Mildly gifted most likely to be underachievers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi View Post
I guess in general I think we have to take a lot of this research with a grain of salt. I mean, gifted children are so diverse in intelligence, personality, and many of learning disabilities paired with giftedness. As a result, some are going to be like me (underachieve to fit in), and some aren't. Some won't be capable of doing that for whatever reason. Some profoundly gifted people won't have any social skills, and some will be so beyond charismatic we won't know what hit us. I think as parents and educators (as I know I am not the only one on this board), we have to be accepting of the different experiences the gifted have as well as their common attributes.
you said it!

I often remember this idea that when looking at these sorts of groupings, there is usually more diversity *within* a group than the difference of the average between groups. Also, being academically gifted, or having a particular IQ is really and truly only one part of who someone is. Of course, I get that the extreme outliers may be a special case.

That said, I think there may be some structural aspects of our mainstream education system that are very demotivating.

dissertating mom to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List