yeah it's puzzles again :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2010, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DD 3.5 years is going through a puzzle kick... she's doing all the 35 piece puzzles over and over, and I mixed up the pieces of two and she has done those two as well. The floor ones with irregular shapes, square ones, and 60 piece ones as long as it is something interesting to her, like a unicorn scene, and like the space ones, but not the vehicle ones we have

She tends to like the girlie puzzles, and we're due for some puzzle updating. So I guess do we get more 60 piece ones? Or one hundred? I'm thinking that might be more interesting... since she does like 5 a day lately. Did your little one spend more time on one that had more pieces?

Is 200 pieces too much? I don't know. They say 8+ on some of the 100 piecers... I'd like the pieces to not be too small, since I don't want to bring anymore little things into the house until my very active 8 month-old (who climbs on the dinner table (!) stops putting little things in his mouth.

grazie!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe go to a thrift store and pick some up to try out? And remember, you can always do some together.

We had a little guy in the Sunday School class I used to teach who used to do a puzzle and then take it apart, turn the pieces upside down do he couldn't see the picture, and then do it again! He was 2-3 at the time.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We had a little guy in the Sunday School class I used to teach who used to do a puzzle and then take it apart, turn the pieces upside down do he couldn't see the picture, and then do it again! He was 2-3 at the time.
My son does that. Freaks me out every time.

OP, the important thing in our house is to be aware of is the size of the piece. We tend not to have a problem with 200 piece puzzles with pieces that are ~1.5" on a side or more for dexterity reasons. It's sometimes hard to figure out how big the pieces themselves are, but 200 piece puzzles at least 32-36" wide total tend to be about 1.5 inches wide.

Thrift store puzzles are generally better than cheapo ones from Target. We find that the cutting of the pieces on cheapo puzzles can lead to a bit of a sloppy fit.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I highly recommend the 100 piece Melissa and Doug floor puzzles. They have very large pieces and take more time to put together and definitely not a choking hazard for little ones.

Here's an example: 100 pc. M&D puzzle.

Mama to dds, Juju(7) and Bea(4)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsmommy View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I highly recommend the 100 piece Melissa and Doug floor puzzles. They have very large pieces and take more time to put together and definitely not a choking hazard for little ones.

Here's an example: 100 pc. M&D puzzle.
Melissa and Doug are GREAT! They fit together nicely, have good sized pieces.

We have a lot of wooden ones and like them a lot!

Another option is 50-75 piece large FLOOR puzzles, mine love the floor puzzles and the pieces area big enough I dont think we have ever lost one! It also get some movement in since they have to scoot all over to get the pieces moved in place!

We get a lot of puzzles at the thrift store and garage sales. That way if we lose pieces it is no big deal.

Mine also liked these: Seek N Find puzzles from age 2.5- 4.5

Now they have them all memorized, but it was nice to get a longer shelflife on them- they still enjoyed them long after they mastered the 25 piece portion. The seek and find part is fun as teams or a family event.

Here is another option too wooden 3D puzzles. They are trickier than the flat puzzles and again- have large pieces, but much more challenging than a puzzle with the same # of pieces that is flat traditional pieces.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!

The M and D ones look great. We have some 3-D puzzles, and she is really into the 2-D ones. I'd like to keep her busy for a bit, instead of her doing the puzzles in like 5 minutes. :

There are some really nice ravensburger puzzles, too, that I've found, and the pieces for the 100 piece puzzle are about the same size as the 35 piece puzzles...

And thank you for reminding me to check out the thrift store! We have a great good will I can check.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Ravensburger puzzles are the absolute best. They are expensive but well worth it. We own a lot of them and after years of use they have held up better than any other. Dd has done them over and over again and loves them more than other brands. She has always loved the fantasy genre and thankfully they offer many (unicorns, fairies, princesses etc.). The 100 pc. ones are great and the pieces are still quite large but not as large as the M&D floor puzzles and should probably be done at a good size table. The piece size is still fairly large for the 200 pc. puzzles, it might be a good idea to have one on hand if she starts whizzing through the 100 pc. ones. I'm all for ignoring the ages on puzzles!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsmommy View Post
Ravensburger puzzles are the absolute best. They are expensive but well worth it. We own a lot of them and after years of use they have held up better than any other. Dd has done them over and over again and loves them more than other brands. She has always loved the fantasy genre and thankfully they offer many (unicorns, fairies, princesses etc.). The 100 pc. ones are great and the pieces are still quite large but not as large as the M&D floor puzzles and should probably be done at a good size table. The piece size is still fairly large for the 200 pc. puzzles, it might be a good idea to have one on hand if she starts whizzing through the 100 pc. ones. I'm all for ignoring the ages on puzzles!
yeah, its funny, having 2 big brothers, we have a lot of vehicle and space puzzles. She tolerates the space ones, but not really into the vehicles. But She *loves* the unicorn, animals, fairies, princesses!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Yes, vehicles wouldn't have worked so well here either. Dd would do a solar system puzzle or some animal ones, especially dolphins, but she really got into the fantasy ones. She'd make up names and stories for the subjects, her favorite at that age was probably this one Amazing Unicorns, I still remember some of their names, Twinkle, Bubblegum and Mane.

Have you tried ebay?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:00 AM

My 3 yo likes to do the puzzles upside down, too!

Another vote for the Ravensburger puzzles. Look for the XXL ones. They have larger pieces, like maybe 1.5 x 1.5 in.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

When dd was younger (she's 4yo now) she was able to figure puzzles out but still had a little trouble manipulating the small-ish pieces. M&D and Ravensburger large piece puzzles were much easier for her little toddler hands.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

I agree Ravensburger are the best. We're frustrated with M&D puzzles for three reasons: the "map" of the puzzle doesn't match the actually puzzle, every time! I know some don't like to look at the picture, but I tend to do that the first time, and it drives me insane that they moved some planet so it's not against the moon or added in three more blue butterflies... Second, the image quality is poor on some, like pixelated for some of the picture, like they over-enlarged it, then pasted okay pictures on top. No way to know til you open and do the puzzle. Third, it's impossible to get the pieces back into those boxes unless you very ccarefully stack them just so. It's a puzzle in itself! But one no one around here is interested in doing (except DH, who's anal, but it frustrates him sooo much that they didn't just make the box a centimeter bigger).

The pieces themselves are fantastic, and if you need a lot of puzzles, they are probably worth it b/c they have so many different ones and you can find them cheap.

But my mom does daycare and the Ravensburger ones are going strong decades later!

User Tag List