April - what are they doing now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it's about time for a new thread.

DD has been much better since I started restricting her computer privileges for violence. I never thought I'd do that, but I did, and it's working.

She's also doing all sorts of new and wonderful things. She's never been much of a writer, though she figured out how to write her name before she was 3, but lately she's totally into writing and spelling. Sometimes when she wants something she writes it in the air instead of saying it. It'd be hard enough to figure out what it was if it was an adult doing it...with a 4-year-old, it's pretty much impossible. But super cool. The other day I heard her little voice from the other room, "Mama, how do you spell South Portugal?"

What else? Oh, the drawings. Yesterday she drew a picture of a pelican from memory that is at least as good as the best pelican that I could draw from memory. ("I drew it a very big mouth so that it can eat lots of fish all in one bite.") She's drawing these beautiful, expressive faces, and I love that she's developed her own style rather than copying mine. She draws two lines down for the nose, for instance, rather than one line down and a line across as I usually do.
#2 of 72 Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Tor truly read words for the first time last night! He sounded out about five 3-letter words slowly, then told me what each one was. Awesome.

He turns three in 2 weeks.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#3 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DS's, 3.5, current drawing interests:

nuclear power plants, gas power plants, coal power plants
steam trains,metro trains, regional trains, high speed trains (occasionally in combination with the power plants, to provide electricity)
coffee makers, vacuum cleaners
bacteria killing machines (for his mama who keeps getting ear/nose/throat infections)
rocket ships and airplanes

It's when talks about his current favorite (the nuclear power plants) in public that we get REALLY funny looks...

Heading back over from youtube because I forgot his most recent obsession: volcanoes! We went through the theory in one of my old books (really meant for teenagers so I just explained the drawings and photos) and now we're checking out what's on youtube. Current favourites: Vesuvius, Etna and Popocatepetl (what a wonderful name..). He's really into the destruction of houses and cars (I kind of edit out the death part so far). Did you know you can watch the destruction of Pompeii in real time on youtube these days?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#4 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM

DD had spring break this week and read about 30 Rainbow fairy books. She also wrote one. She wanted it to be a "real chapter book," and it is--it has chapters and it's really quite long. She dictated it after sitting and planning it out and drawing the pictures and writing the chapter titles, and I wrote it down for her. The plot is about as good as a real Rainbow Fairy book (which is to say--totally formulaic!) I notice how much more cogent her stories are when she is not writing them down herself (or maybe she has just had a leap here).

She is starting to write her second book now. I am struck by how she "schooled" herself during this week.

She is reading really fast. This morning she read a 187-page book from start to finish in about an hour and a half (one of the "Special Edition" Rainbow Fairy books, but of course...longer and somewhat harder).

She is refusing point blank to let us read to her anymore. We actually had a fight over this last night. I feel stupid fighting over this, but it seems important. I think I know what it is, though--reading aloud is too slow. I atually feel this way myself.

DS is doing a ton of pretend play and continuing to draw "real" pictures (I mean, they are not masterworks, but he makes vaguely recognizable faces and bodies).

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#5 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
We've just finished our regional music festival and it has consumed most of our energy for the past week or two. We ended up staying in a hostel in the town where it was being held, an hour and a half away, with a bunch of other music families, which was very fun.

My youngest was involved as both a pianist and a violinist. She was awarded a scholarship on violin and got a scholarship and an invitation to perform on the final honours concert on piano. Because we were not at home, we didn't actually find out until minutes before that she was performing, but she did fine, despite the short notice and not having touched a piano in three days.

My older three are in a little violin/viola ensemble I coach which also played on the honours concert. They did a few different numbers, but were asked to play their "party piece," a tango, to open the concert. You can watch their in-class performance here. (My kids are the three shortest ones.) My ds (13) also performed the a movement from an unaccompanied Bach suite as a viola solo on the same concert. (We had no accompanist available for the honours concert, so repertoire selections were limited to the unaccompanied selections the kids had done.) My 11-year-old, who has been sick for much of the past few months -- with a ruptured appendix and then a number of post-appendix crises that almost landed her in hospital and necessitated transfer by ambulances to various large surgical centres -- seems finally better and despite having few violin lessons and little opportunity to practice since January, put forth a few stunning tear-jerker performances on violin.

My eldest had a big festival, performing lots of advanced repertoire in various 15&under classes. Though the festival is non-competitive, they do occasionally choose a student or two to go to the Provincial Competition, one of the three biggest ones nationally that feed into the Canadian National Music Festival & Competition. This year they have chosen my two eldest (my ds in Juniors, eldest dd in Intermediate) to go. I think my ds will decline as he still has a huge aversion to competitions. My eldest may go as she is happily developing the ambition she will need to cope with competitive auditions. She is still two years below the age-limit for Intermediates, so this might be a good chance to suss things out with a view to national level competition in a couple of years.

Other than that overwhelming week, it's hard to think of anything else that's been going on. My 7yo is busy learning math with decimals and is enjoying Rosetta Stone Japanese. My eldest two are about to head out on tour with their choir, and off to a choral festival in Banff where their youth choir has been invited to do half of one of the showcase concerts. My middle dd is doing an adult choir workshop locally, hoping to make the leap to the youth choir in another year and a bit. (Yeah, that sounds kind of backwards, but the local adult choir is at a lower level and will take 11-year-olds, whereas the more elite youth choir requires singers to be 13.)

Music music music these days, though, mostly.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Dd#2 (3) is really enjoying reading and writing, although interestingly not at school. At least her Montessori teachers report she shows no interest in the language works there. I don't know. I figure she's either taking it all in or socially uncomfortable with it. She sounds out all kinds of words at home, even long ones, and enjoys reading beginning readers to herself. She's also getting really good at writing and likes to write names and other words on her artwork. She is visiting a farm once a week and enjoying feeding the animals, petting them and riding the horses. She is also still loving ballet. her class just ended and I'm looking for something cheap for the summer. She seems really gifted and focused at ballet. She definitely seems much older than her ballet classmates, although she isn't. She has learned all the positions and moves and helps the others. She really likes playing board games and doing art and insists her favorite color is pink, like her sister, but we suspect she really prefers read violet and purple.

Dd#1 (6) is still loving school and is a leader there. She has been picked to lead or speak for her class at each assembly. I think it's a good way to channel her need to lead and her higher skill level, but I often worry it makes the other parents feel weird. I get LOTS of comments about how mature she is and also lots of comments from other parents that their children feel bad because they cannot read like her. I feel so sad that other children feel like that. I'm hoping the teachers are doing all they can to alleviate that. Dd loves to read and would read all night long if we let her. She is currently enjoying the Anne of Green Gables series. I am reading German books to her in the hopes that she'll be able to move into reading them herself within a year or two to give her more challenge and developmentally appropriate reading material. She can read the picture books in German pretty well, but now I'm reading the young people's novels to her. She is hoping we can get her in tennis lessons this summer, but she's such a perfectionist I wonder how she''ll do with not being great from the get-go. I will hope it works out well for her.
#7 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM

My 6 year old is noticing and classifying all kinds of animal behaviors all on her own--specific items of how birds she sees are like dinosaurs she's read about, and right now she's investigating what it means to have opposable thumbs by investigating if any of the animals in her books or in the house have them and how they use their appendages.

It's cracking me up because right now, she's very seriously explaining to the dog why the dog is unable to turn doorknobs.

My 2 year old has hit a little word explosion and is carefully parsing everything we say and demonstrating that he understands it even when he can't say it. He's testing out his long-standing skill of hailing taxis (yes, I have a city child, who could hail taxis at 1 year old) to see if it will work for hailing other things like buses, fire trucks, ambulances, and DH?!? He put his fist in the air and shouted "Daddy! I want Daddy! Not hail taxi, hail Daddy!" It didn't work though so now he seems to have decided that it only works for vehicles.

With DD I think I did a lot more counting, shapes, and reading alphabet books, etc., but not so much with DS, he's so on the go and involved in active pursuits, that it's kind of nice to see how all those skills develop without directed guidance. IE-Suddenly he's telling me the colors of all the swim caps and how many balls are in the water at family swim and I was thinking "I didn't know you knew all those colors or could count to 7 correctly!"

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#8 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 09:50 PM

my 4 yo dd is now reading at about a 1st grade level and her writing has improved tremendously.

my 6 yo dd got me to realize something i never even thought about. she was questioning neil armstrong being the first person on the moon. she reasoned that he couldn't be the first person on the moon, the person who photographed him stepping off the ladder was the first person on the moon. so i looked it up online and actually the photograph is of buzz aldrin stepping on the moon. the photographer was actually the 1st man on the moon - neil armstrong - so she was right! lol. the majority of the pics taken on the moon (of buzz aldrin) were taken by neil armstrong. armstrong took one of himself from the reflection on aldrins visor.
#9 of 72 Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Ds learned how to ski! He is almost 2.75, and we are in tahoe for spring break. I put him into the smallest boots and skiis they make (the boots are 3" too big, I had to stuff the toes, he is tiny!)

I was thinking I would just ski with him between my knees and get him used to the equimpent, the chair lift and the snow (we live in florida), but I put the skis on him and asked him to 'make a pizza' and showed him with my skis and he did it!

3 days of me teaching him and I took him to the top of the mountian, he can stop, go, turn left and right, get off the chairlift with no help (he is too short to get on without me lifting him), and 'walk' on flat areas. People kept asking me 'HOW old is that kid?'

I'm pretty proud of him, he was skiing wayyy better than a lot of people older than him, has NO fear and was laughing and cheering for himself the entire time.

I'll post pics when I get home!
#10 of 72 Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

My older three are in a little violin/viola ensemble I coach which also played on the honours concert. They did a few different numbers, but were asked to play their "party piece," a tango, to open the concert. You can watch their in-class performance here. (My kids are the three shortest ones.)

Miranda
That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#11 of 72 Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Miranda, that was quite a polished performance. I enjoyed it, thanks.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#12 of 72 Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 AM

We've had a fairly stressful few weeks. DD is an active, athletic kid who had a bad fall off the monkey bars a few weeks ago and ended up with a severe elbow fracture. She needed surgery and then was in a temporary splint until last Friday when she finally got her cast.

I honestly don't think the doctors knew what to think of her. I kept telling them that she really wants to know what they are going to do. But, they never gave her enough detail. So, I would sit there and explain to her after they just talked to me. I'm sure they thought I was nuts, but it really comforted her to understand what was going on. We had some snarky comments from the nurses about not wanting the TV, etc. But, then we also had amazing nurses who kept going on and on about how amazing DD was. How much they enjoyed her. How tough she was.

This incident has really brought many of her OEs to a full head, and though it's been so difficult I think we might be making some real progress. It's like when your worst fears all unload upon you at once, you just sorta have to learn to deal with them. So, she is working through it, and is really doing well now.

Of course, all her favorite activities--horseback riding, gymnastics, and yoga are out of the picture for now. So, she's developing some new interests--playing loads of board games and I got a bunch of indoor active toys too.

So, clearly breaking her arm isn't specific to giftedness, but the whole way this has played out for us really has really highlighted many of our gifted issues. The extreme contrast of her scientific understanding of things (including wanting us to take pictures of everything along the way) to her emotional breakdown at being separated from us was just so painfully obviously asynchronous. Well, to her mama anyway.

Our friends have been amazing. She's received so many cards and letters--it's done wonders for her emotional state!

Holli
#13 of 72 Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM

well, last night we found DS1 (who will be 5 at the end of this month) reading Ender's Game to DS2 (who is 20 months) and we didn't know whether to crack up or take the book away. It's obviously not appropriate reading material for his age, and he had questions about what happened to Stilson, but my husband had been reading the series and told DS1 a brief outline about the book so he got really curious and picked it up himself.

Other than that, DS1 is going to start softball soon and he's really excited. I had to look hard to find a team that didn't use the stand and would allow him to actual bat at pitched throws, but once he went in with the coach, they let us onto the older kid team. He's super excited!

DS2 is working really hard on his writing (just like big brother) so I'm never sure what he's doing is above his age frame, or he just really likes to mimic his big brother.

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#14 of 72 Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Holli, my best wishes for your daughter's speedy recovery! You can give her the love from your friends-in-the-computer too!

Miranda, I very much enjoyed that. Checking out the other videos now and keeping the music on in the background. I so love having a computer with sound now, a recent hand-me-down from my husband's who needed an upgrade.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#15 of 72 Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Miranda - My dd and I enjoyed listening to your kids this morning. It was wonderful!
#16 of 72 Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 AM

DD (4) doesn't read by her own admission, but I caught her reading just a tiny bit outloud tonight while I was making supper. She read the phonetic translation of watermelon in Chinese from a little Kai-Lan book. I am quite sure she did not/does not know the word, so that's why I'm quite sure she read it and it wasn't memorized (she does memorize stuff quickly, so it makes it hard for me to guess that sort of stuff). So that was a fun surprise.

DS (2) has really become quite a talker and he loves to re-tell stories. He currently finds humor in all sorts of things - like he was asking me tonight at supper "help me with the last bits, please?" then asked what "last bits" means, and decided "that's funny". I am pretty sure that explanation doesn't make any sense, but it was really cute and he thinks so many things are funny so he laughs about them and tells me they are funny.

Tjej
#17 of 72 Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 AM

I'm a little frustrated with ds1's asynchronistic learning right now. He still only has half his "kindergarten skills" mastered at school -- he's not cutting well or recognizing his numbers -- but yet he's arguing with us about the existence of God at the supper table, and for a while we were reading an adult non-fiction book about Queen Elizabeth I from the library. And although he doesn't recognize his numbers, he understands math concepts as soon as they are explained to him at school and talks about them endlessly in relation to everything we do all day. I really don't know what to make of him sometimes.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#18 of 72 Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM

That was a beautiful performance moominmama! I love that piece.

Holli- I hope something positive can come out of your DD's injury and she can get better soon.

We are waiting for our appt with the eye doc to check out DD's eyes. Something seems off. 2 weeks. We can't wait to find out what is wrong.

DD (21 months) has gone from having 50 words at 18 months to having what I would estimate to be an average 30 month old's speech. Trouble is she does not articulate too well (maybe behind in that area). So, much of what she says is not understood to even DH and I. For example: "I need help wit innakich." ??? It is heartbreaking to see her get frustrated with us. Nevertheless, what is clear is still phenomenal.

It is not nescesarily the length of the sentences but rather the complexity of the grammar and idea that astound me. "Do dis un next." "Dada take away my toothbrush." "Frog and Toad bes fwens." "Mama happy, Dadda happy, I happy...Everybaba happy!" This is stuff she just comes up with herself out of the blue.

She also undestands and answers complex questions.
"What did you do today?" -"I Play mama"
"What do you want for your birthday" -"I want eat cake" (How did she put birthday and cake together. I have no clue. We haven't celebrated a birthday with cake since her first. But yeah, we'll give her cake.

She talks nonstop. Mostly to herself. I catch her counting things now. Just random numbers. I also catch her saying "ABCDEFGWXYZ yay!" But she won't do this for me or sing the abc's.

She is still obsessed with strollers, but you can add soap to that now. She just loves to point out soap (or something that looks like soap) everywhere and tell me what color it is or what kind it is. Never knew how much soap is out there. Bizarre she is.

I am watching her stack her blocks eleven high on the coffee table. She can't possibly reach any higher, so she takes off the top and starts another stack with the same eleven blocks. "Take off, stack block, take off, stack block."

And, she can jump with two feet. She is thrilled. It is so cute.

DH and I might be the only one to find this funny but...
DD was in the ergo sleeping with the hood on. I was shopping when all of the sudden I feel her start to struggle and cry, "Where I go?! Where I go?!" Full panic mode.

ETA: I don't believe DD to be gifted per se. (I mean she is one year old.) I just want to celebrate her in the anonymity that is the interwebz. It is just so hard to do that over on the toddler board. They are generaly more negative. You guys are so much more positve. I love it.
#19 of 72 Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/2d0919be.jpg
I talked him through it. I handed him a yellow brush and said make a circle and color it. I said this is a face. Take this (blue) brush and make two eyes (notice the two stray dots). No, two dots in the circle for eyes. Here take the red and make the mouth. Take this purple brush and color the belly. Now color the top of the shirt. Make a arm here and here. Make a little circle here and here for the hands. Ok you made a line here and here for the hands you're going to make two lines on the bottom for the legs. "draw the pants?" he asks. Do you want shoes or feet? Ok we'll get another color. How about red?
He turned 2.5 the middle of last month. I talked him through this. The only time I went near the paper was to show him where I wanted the arms and hands. The rest he positioned himself. He told grandma on the phone he painted a picture of mamma.
#20 of 72 Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Why would you tell him how to paint it? I don't really get that.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#21 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
She is refusing point blank to let us read to her anymore. We actually had a fight over this last night. I feel stupid fighting over this, but it seems important. I think I know what it is, though--reading aloud is too slow. I atually feel this way myself.
What about poetry? You could take turns reading it to each other with expression.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#22 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkin03 View Post
my 6 yo dd got me to realize something i never even thought about. she was questioning neil armstrong being the first person on the moon. she reasoned that he couldn't be the first person on the moon, the person who photographed him stepping off the ladder was the first person on the moon. so i looked it up online and actually the photograph is of buzz aldrin stepping on the moon. the photographer was actually the 1st man on the moon - neil armstrong - so she was right! lol. the majority of the pics taken on the moon (of buzz aldrin) were taken by neil armstrong. armstrong took one of himself from the reflection on aldrins visor.
There was a camera mounted on one of the landers legs that took pictures of Niel Armstrong stepping off, but they aren't as good as the ones Niel took of Buzz using the still camera.

BTW One Small Step is DS's favorite book. If she's really into the Apollo program she might be interested.

#23 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 AM

DS has been interested in math lately. It's one of the ways I can get him to work on his pencil grip. He is also currently obsessed with mazes.

I got this pirate maze book from amazon. When he saw it arrive he was really excited and said "WOW! a maze book." Then he look in it and declared the pirates too scary. It's been difficult finding ones that are hard enough to be challenging, but that aren't too frustrating from a fine motor point of view.

We got a membership to the natural history museum. The hall of human origins has become a favorite. It's really wonderful to listen to him exclaiming with great passion about how "fascinating" and "amazing" everything is as we look at it. Of course after that he usually runs around the hall of minerals like a maniac.

It looks like next year probably won't be his K year, b/c he just won't follow directions and such. He just becoming dizzyingly asynchronous. In some ways he's very immature, such as taking his shoes off at school or tonight at a restaurant he spat on my salad, but yet he's reading and doing 1st grade math. It's very very crazy making. I'm not even sure how his fascination with scientific stuff like anatomy lines up with other kids age wise, or if it's just so outside the norm to make age comparisons irrelevant.

#24 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Well, because it was raining outside and we couldn't go for a walk and collect more wildflowers. I'd love to show you some of the digital photos he's been taking of the wildflowers. I'm telling you that boy is multi-talented and amazing.
#25 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
DS has been interested in math lately. It's one of the ways I can get him to work on his pencil grip. He is also currently obsessed with mazes.
We just got this: http://www.amazon.com/EcoMazes-Earth...1253126&sr=1-7 Not good for writing in but lots of fun to trace with fingers!

Quote:
He just becoming dizzyingly asynchronous.
Hang in there. This too shall pass, mama.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#26 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got this pirate maze book from amazon. When he saw it arrive he was really excited and said "WOW! a maze book." Then he look in it and declared the pirates too scary. It's been difficult finding ones that are hard enough to be challenging, but that aren't too frustrating from a fine motor point of view.
Ooooh, that book does look scary. DD has recently been into mazes. We don't have any books that are age-appropriate, but she does adult-level mazes and when she starts getting frustrated (usually about halfway through), she just disregards the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablame_today View Post
Well, because it was raining outside and we couldn't go for a walk and collect more wildflowers. I'd love to show you some of the digital photos he's been taking of the wildflowers. I'm telling you that boy is multi-talented and amazing.
I think the question is why you told him how to paint, rather than letting him paint how he wanted. I'll admit that I am curious as well. I love kids' art, and your DS's picture is very cute, but I do think it's more interesting and beautiful when they decide for themselves what to create and how to do it.
#27 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I don't really get it either

ellemenope, I loved reading about your little girl. Keep posting

DD is changing so much as she approaches her fourth birthday. She is becoming so much more aware of social/emotional things. It's quite interesting. Like little allowances DH or I will make for her and later she will say "Daddy, did you do that because x y z?" Kind of hard to explain, but for example suddenly she notices if we remember something little she liked and point it out to her again then she'll ask if we remembered that she liked it before. It's cool. I don't remember being so aware of how my mother interacted with me until I was much much older. But it also keeps you on your toes

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#28 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
I think the question is why you told him how to paint, rather than letting him paint how he wanted. I'll admit that I am curious as well. I love kids' art, and your DS's picture is very cute, but I do think it's more interesting and beautiful when they decide for themselves what to create and how to do it.

What kind of parenting philosophy is that, waldorf? *Yeah I'm not really unschooly, although I think if I show ds things once or twice and let him go it opens up more options for him to pursue his interests. *For example*Montessori materials for ages 2-6 are self-correcting but require proper presentation or demonstration by the teacher initially. *I'm not following Montessori, but it illustrates the same teaching style. *If you're still more interested in "why" maybe we'll start a thread discussing parenting styles or educational thoughts. *I mentioned once before that I teach ds phonics instead of reading to him because that's what he prefers. *A few people had the same thoughts then, "I just don't understand why anyone would do that.". There's been a thread here since then about spelling before reading that said Montessori also teaches that way.

FWIW they taught me how to draw and write and do crafts like beads and macrame and I developed my own style and did my own thing with them and continued to enjoy them over the years and even taught other people how to do the same who then developed their own styles and continued to enjoy the crafts.
#29 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What kind of parenting philosophy is that, waldorf? *Yeah I'm not really unschooly, although I think if I show ds things once or twice and let him go it opens up more options for him to pursue his interests. *For example*Montessori materials for ages 2-6 are self-correcting but require proper presentation or demonstration by the teacher initially. *I'm not following Montessori, but it illustrates the same teaching style. *If you're still more interested in "why" maybe we'll start a thread discussing parenting styles or educational thoughts. *I mentioned once before that I teach ds phonics instead of reading to him because that's what he prefers. *A few people had the same thoughts then, "I just don't understand why anyone would do that.". There's been a thread here since then about spelling before reading that said Montessori also teaches that way.

FWIW they taught me how to draw and write and do crafts like beads and macrame and I developed my own style and did my own thing with them and continued to enjoy them over the years and even taught other people how to do the same who then developed their own styles and continued to enjoy the crafts.
Not sure whether I understand the PPs post correctly but I gather she was teaching her DS to draw a person in a technical/anatomical sense, rather than have him create art.
When DS started drawing persons a few months ago, I would suggest things like "you might want to draw hair, granny's got blond hair" (he refused saying he only had a black marker which he couldn't draw blond with, so that's when he got his new, much treasured marker box with 40 different colours) or "you could add a second arm, people have two" or "check out whether she's got five fingers, people have five" (he'd count fingers and add another). He was very interested in getting it "right". Now he's creating wonderful pictures with very detailed persons (of course there is always a train, a coffeemaker or vacuulm cleaner involved), and I keep my mouth shut. I was actually planning to post my favourite, as soon as I find out how!

#30 of 72 Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, because it was raining outside and we couldn't go for a walk and collect more wildflowers.
I don't think the question was asking why he was painting. The question was asking why you instructed him on what to paint and exactly how to paint it. Seems very odd to me.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page