What do you think about 'teaching' toddlers to read? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
What about, "I think that bear looks happy. I wonder if it's just eaten some honey." Or, "You have to be very careful if you ever see a bear in the wild. You wouldn't want a bear to step on your toes!" Or, "Do you remember when we saw the bears in the zoo?" Or, "Would you like to sing a song about bears?" Or, "Grandpa told me he saw a bear when he went on a hike the other day. Would you like to call Grandpa and ask him about it?" You don't have to limit your comments to describing what you see.
I agree you don't need to just describe the pictures. You use it as a jumping off point for a conversation.

I'd likely have said something like "This history of stuffed bears...Teddy Roosevelt..." or "bears are omnivores" or "did you ever noticed that our neighbor Mr. Jones has an odd resemblance to a bear, why is that?"

Which make me wonder was my kid actually born a weirdo or am I somewhat to blame?
#32 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM

"A toddlers nature is in their physical body--they're sole job is to get used to be in their body. Once they are grounded in their body, then their brains are freed up to learn to read and write."

This is an opinion, not a fact. And this drives me crazy. The brain is part of their body. They are learning language and movement, all of which is based out of the the brain. I just do not agree at all with this premise of pre-determined developmental stages. Regardless of whether a child has been identified in a formal way as measurably "gifted" (bearing in mind that the definition of "gifted" varies and is evolving all the time) to do this is so very limiting. This is a Waldorf idea, which is a spiritual/religious idea, again, a theory, and one that has not been universally accepted as fact. While I don't disagree with the statement that formal instruction in reading isn't necessary at this age (in fact, I happen to agree), I wouldn't consider doing it in anyway detrimental to the "whole" child.

I am usually not one to post opinions or true disagreements with other posts, but this is one that has frustrated me for quite sometime. My dd is so far out of the range of "average" in so many ways, and so many people have tried to tell me what is "wrong" with my child since she was two and how to parent and what will/will not work, is/is not appropriate, that these kinds of one-size fits all statements are just frustrating.

That being said, with my daughter we did no formal teaching her to read before school started. She is one that will perfect a skill before displaying it and just about spontaneously started reading chapter books in 1st-2nd grade and in 4th grade is reading with comprehension and vocabulary (not just decoding or phonic reading) at a college level. Not only that, she is just so developmentally all-over-the-place in her emotional, physical, and intellectual being that putting her in an age-related developmental category just does not work for parenting, socially, or educationally.

I love so many of the practices behind Waldorf. However, I do not think that the basis of those practices are based on universal truths.

Okay, way off topic, but thanks for listening. I am not one for posting opinions..so I may come back and delete this...maybe. I don't like conflict (disagreements), but I think my opinion and thoughts on this are valid and worthwhile on this one.
#33 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Which make me wonder was my kid actually born a weirdo or am I somewhat to blame?
I think it's safe to say that you deserve some of the credit.
#34 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 PM

My friend always says that she's not sure if she created this or if she's just responding to it.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#35 of 35 Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I've been stuck in a rut that's a little too concrete in talking to him, and I should try to branch out a bit farther from what I know he can see. I know he understands more than I realize, a lot of the time, but it's easy to forget that for a little one that can't talk yet.
Sorry for hijacking your gifted forum!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page