it alot worse.
#12 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
bec

My 3rd grader just got done with her week long testing. She has not tested gifted (her gifts are not easily tested, being more on the emotional end of things), and struggles in some areas academically. She is also a terrible test taker. They spent a solid month in our district prepping these kids. I have been talking to parents of kids all over the district about how stressed out these kids are! Children (who have no issues academically or with testing in general) bursting into tears for no apparent reason, being touchier than a bear with a sore paw, throwing up from the anxiety, etc. It's just terrible what they are doing to these kids!

We survived it. I spent a lot of energy supporting my child, sending her notes in her lunch, surprising her at school with lunch, and talking about how these tests do not do a good job at telling the whole story about her, what makes her special, and has absolutely no bearing on what kind of person she will become. It's irritating that I had to go through all of that to undo the damage these tests were doing, though!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#13 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM

I think the best "standardized" testing were the ones I did going into grade 9...It was a huge test that covered all areas and levels (rather than just see how you were doing at grade 9 entry level. The results showed what level you were at for each category...for example for English comprehension I was at OAC (gr 13)-college, whereas math I was basically on grade (hated math). I think that style was good for assessing overall the strong and weak areas a kid has.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#14 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Sounds like a good time to call her out "sick." (Sick of boring test prep). Send her in for the testing days (can't avoid those) and do fun stuff outside of that.

If (like me) your work schedule doesn't allow that, send in lots of books to read when she's done and hands in the tests.

And finally, it could be worse: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...StoryID=102224
#15 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm2840 View Post
That doesn't sound too bad. I'd rather DS have one or two days of chewing gum than 2 weeks of test prep. I could really see it making sitting still for a test less stressful on wiggly kids with high sensory needs.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#16 of 17 Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM

As a teacher and former "bored" student. I feel her pain. Testing week is so awful and there is so much pressure for the kids to do well (the pressure is on both he kids and the teachers.)

My old principal had a great saying about all of the crazy testing that goes on, and let me tell you, we test out the wazoo around here: "Weighing the cow over and over again isn't going to change the results."

We need less weighing and more time to teach. I guess I added to the rant!
#17 of 17 Old 03-20-2010, 07:06 PM

I HATE giving standardized tests. I teach middle school and testing weeks are torture for everyone. I know in some states parents can opt out of having their kids tested, but the schools can't actually tell you that. We have one kid (whose mom is a teacher here) who doesn't take the tests. But then we have to come up with stuff for him to do while the other kids are testing, which is usually pretty worthless too since all the staff is tied up administering the stupid test.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page