Cute bright (gifted? bright? just cute?) toddler story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Obviously, at 2.5, there's no way to know if DS is gifted or not, but I've come to know this as a safe place to share stories of our children's accomplishments.

DS is always coming up with the funniest things to say! The other day he was having a drink, and we were about to go out to eat. He said, "Mommy, do you see my lips? Put this lip (bottom lip) here (on the outside of the glass). Put this lip (top lip) here (on the inside of the glass). Then hold it up to your mouth like this. This is how you drink. (Then takes the glass down from his mouth) Now, I want you to practice that when we get to the restaurant.

I laughed so hard. I have no idea where he comes up with some of the stuff he says!

The other thing I had to share somewhere (and this is safe, right?) is that a couple of nights ago, DH said, "Have you seen the K-E-Y-S?" I giggled (because he spelled keys, of all things) and said, "N-O" and DS said, "I haven't either, Daddy." DH and I stopped in our tracks and laughed that there was no way DS knew what we were talking about.

Then yesterday I put a new CD in the radio in the car. A children's song comes on that goes, "I am a C. I am a C-H. I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N. And I have C-H-R-I-S-T in my H-E-A-R-T and I will L-I-V-E-E-T-E-R-N-A-L-L-Y."

From the back seat I hear, "Mommy, is this song about Jesus?" He doesn't go to Sunday school and his preschool is not a religious school.

To be fair, I don't think he can spell. I don't even think he quite knows all of the letter sounds. (He goes to Montessori school and they teach the sounds before the names.) He knows about half of the letter names. What I do think is that he is very perceptive and can sort of read the context clues of a situation to figure stuff out. That's the only way I can explain it!

Ok, if you made it this far, thank you. It's nice to have a place to share these stories without being accused of "bragging".

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#2 of 3 Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM

He sounds adorable! On the flip side of you can't conclusively determine if your toddler is gifted, you can't determine that he isn't either, and, regardless, this is a welcoming group. .

You know, there are kids that can start to learn how to spell pretty early..or at least get an idea of words. If you read to him a lot, if he has heard the alphabet songs with the names of the letters AND has been introduced to the sounds..he could very well put all that together for himself. I know parents that have said that there is no way that the child did what it looked like they did and then, sure enough, they actually were, me included. I know I way underestimated my dd, and still do, because she just blows me away sometimes.

He is at such an awesome age...I love hearing about the young ones on this board, especially since mine is 10 now.

Enjoy these moments, and try not to forget to write them down.

- Sky
#3 of 3 Old 08-17-2010, 02:25 AM

I love the toddler threads. Here's to the best age (as of yet!) I loved your stories.

I have a couple of cute bright toddler stories myself. I hope you don't mind if I share.

Today we went to the Children's Museum. They had a wall with the alphabet on it and behind the door of each letter was an object that started with that letter.

DD walked the entire wall saying "A is for...Apple! B is for...Ball! C is for...Cupcake! etc." The whole way down. The only things that gave her issues were that she called the queen a lady for Q and the Xylophone was a piano. Oh, and the V was X. oops. Besides just knowing the alphabet, I was impressed that she identified the violin correctly. Not bad for a 25 month old. And, this is from the girl that seems to not want to touch the alphabet lately and is much more concerned with her jumping skills. I am pretty sure she has plateau-ed.

On the way home I asked her if she had fun and she blurted this out: "Oh yes. My favorite part of the Magic House was when we went to the toy store at the end because I liked all of those [cheap toy] instruments." But, I am pretty sure that is the first time she has spontaneously used the word 'favorite' correctly.

Yesterday, after I fueled the car she uttered this: "The car eats the gas just like oo-mans eat food. The car eats the gas to go fast. The car burns the gas just like oo-mans burn the food for energy. Mommy put the gas in the car's mouth?" To which I informed her about the tank. (We had talked about this briefly the last time a had to fill up, but she said exactly that with hardly a breath, and it was a perfect summary of our conversation.)

We are visiting my parents right now. She was doing her business on the potty the other day and my niece kept walking in on her and we all overheard DD say, "Can you please give me some privacy, [Cousin]?"

Later, when the girls took a bath together DD commented, "Oh, you have nipples, too, huh? Mommy, look. [Cousin] has nipples, too, just like me... Mommy's nipples are on her boobs"

And, tonight, just before going to bed: "Mommy, I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and go to the baseball game. I am going to eat hot dogs and catch a ball. I'm so excited."

On a tad bit heavier note, she adores her aunt so much that she seems to be afraid of disapointing her to the point of horrible crying fits and hyperventilation when she senses she has done something wrong in front of her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page