Cognitive reasoning workbooks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you suggest some for a 4 year old?
#2 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Is your 4yo reading and writing independently? What sort of cognitive reasoning skills are you hoping to develop? Is there a particular reason why you're looking for a workbook format?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
MJB

My kids like those little BrainQuest decks. My youngest has enjoyed them since 2 and they even have some specifically for 2-3 yr. olds (which are very easy). I know BrainQuest makes workbooks too which might be fun.
#4 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 04:21 PM

I love The Critical Thinking Co. They have workbooks that my daughter has a great time working through. And they aren't your traditional academic workbooks.

www.criticalthinking.com

We used their books for our "homeschooling" supplemental stuff.
#5 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
My kids like those little BrainQuest decks. My youngest has enjoyed them since 2 and they even have some specifically for 2-3 yr. olds (which are very easy). I know BrainQuest makes workbooks too which might be fun.
This was going to be my suggestion.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#6 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Is your 4yo reading and writing independently? What sort of cognitive reasoning skills are you hoping to develop? Is there a particular reason why you're looking for a workbook format?

Miranda
She does read and write independently, I am looking at developing visual and logic skills, the only reason I was looking at a workbook was that she could do it independently but I am open to other ideas too.
#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM

What about Sudoku for kids? Or mazes? Or just drawing/painting/sculpting/etc? Or card/board games? DD will play matching/memory style games by herself very happily.

We actually have a ton of workbooks, including the BrainQuest ones, but DD's not at all into them. (The BrainQuest decks were briefly interesting to DD, until she discovered Trivial Pursuit, but I don't think there was any learning involved.) She does much more interesting things with plain paper. I don't think there's much by way of logic that preschoolers need to learn that they don't work out on their own. What is your kid interested in?
#8 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 PM

I just went to the local bookstore and bought the math workbook DS liked. Not too suprisingly it was the one with stickers. I also get him some maze books, though the last one I bought was too scary with pirates.

He loves the Little Dover maze books and activity books. These aren't really very challenging for him, but they are very inexpensive and small so they are perfect to keep in your purse and pull out at restaurants.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#9 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 AM

my 5yo DS is not reading independently but loves visual stuff, he enjoys the game Rush Hour which you can play alone ("Jr" version was too easy), Tangrams, Sodoku (got a Sodoku Jr book... a while back I got him a kids soduko book w/ stickers which he loved but breezed through, now writing the digits and keeping track of them is a little challenging for him, but there didn't seem to be a middle ground). He loves games like Blokus, Connect-4, guess who, mancala, and Othello, but those aren't as good for independent play. He likes mazes, dot-to-dots.

dissertating mom to three

#10 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Check out the MindWare website. They have all sorts of cool games and activities for kids. We have had some of their brainteaser books for plane trips and such. The kids enjoyed them.

http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTO....aspx?SG=PMDG1

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#11 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Two games that DD enjoys more than the workbooks from the Critical Thinking Company (which we love btw) are Castle Logix and Mighty Mind.
#12 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I *love* the MindWare site! So many great things! I got my DS a "Math Perplexors" logic book for his 8th birthday, and he LOVES it. I know they have various levels, so there may be something on par for your 4yo.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page