Obsessions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is constantly going through new obsessions. Sometimes they will last a day or two, some times weeks on ends. During that time she wants to only do whatever she is obsessed with. Sometimes, she doesn't want to eat, sleep, even go potty because she's to absorbed in her current obsession.

Right now it's airplanes. She spends most of her day staring out the window trying to look for airplanes (we live close to a few major airports so they go by often). She wants me to draw them for her, she wants to go outside and just look at them. If we go to the park she wants to go to the swings so she has a better view (because there is a hole in the trees). If she hears one go by she stops everything and runs to the window and signs for me to listen to the airplane and asks where it is. She's even signed to me that she wants them to slow down so she can see them longer. We went to the library and found a great book on them with detailed pictures and everything but nothing seems to be enough!! She keeps asking for more but it's not like she's happy about it rather she has this strained face like she is in pain and only seeing more/learning more about them will help with the pain.

Is this a normal thing? It just seems so weird to me that she seems almost like she's in pain when she's asking for more? How am I going to survive a whole lifetime of these obsessions!!!!!????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 03:35 PM

We suffer from the obsession du jour, but we really struggle with the ones that last months.

From about 14 months through 17 months it was all about Elmo.

We had let her watch Seseme Street a couple of times on TV and watched some Elmo clips on Youtube. She was hooked overnight. At 14 months she could only say, "Momo". (I kinda miss those days) At night we would ask her what song to sing--"Momo" (Time to say goodnight-Andrea Bocceli) Do you want to hear a story-- "Momo" (a made-up story about Elmo and his freinds.) Her favorite 'joke' was, "Is Elmo a red monster?" For some reason she thought that statement was hilarious. She would spot him everywhere. I was begining to think he was some sort of omnipotent toddler god. She once spotted him on a package of frozen food an aisle away!

It got so bad we had to cut him out. We very slowly and carefully got rid of her Elmo cup. We cut out seseme street as well as all other children's programming. We threw out her Elmo live doll (A gift, but it didn't work anymore anyway. She still asks about him. It has been months. We say, "Elmo is living with Oskar now." We get a kick out of that.)

As of since, we do not buy commercialized charachters. If we see one out and about, I do not give them names. I swear once she knows their name that is the end of it.
---
Now it is all about baby dolls. She wants one so bad, but we are waiting till her birthday. She is so verbal now, and this makes it much much harder.

50 times a day I hear, "I want a yittle baby wiff a bald head and paci for my birthday."

Every morning I am awoken with, "Mama, get up! I wanna get dressed so we can go to da baby store and hold babies!"

She toddles out from her nap sleepily, "I wanna look up babies on da laptop now."

She went up to a little 2 year old at the beach and told her that her baby was thirsty. "Feed your baby milk. She is thirsty!" She started out very sweet but then got increasingly upset as the little girl in her mind continued to neglect the doll. We had to drag her away.

She can go on and on about babies. It makes her so happy. With Elmo... I don't know. It left a bad taste in my mouth. But, we are embracing this baby phase. We just have to hold her off another month! But, it is going to make a really sweet birthday.
---
So my advice is to embrace her obsessions as best you can, try to limit any exposier to things you would not want her to get obsessed with, and be prepared for when she really starts talking (which sounds like it is just around the corner.) Good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post
We had let her watch Seseme Street a couple of times on TV and watched some Elmo clips on Youtube. She was hooked overnight. At 14 months she could only say, "Momo". (I kinda miss those days) At night we would ask her what song to sing--"Momo" (Time to say goodnight-Andrea Bocceli) Do you want to hear a story-- "Momo" (a made-up story about Elmo and his freinds.) Her favorite 'joke' was, "Is Elmo a red monster?" For some reason she thought that statement was hilarious. She would spot him everywhere. I was begining to think he was some sort of omnipotent toddler god. She once spotted him on a package of frozen food an aisle away!

It got so bad we had to cut him out. We very slowly and carefully got rid of her Elmo cup. We cut out seseme street as well as all other children's programming. We threw out her Elmo live doll (A gift, but it didn't work anymore anyway. She still asks about him. It has been months. We say, "Elmo is living with Oskar now." We get a kick out of that.)
I love the Elmo as a toddler god comment! I think it might be true. DD's never actually seen Seaseme Street but she's obsessed with him and points him out wherever we go (and of all the words she knows, she can say his name ).

But yeah, she went through a Dora obsession too and since then we don't let her watch TV at all anymore. It was just insane, she just couldn't let it go and even made a point to learn how to fingerspell dora! We bought some Dora books that were really cheap and that seemed to satisfy her obsession.

So have the obsessions gotten better? Because we're seriously getting crazy here!

ETA: we totally had the baby doll obsession here too! I really want to get her the Gotz Maxy Aquini for her 2nd birthday (yeah, i like to plan ahead!). What are you planning on getting her?
#4 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 AM

Obsessions are something we know a TON about. My 8 year old Son has gone from one obsession to the next and they last for about six months and he will move on to something else...
We've had...Baseball, Freshwater Fish, Birds, Policemen and SWAT Team. He will go through extreme obsessions with these things and then move on to something else for a while then go back....Since it's Spring now the bird and fish obsessions are coming back. The Baseball obsession never left and is magnified this time of year....He will not do anything else but draw birds and fish, take his binoculars out and look at birds and when he's not doing that he is throwing a ball or making us hit to him....It's very exhausting!
I was hoping as he got older they would fade away a little but that hasn't happened...If anything there are just more things he obsesses over the older he gets.
#5 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post
I love the Elmo as a toddler god comment! I think it might be true. DD's never actually seen Seaseme Street but she's obsessed with him and points him out wherever we go (and of all the words she knows, she can say his name ).

But yeah, she went through a Dora obsession too and since then we don't let her watch TV at all anymore. It was just insane, she just couldn't let it go and even made a point to learn how to fingerspell dora! We bought some Dora books that were really cheap and that seemed to satisfy her obsession.
I think it is awesome that your DD can fingerspell at what? 16 months. Good for her. And good for you. DD never seemed to have the fine motor skills needed for fingerspelling. And, we were so lazy about looking up knew signs. If they weren't in the two books we had or the video we didn't know them. We actually just started making up signs for things DD really wanted to say. She still does the little dance move we taught her when she wants ice. (Think Saturday Night Fever)

Quote:
So have the obsessions gotten better? Because we're seriously getting crazy here!
No! I think it is going to get worse for us before it gets better. And, it gets way worse when they start talking in paragraphs.

An example-- One of her lesser obsessions right now are chairs made for toddlers. We passed a set out out in front of Ben&Jerry's on our way to dinner this passed Saturday. I tried to draw her attention to the other side of the street. Didn't work. So, I told her that we would eat first and then we would come back for ice cream, and she could sit in her "yittle chair".

Well, her response was quick and sure. "No, Mama. Let's sit in these chairs now and then go to eat at da restauraunt." So, we spent the next few blocks arguing about how we need to eat dinner first and then ice cream, and how we have to patronize the establishment in order to sit in those chairs, etc.

You know, it might be nicer than a tantruming toddler, but it is still exhaustive when you have to argue with a 22 month old, and they are actually making good points. And, you better believe that when we got up from our table DD asked about those damned little chairs. She never forgets.

I know this is not an issue seen in gifted children alone, but I can not find anyone IRL that can relate. DD's obsessions seem to be so magnified by advanced communicative skills and a stronger memory.

I know a lot of little girls go through a baby doll phase. But, we are eating, breathing, and living baby dolls over here. It is so sureal.

Quote:
ETA: we totally had the baby doll obsession here too! I really want to get her the Gotz Maxy Aquini for her 2nd birthday (yeah, i like to plan ahead!). What are you planning on getting her?
Well, I still need to make a decision between a Corolle and the Bitty Baby. They are both beautiful and well made dolls.

Corolle makes a baby that can get wet and float called the Tidoo. DD loves them in the store. Is that like the Aquini? Off to google...

DD absolutely knows what she wants. She wants a bald, plastic, newborn with a hat and a paci. I think if we got her a baby with hair she would throw it right back at us! This will be her second doll. Baby Stella (by Manhattan Toys) has know idea what's coming.
#6 of 9 Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by preslee1031 View Post
Obsessions are something we know a TON about. My 8 year old Son has gone from one obsession to the next and they last for about six months and he will move on to something else...
We've had...Baseball, Freshwater Fish, Birds, Policemen and SWAT Team. He will go through extreme obsessions with these things and then move on to something else for a while then go back....Since it's Spring now the bird and fish obsessions are coming back. The Baseball obsession never left and is magnified this time of year....He will not do anything else but draw birds and fish, take his binoculars out and look at birds and when he's not doing that he is throwing a ball or making us hit to him....It's very exhausting!
I was hoping as he got older they would fade away a little but that hasn't happened...If anything there are just more things he obsesses over the older he gets.
Quote:
No! I think it is going to get worse for us before it gets better. And, it gets way worse when they start talking in paragraphs.
Yikes to both!!! I'm going to need more . I'm also planning on going back to work full-time probably once she's around 2 (if everything works out OK) and I really wonder how a daycare/preschool/nanny is going to handle her!

Quote:
I think it is awesome that your DD can fingerspell at what? 16 months. Good for her. And good for you. DD never seemed to have the fine motor skills needed for fingerspelling. And, we were so lazy about looking up knew signs. If they weren't in the two books we had or the video we didn't know them. We actually just started making up signs for things DD really wanted to say. She still does the little dance move we taught her when she wants ice. (Think Saturday Night Fever)
Well, she's far from perfect. Dora isn't perfect because she can only finger spell using her thumb, pointer finger and pinkie (the middle finger and ring finger are just sort of along for the ride! ) but she does know a number of letters and wants me to sign/sing the alphabet to her all the time. Lately she gets a kick out of pointing out different letters and signing and saying them at the same time.

This is another one of her obsessions, though, and she has to learn them all the time! She'll drag out my signing books and point to ones she doesn't know or if i don't know a sign a tantrum will certainly ensure! We went to the zoo a couple of weeks ago and she wanted to know the name of every animal we went by. I tried fingerspelling the ones she didn't know but she wasn't having it! So I started signing BIG CAT for a lot of them too and that worked for a little while until she caught on and we had to leave before she threw a huge tantrum!!

Quote:
I know this is not an issue seen in gifted children alone, but I can not find anyone IRL that can relate. DD's obsessions seem to be so magnified by advanced communicative skills and a stronger memory.
Yep, I've had a few people suggest to me that we look into autism because of this. Most people just don't get that she spends the ENTIRE day at the window staring at airplanes (or whatever her current obsession is). It's really exhausting!

Quote:
I know a lot of little girls go through a baby doll phase. But, we are eating, breathing, and living baby dolls over here. It is so sureal.

Well, I still need to make a decision between a Corolle and the Bitty Baby. They are both beautiful and well made dolls.

Corolle makes a baby that can get wet and float called the Tidoo. DD loves them in the store. Is that like the Aquini? Off to google...

DD absolutely knows what she wants. She wants a bald, plastic, newborn with a hat and a paci. I think if we got her a baby with hair she would throw it right back at us! This will be her second doll. Baby Stella (by Manhattan Toys) has know idea what's coming.
That's funny. We actually are looking for a doll that has long hair so DD can style/shampoo it (she keeps trying to do her own hair or mine and her poor stuffed monkey's). Plus, she was born with a ton of hair and I assume any other kids we have will be too so that's another thing. Yep, with the Aquini you can bath it (I think it comes with a bathrobe and a rubber duck). The ones that are not Maxy's are bald and i think they are somewhat cheaper so it's worth checking out.
#7 of 9 Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM

I came on here to start a similar thread, but I'll just jump in on yours to commiserate. My thread title was going to be, "Oh, the intensity!"

DS is almost 3.5, and is currently obsessed with dinosaurs. That and the "why" phase. Every morning, he wakes up with a new question on his lips. "Mommy, why do allosaurus attack triceratops?" "If the stegosaurus has a brain the size of a walnut, what else is in its head?" "Does the parasauralophus eat ferns before or after it makes noise with its crest?" "Is the wannanosaurus a herbivore or a carnivore?" "What kind of dinosaur does a velociraptor eat?" These are real questions, just from today. It feels like the questions never stop. We play with dinosaur figures constantly. We watch Dino shows on TV. We go on the computer to answer dino questions, and comb through books to find out names of a dino we don't recognize.

He's also going through one of these phases when he is just very intense, like his mind is absorbing at twice its normal (already intense) rate. He doesn't sleep in these phases, up in the dark in his room well after lights out and awake an hour or more before normal. And he never.stops.talking. He usually goes to bed at 8-8:30 and sleeps until 7-7:30. This last week, he's been up until at least 10, and awake again at 5:30. No naps, either. I usually go to bed at 11-12 and get up at 7, so I'm sleep deprived too. Not to mention deprived of my down time/work time/housecleaning time from 8-11 p.m.!

I'm worn out. I just want to say, "shut up! just for a minute! Can you please stop just peppering me with questions all.the.time!" Of course, I don't. I try to continue to answer questions as I can. And I come here to vent to all of you.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, just know I feel your pain.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2010, 12:26 AM

I kind of enjoy 4 yo DD's obsessions. It's been dinosaurs for....7 or 8 months now? Horses before that. We've had to broaden our interests to include other things with teeth - reptiles, sharks, dragons etc - because the books in the library were getting a bit repetitive. On the up side: 1. I've learned a ton too, never having been into dinosaurs myself. 2. she's so easy to buy for, plan for, converse with. Opening for any conversation - what kind of creature are you today? How do I get her to go faster? Tell her to be an ornithomimus. 3. it feeds her imagination endlessly. Never ever bored. Will invent new dinosaurs or dragons or new dinosaur/dragon games and tell you about them. We have whole families of plastic dinosaurs, all with names and relationships to each other. Even music gets characterized as 'herbivore' or 'carnivore'. 4. she always has something she likes to play with other kids (downside - doesn't adapt well to their games, but I've seen her be very persuasive). 5. other people have a sense of who she is. DD = fierce creatures. 6. lots of fun going to the Natural History Museum and aquarium.

franklinmarxmom, have you watched Prehistoric Park and Walking With Dinosaurs on Youtube?

The only downsides I can think of are when I've finally had it, plus the total lack of other obsessed kids in our social circle.

I don't know about normal, but it can definitely be a good thing in your life. Embrace the airplane! Love the airplane! Aerospace museum, here you come! Enjoy!
#9 of 9 Old 05-23-2010, 11:03 AM

DS#1 (now 7) was obsessed with sharks and marine biology from age 3 to about 5.5. We just went with it. We had dozens of books on sharks and marine biology. We went to aquariums. We watched nature shows. He moved on eventually.

After that went its course, and he had more exposure in school, he broadened his interests. He has lots of things that interest him now: Legos, Indiana Jones, karate, video games, Star Wars, Greek and Roman mythology, archeology, the US Civil War. He also writes his own comic books.

So... "embrace the airplane" is probably pretty good advice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page