Rainbow Fairies questions - reading level? alternatives? What do I tell 1st grade? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gail Carson Levine is much less trashy than the covers might lead you to suppose -- her books are pretty smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 AM

I just went on the scholastics site and it listed the some of the rainbow magic books as ages 6-9. Since age 6 is listed, you should be fine. Also, if you child is really advanced, that is a good thing! Better way ahead than behind. If you want, you could talk with the teacher, but I don't think it is necessary. Just keep up her log for reading, and try to expose her to other types of books such as historical fiction, mysteries, non fiction, funny books, etc.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 AM

Old thread!

I did take a look at the link to see if the "Rainbow fairies" you linked to were the ones I was thinking of, and yup!  They were.  

I, too, hate the Rainbow Fairies.

The Disney fairy books are equally dreadful:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Fairies-Book-series/lm/R29BCKTEOPUOE

I am not anti fairy (of any sort) but would love some decent fairy books for emerging readers.

There are some good fairy or other alternate beings books for older kids -but many "fairy" series for the younger  set seems to be consumer driven drivel.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Way way old thread! Luckily the Rainbow Fairies stage was short.

Dd is entering 3rd grade now and has moved completely past Rainbow Fairies. The Rainbow Fairies did serve a purpose though -- those evil, predictable books do build fluency. Kids don't have to worry too much about the plot so they can get comfortable with reading. Dd was past the Rainbow Fairies by the middle of first grade.

She never liked Disney Fairies much, thank heaven. She read the entire Harry Potter series between 1st and 2nd grade. She's reading at a 6th-7th grade level right now, as far as I can tell, and is interested in historical fiction for the most part. Basically, she reads whatever she feels like - and that's a range from 3rd grade level (The World According to Humphrey) and to 7th (Patience, Princess Catherine). I think she could read books at a higher level, but they've got themes that don't appeal to her. I'm perfectly happy to let her read what she wants.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

User Tag List