Coping with excessive emotional outbursts in the gifted child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has always been very intense and used to have major angry tantrums. Now that she is older, she is more of a hysterical weeper. This problem is hard enough to handle at home, but has been happening increasingly at school. Basically, she has a very hard time with unexpected negative changes in routine (such as not getting to do a promised activity) or anything she perceives as "unfair," and may collapse into storms of weeping.

She goes to a charter school which does not have many supports in place, whether for LDs or emotional issues or whatever, and which makes this clear upfront. I am worried that they may eventually kick her out, although I don't know for what (is there a disability label that could be easily attached to this behavior?) I'm pretty sure that she is already perceived as a problem by the principal.

I need help for coping with these outbursts. I don't like to tell her that she cannot cry, but they are to a point where people find them excessive and age-inappropriate. I sometimes tell her that she has X minutes to be upset and then she needs to start calming down. At home we sometimes send her to her room, where she usually picks up a book and self-calms after a few minutes. She is pretty unreachable when this upset, though she does not say or do anything regrettable--just cries and wails.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#2 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM

I just ran across this blog this weekend and the author has a daughter who sounds like she is similar to yours. http://gifts2love.blogspot.com/
Sorry that I am not much help otherwise, but maybe it will help a bit?

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#3 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 02:30 PM

She is still very young and it is very possible that she will be able to inhibit herself a little more as she matures. My oldest had these kinds of responses at school in kindergarten occasionally, but luckily he had a teacher that didn't overreact to it. I think that's the key when dealing with an intense child...The adult in charge shouldn't react with emotion as well. I also think that it's necessary to create a plan to reduce stress in general because outbursts are just more likely when stress reaches a certain level. Gifted kids with sensitive nervous systems are going to get stressed much more easily.
#4 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

I would look into doing some concrete planning with her at home to build her coping skills. Rigidity and difficulty with change is something that isn't just a matter of not crying or not getting upset. I have a same aged dd and for her it is a matter of delaying the processing of the upsetting event until a more appropriate time, so for us that means a lot of after school and after-playdate chats about the 'unfair' and other moments.

I also try to anticipate stuff like days when the schedule will be off---picture day on Wednesday and it'll likely mean she misses her favorite special. Rainy days = no outside recess. For us it's also a lot of buildup of frustration over her classroom experience as it pertains to academics/gifted issues.

As a kid I was simply told I had trouble taking criticism and it was horrible to know that wasn't it, but that I didn't understand why I couldn't just stop getting teary in class.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you read about Dabrowki's OEs? There's a book called Mellow Out They Say: If Only I Could which was of limited practical use for me as it was mostly about teens, but it was the point at which I (mostly) accepted that DD had limited control over these strong waves of emotion she experienced.

As for dealing with the school, I think it's as much about how the issue is framed as it is about whether they specifically have supports to offer. Terms like "difficulty with transitions," "emotional intensity" and "anxiety-based reactivity" may help them understand that these are developmentally appropriate for your child, and that they are things she needs adult support to develop appropriate strategies for. IME working with various teachers at various schools, being fact based and non-apologetic/minimizing has worked the best. I advocate for their emotional struggles similarly to how I advocate for DS's written output issues - they are just as real and just as valid to be addressed in the educational domain.

I have to go but will be back as I have some specific strategies I could share.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#6 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I would really love some concrete suggestions or a plan to put in place. I have talked to her today (a meltdown happened today--a friend in class got minorly hurt and as a result her playdate with him was cancelled) about how she should save up her hurt and big feelings for when she gets home, if they happen at school. She agreed, but I think this is much easier said than done. I think the school would also like some kind of script or plan, and I don't blame them. I do worry about making anything about this sound clinical or diagnosable, because, as I say, I am paranoid that they may eventually end up suggesting that she leave the school.

I have not actually read Dabrowski, but am familiar with the OEs, which she certainly has in spades.

Quote:
For us it's also a lot of buildup of frustration over her classroom experience as it pertains to academics/gifted issues.
This may be a factor. The problem seems to be getting worse as comments about school being boring and too easy have increased.

#7 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Have you been able to observe your dd in the classroom?

There seems to be a lot going on here. Your dd's meltdowns are increasing, she is complaining of being bored, the school does not have a support system in place to help, and you are fearful that if she doesn't get this under control, they'll kick her out. When is your school out for the summer?

While I believe that it's good for children to use their parents as a sounding/venting board, I'm wondering if it's really too much to ask of your dd to hold it in until she gets home. If I knew that I was going to feel like melting down daily (for whatever reason) and I had to save the reaction until I got home, I think I would be conflicted. I'm not sure if this could lead to a total avoidance of school, but I think the risk is there. Until you figure things out, can you see if there is a "safe place" not a time-out/punishment corner where your dd can retreat to if she needs to regroup?

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#8 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify, the meltdowns are not (thank goodness) every day. I would say two or three times a month? (Edited: this isn't even right. Looking back, she has had perhaps a max of 6 at school all year.) With some almost-meltdowns here and there, too. There have been several the last couple of weeks, though. DD's regular teacher has also been out multiple days, however, and two of these incidents have happened while she had a sub. DD does not adapt well to subs.

School is out in early June. I like the idea of a safe spot. Generally she gets sent to be with the office manager, whom she really likes (I like her too) so I think she does have a pretty safe person to be with. She is more like an assistant principal than an office manaher--school is v. small.

I may be being nutso paranoid, re thinking she might get kicked out. There have been a few odd comments that I am probably overthinking.

#9 of 49 Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 PM

If it's happening that infrequently, surely the school has seen it before and isn't considering asking your dd to leave. Kindergarten is a really tough year for a lot of kids, and substitute teachers can be a real tipping point for struggling kids.

I would really recommend learning about and teaching cognitive behaviour therapy techniques to help her cope. The Explosive Child is a good read - I've never used the exact technique but it informs my approach. I also really like Kids, Parents and Power Struggles. Empathy is my most powerful parenting tool, and part of that is accepting that these meltdowns are going to happen, and that I want them to stop so DD doesn't have to experience them versus worrying over external consequences. When I'm worried about the external I tend to be much rougher with DD than when I'm focussed on her experience, which really helps her re-center.

I would also really recommend finding a good play/art therapist who uses CBT as part of their practice. We waited until DD was 9 as we thought it would all pass, it wasn't that bad, going to therapy seemed an extreme response. I think we waited too long. DD deserved to have help dealing with her intensity. She now has a relationship with a counsellor so if she needs it she has a safe, familiar, positive place to go during the coming teen years. Our counsellor is amazing and reframes things for DD in ways we never could. DD has probably seen her 12 times over a year, going weekly for three weeks a couple of times and sporadically between. She hasn't seen her since September as she hasn't needed to, but she knows it's there for her if she needs it and she has far more tools in her toolbox to approach her life within her complicated internal self.

#10 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 AM

In regards to Subs....

This creates anxiety in my daughter, and creates the potential to be far more emotional.
Tammy
#11 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the meltdowns are not frequent, but they are quite lengthy and intense, with usually about 15-20 minutes of hysterical crying.

We have considered play therapy. I guess I've wondered how they would replicate the situations that cause problems in therapy. When not melting down, she is cheerful, happy, and talkative, and she loves new adults, so I would imagine her just sitting and merrily jabbering with a therapist. I don't know anything about this, though. I also don't have any idea how to find a good therapist.

#12 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Principal has requested a conference, and also said that if this happens next year in grade 1 they will be sending her home for the day.

#13 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#14 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Principal has requested a conference, and also said that if this happens next year in grade 1 they will be sending her home for the day.
would this be a problem? do you have to work so cant take off from work?

i see from your signature your dd is 6 years old. or around there. i cant see the date.

does your dd have anxiety? she seems to be ultrasensitive.

i would say hang in there. there are two things possibly happening here.

around 5 1/2 6 kids emotional stuff peak. its something i discovered thru experience not really seen anything online. my dd was totally pmsing. before she suddenly became this super mature kid. at that time teh only way i could explain my dd was 'pmsing'. could this be the case. not just in school, but everywhere. suddenly v. v. deep emotional expression. during that phase my dd described it as 'it feels like someone else lives within me, even though i know i shouldnt do that i cant help it'.

secondly you have already shared the crux of your problem. too boring. plus i would add if the people around her are frowning on this behaviour i am sure she is picking that up even though the asst princip is kind to her. so that could be an additional factor.

another thing. if you can swing it i would not work on coping strategies for her yet in a big way. there is a HUGE change that happens in second grade. i see so many children go thru that. its something i've discussed with teachers and its the norm. its like these kids suddenly BOOM grow up. in a v. subtle manner i cant really put a finger on and give you examples. the key is they develop coping strategies. its literally happens overnight. i have been volunteering at the classrooms so i see the change v. visibly.

lastly its your philosophy. what you want to do.

my dd has had the same issue. her anxiety was sky high in k and first. which is about the same with most kids. so during that time with permission from her teacher dd adn i would take mental breaks from school at least once a month. we'd take the day off and do something fun. the need for that disappeared around middle of grade 1. dd didnt want to take a day off from school. once in a while we still do take a day off. that helped her immensely. it was HUGE. we cant do therapy (long story).

i also did grieving circles for dd. when we were in a cuddly mood we'd sit and share how hard choice was. even at 5 it really helped dd. we'd sit and be sad and sometimes have a good cry together. we'd both share what we cant do. it was v. freeing for her. its something we continue to do.

however i would talk to dd about it. adn ask her for suggestions. i had been told to ask dd to take deep breathes. finally she told me they dont help her as it makes her hyperventilate. she basically just wants to be left alone. even at 5. and she would close her eyes and focus on a rainbow coloured ball in her mind. its something seh came up with.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#15 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Actually what helped us the most was music therapy and my asking the therapist to focus on her non-preferred tasks during sessions and working on flexibility and coping directly through generating song lyrics with the therapist or mirroring emotion through the instruments or the music itself.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#16 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:

They are treating it as a discipline problem. I don't believe that what you are describing is a discipline problem.

I think there is something else going on.

<< I do worry about making anything about this sound clinical or diagnosable, because, as I say, I am paranoid that they may eventually end up suggesting that she leave the school.>>>

This school may not be the right place for her. If they don't have supports to make her successful and the see her as a discipline problem, then it may not be the right place.

I have a DD who is both gifted and autistic. She needs to be where she is understood and supported, and there's NO way I would leave her all day in a school with no social worker and no special education teacher.

Having a label means that others can understand what is going on with her and make appropriate accomodations. It's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post
I would really recommend learning about and teaching cognitive behaviour therapy techniques to help her cope. ...
I would also really recommend finding a good play/art therapist who uses CBT as part of their practice.
I agree with this post.

Quote:
We have considered play therapy. I guess I've wondered how they would replicate the situations that cause problems in therapy.
They'll talk about what happened and how she felt.

They'll also help figure out what the school should do when this happens at school, and having her active with a therapist (who will write a letter to the school!) will show the the school that you are doing something.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#17 of 49 Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM

That is very, very upsetting!

I recall from previous posts that for you this school seems an only option as your other options are not feasible. I can absolutely understand how hard this must be. I also agree that it's really important for kids to have a supportive, understanding environment in order for them to thrive. This may be an age-specific issue that she'll transition out of when she meets the right developmental age for her to develop out of it, or it may be a key part of her as a human being.

I wonder if it's time to have a meeting with all involved staff so they have an opportunity to make clear what they're seeing and what other approaches might be possible. I have found these sorts of meetings very helpful. It amazes me how much teachers don't know. I don't mean this disrespectfully, it's just that I thought their training and experience was broader and that their toolbox had more in it. I've been key in re-framing my kids for teaching staff, to move things from being a discipline issue where behaviour mod is presumed to make kids learn the lesson, to understanding that there are developmental things going on that require alternative approaches.

Sending your DD home is not going to teach her self-management strategies. It may teach her to bottle up her feelings, or that she's unacceptable, or cause stomach problems. She may figure out a way to squelch her feelings enough to make it through the day, but those feelings will then manifest somewhere else. The goal should be to support her to gain the emotional self-regulation that she can make it through transitions and upsets more successfully.

DD was in a fine arts school for four years. She managed to keep it together at school - they had no idea what went on once she got home. I thought it was the best environment for her of what was available, but she made the decision to leave at 10 because she was bored, uninspired and stressed out. Since leaving that school and managing the transition to the new school, the stomach aches are gone, her eating has improved, the meltdowns have all but disappeared, she no longer asks to stay home from school.

To give you an idea of art/play therapy: using toys as props, kids can replay events and problem solve alternate strategies with the therapist; using clay, they can use their muscles and unpack their feelings; drawing/painting can help them express their feelings and then be discussed with the therapist. Sand tables are often hugely enjoyed by kids in therapy, as they focus on what their hands are doing and can at the same time really reach into their feelings and thoughts. I just sent a note to our therapist as DS requested to see her. In my email I outlined the two things that DS is worrying about, and the one additional thing that I'm noticing and would like her to explore. This gives her a starting point and she'll gently probe, but the session will actually end up being about what he's willing/interested in exploring with her. He had a major anxiety issue that she solved in one session and then he processed it for a couple of months. I think this is highly unusual, but speaks volumes to me about the benefit it provides to my kids. DD is very happy, social, sensitive to others. Other parents had NO idea of the depths of her intensity. With DD, the therapist provided her with alternate strategies to express her anger (which is how she often expresses her anxiety) at home, ways to not bottle up stuff. She really works on "it's all in how you look at it" with DD.

Holy novel!

#18 of 49 Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM

There's a lot of good advice that pp's have shared. K was a nightmare for ds. We moved out of state, chose a different school, and 1st grade was better. But when he started 2nd grade, we started to see some of the same issues and decided to pull him to HS. Over the past 1 3/4 years, ds has matured and is much better able to handle his emotions. So much so that he actually feels confident enough to go back to school next year - his choice. There may be a maturity factor to your dd's issues that can't be rushed, as memee noted.

I don't like that the school seems unable to work with your dd or provide other alternatives than to send her out of the classroom or home when there's a problem. I understand that the school may be small and doesn't have extra resources, but Linda on the Move and joensally have addressed the problems with this. This school may not be the best choice for your dd. While you are meeting with the school, you may want to check your gut and decide if what they are recommending is too much like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. You will want to check your anxiety comfort level with this since you will essentially be on call every day that your dd is in school in case she needs to be sent home.

I really agree with the therapist suggestion. But please know that sometimes therapy takes awhile. Even finding the right therapist could take awhile. And you really do have time, even if it doesn't feel like it. The best thing that you can do through this is to give your dd time and support to help her.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#19 of 49 Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am getting more and more upset about this. The more I think about it, the worse sending her home for the day sits with me. At the same time, I am extremely wary of doing or saying anything that would make it possible to suggest that DD has special needs that current school staff are not addressing. I just checked the school code of conduct, and they basically have carte blanche to kick her out whenever they want. joensally is correct that we basically have no other options (besides homeschooling or virtual schooling, and DD is a major extrovert who loves people) till second grade.

Any suggestions on how to handle this upcoming conference are welcome.

#20 of 49 Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
loraxc from my experience with elem schools and dcs i can see why they would want to send your dd home instead of work with her. esp. as the class size is so small.

they just dont have the staff to give your dd one on one time that she needs. i am sure they are saying this because she is using up too much of their resources. while causing a distraction which is not that big.

i would try not to get upset. do whatever you can to not do that because it really affects the way you say things at the conference.

go with the attitude that they would really like to help but really arent able to. i know at my dd's public school and at her previous small ps/dc it would be a staff issue.

however you know you have to take your dd out of there if they are not being sympathetic at all and implying there's something wrong with your dd. i am sure she has picked up the disapproving air of the principal and other staff in much the same way you have.

s at least with the upcoming conference you will know for sure the attitude of the school.

maybe your dd might improve over the summer holidays.

on days they have subs could you volunteer at the classroom. or volunteer on a regular basis?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#21 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
We have considered play therapy. I guess I've wondered how they would replicate the situations that cause problems in therapy. When not melting down, she is cheerful, happy, and talkative, and she loves new adults, so I would imagine her just sitting and merrily jabbering with a therapist. I don't know anything about this, though. I also don't have any idea how to find a good therapist.
i am a therapist. i don't work with kids myself, but took a play therapy course in grad school. they wouldn't need to replicate a situation in order for her to "play out" her emotions and learn ways to better cope. in my experience, many therapists have initial "meet me" sessions, some with no charge so you can see if it will be a match before you are committed to that person. in choosing, i'd start with your insurance company (unless money is not an issue), unless someone you know can refer you to someone they know/like. what area are you in? here's a place to get you started! http://www.a4pt.org/directory.cfm

Katie, mommy to Oliver (2007) and brand new Ava Estelle (2014)! 
Decluttering Challenge:  303/2014 items are gone!
$728 made from selling my "stuff"
(I've gotten rid of 3711 items over the last four years on this forum! Last years selling total: $456)
#22 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 AM

I'm currently reading "The explosive child", and am finding it really helpful. DS is very emotional and sensitive. But he is also "chronically inflexible" and the concept of the book is that some kids lack the skills to handle situations, and that typical punishment and reward systems don't teach the skills kids need to learn. Kids explode differently, some hit.. some cry. It might be worth taking a look at to see if it fits.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#23 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't really have any advice, just want to offer some s. I sounds like your DD's schools' attitude is deteriorating a lot faster than hers.

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to bet any money that while part of this is your DD's emotional make-up, this growing inability to cope with her emotional intensity at all is all about not being properly challenged in school and would probably magically disappear if she were finally challenged at her level.

Though the school has sent out these strong signals that they can't be bothered to accomodate her, maybe it's worth pushing for gifted assessment and accomodation once more before everyone throws up their hands, as it were? I hesitate to yet again mention the word grade skip as you have made clear you don't feel it's the right thing at this point, but it's the one thing that would be the least bother for the school and if they are thinking about throwing her out anyway, they might be persuaded to try it as a last resort.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#24 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

I have read The Explosive Child and for a while we tried it, but, to be brutally honest, I didn't really have the patience for the method. I have some things to work on myself. I am an intense personality, too. I will get it out again, but while it might be helpful at home, I don't think the school would be willing to implement it.

I talked to DD again to try once again to get to the root of why things have been so much worse lately. She again brought up school, but this time she said that the other kids don't listen and it makes it so she can't learn anything. I asked her if she was happier during spring break, and she said, with a smile, that she was. Still, she is very insistent that she likes school and wants to keep going. She really, really loves the arts focus and has a great connection with many of the special arts teachers. I actually feel that she has many allies at the school, but, unfortunately, there are also some people who do not like her. DD tends to be the kind of kid adults either click with or are driven crazy by.

I still am looking for alternate suggestions for a plan for the school when she melts down (other than sending her home). She is capable of self-calming if left alone--often she will cry for a while and then pick up a book. Once she gets engrossed, the storm passes. What about a social story book for this? Would it be reasonable to suggest that she have a place to go to be alone (with an adult somewhere nearby)? Or perhaps we need to focus more on prevention. While prevention is possible, it takes more time and energy than the school probably has a lot of the time. They are understaffed--it's just the teachers, a principal, and an office manager.

ETA that I am absolutely sure they would nix a grade skip--in fact, her teacher led off our last conference by saying "Some people would want to skip a kid like DD, but I think that would be a terrible idea because..." (We had never breathed a word about skipping to anyone. I actually agree that it would not be a good choice, although I have to say, she does really love older kids.)

#25 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm confused that the school claims to embrace giftedness and offers testing, yet will not cooperatively work on an issue that many gifted kids struggle with (emotional intensity and strong reactions), and that the teacher rejects skipping as she did.

Can you afford to test her privately?

Have you looked at the Iowa Acceleration Scale? It's available on Amazon.

If your options really are:
1. Stay where she is
2. Go to very sub-standard local school
3. Homeschool

...and you really believe #1 is not only the best but the only realistically feasible option, I think you're going to have to up your advocacy and cooperative work with the school to address this issue. It is unbelievable that they would consider removing a 6 year old for crying when she's upset.

The testing our kids had was an IQ test, an achievement test, and a few emotional/behaviour inventories. This told us what they were "at risk of," but the psychologist was also really clear that the intensity stuff was a manifestation of their gifted profiles. I wonder if you had this kind of info from a professional if it would move the school, which claims to provide services to gifted kids, to work with your DD on this. It's not about suggesting that this isn't problematic behaviour, it's about asserting that it's developmentally normal for your child and that we all need to work on it together so that she has better coping/self-management skills and moves away from the behaviour sooner due to the support/coaching she receives.

#26 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM

woa woa, how can the school legally send her home unless she a) has a fever, is barfing, etc?

She *legally* must attend school. If this is a public school, they should be able to get services from the school district, even if they are operated independently.

My guy attends a charter school and has outbursts like that. I can pm you the details and how it has worked for us (well, how it is working, we're still ironing out the details).

But basically, they cannot send her home. I don't see how that is possible.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#27 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I think charters can kinda do what they want in my state. They are allowed to send her home if they deem her behavior a certain level of disciplinary violation. They are also allowed to kick her out for "not being a good fit." Basically I think they have the rights of a private school. I need to research this more, though.

carmel23, I would love if it you would PM me.

We will test her privately if we have to, though this idea drives me crazy since we should be able to have it done for free. I have a reference for a good gifted psych in my town, but an eval (IQ and socioemotional) will be $700.

Quote:
The testing our kids had was an IQ test, an achievement test, and a few emotional/behaviour inventories. This told us what they were "at risk of," but the psychologist was also really clear that the intensity stuff was a manifestation of their gifted profiles. I wonder if you had this kind of info from a professional if it would move the school, which claims to provide services to gifted kids, to work with your DD on this. It's not about suggesting that this isn't problematic behaviour, it's about asserting that it's developmentally normal for your child and that we all need to work on it together so that she has better coping/self-management skills and moves away from the behaviour sooner due to the support/coaching she receives.
Yes!

Honestly, she is textbook intense gifted kid, perhaps with a dash of spectrum and anxiety thrown in to give her extra zest. I don't think she is diagnosable with anything in particular, though I think someone could force her into a category if they were really pushing it. Anxiety is probably the closest dx.

For extra irony here, the school claims to have a gifted enrollment of 20%.

#28 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Hugs to you, loraxc. My DD is about 6 months older than yours and sounds very similar. I found that play therapy has been helpful for our daughter, who also seems to manifest things as anger or anxiety. I am also a very intense person so it's doubly hard at times dealing with both of our emotions.

I've also read "The Explosive Child" and while I found it valuable, I found the strategies difficult to use. However, I next read "How to Talk to Your Children So They Will Listen" and it seemed to have a simpler way of doing the same thing as "Explosive Child" suggested.

We are still a work in progress and have gone from homeschool to a democratic school and we're going back to homeschooling because the demo school was not a good fit.

I'm not suggesting that you homeschool, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#29 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc
Still, she is very insistent that she likes school and wants to keep going. She really, really loves the arts focus and has a great connection with many of the special arts teachers
are you going to follow up on any of the ideas for seeing a counselor or art therapist or some one to help her learn better skills?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#30 of 49 Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have been talking to another local friend whose kid is pretty similar, and she suggests that I contact a program at my local university that offers free parent effectiveness training in conjunction with an ongoing study they are doing on oppositional defiant disorder (child does NOT need to have ODD to qualify). She says it's the only thing that has worked for them. On her rec, I will contact them, though we may not qualify for the program.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page