new book that looks like an important read! Emotional Intensity of the G student! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished a preview chapter of this book that is not yet out:

Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students

And I can't wait to read the list! I know a lot of people on this board have expressed concern about the issues discussed in this book, and this might be really helpful! I want to read the rest, now!

You can download the preview chapter here.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#2 of 28 Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Thank you for sharing this. I am definitely going to read this book.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#3 of 28 Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I am definitely going to read this book.
Yes, it has been awhile since a book like this has appeared it strike really close to home. And I'm glad to see this book coming out now, at the beginning of the school year, and not at the end!

I also like that it seems to be addressed to both parents and educators.

It's like a riff on misdiagnosis, written by a school psychologist, with work sheets and stuff. Anxiety/depression are discussed and examined.

I have to say I saw my son in one of the examples.

#4 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I'll be getting this one, as well as the prufrock press book due out on nov01 on 2E. The Eides also have a dyslexia book coming out soon, and while we haven't established whether DS has dyslexia, his test scatter looks like it and I'll read anything Eides and love to support their work. <holy run on>

I've been looking for some new reading .

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#5 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post
Yes, I'll be getting this one, as well as the prufrock press book due out on nov01 on 2E. The Eides also have a dyslexia book coming out soon, and while we haven't established whether DS has dyslexia, his test scatter looks like it and I'll read anything Eides and love to support their work. <holy run on>

I've been looking for some new reading .
Me too! And I love that this author is a school psych, so she can speak the language that the school folks speak. I love Dr. James Webb's books, but they are often a bit on the clinical side, and it is sometimes hard to make the leap to the world of schools.

#6 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

I'm looking forward to reading this... I recognized so many students in the composite cases, and I do wonder about DD and her emotions lately. It looks really well-written and interesting!
#7 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM

thanks, this is very timely. I'd just checked out a very very disappointing book from the library called "The social and emotional lives of gifted children" that I stopped reading 1/2 way through because it told me absolutely nothing that I didn't know already.

Dd is definitely emotionally intense and I'm looking forward to this book!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM

We have emotional intensity at our house, too -- I think we need this!
#9 of 28 Old 09-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
thanks, this is very timely. I'd just checked out a very very disappointing book from the library called "The social and emotional lives of gifted children" that I stopped reading 1/2 way through because it told me absolutely nothing that I didn't know already.

Dd is definitely emotionally intense and I'm looking forward to this book!
Yeah, that one's not so great. I find there's a lot of high level, introductory books. When I order the intensity book, I'm also going to order:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Your-Chi...5093775&sr=1-1

Anyone familiar with Renzulli?
Quote:
Renzulli, whose model for the education of gifted children has been widely adopted, presents a program for parents to identify and foster their school-aged children's interests and abilities. Inspired in no small part by education pioneers John Dewey and Jean Piaget, he tells parents how to help their children acquire new skills and interests and fully utilize the ones they have
The third section of the book apparently addresses 2E.

#10 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM

Has anyone gotten this book yet? It looks like the only place I can get it now is from prufrock press directly, and I'm not in the US so it's pricey. Online sellers don't seem to have it in stock.

#11 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM

It looks like Amazon has it. Would that be cheaper? It says it usually ships in 2-5 weeks.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#12 of 28 Old 10-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
It looks like Amazon has it. Would that be cheaper? It says it usually ships in 2-5 weeks.
My suspicion is that prufrock hasn't shipped the books to the book sellers yet, and that amazon will likely get it on the same timeline as other online retailers which I can use more affordably than amazon.com. Plus, I'd have to wait 2-5 weeks (at least), and I'm not so much on the patient side . I think I'm going to call prufrock's 1-800 number on Monday and inquire.

#13 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've been trying to win the book on the blog tour since I can't just buy it anywhere! Right now prufrock is the only place to get it. According to the author, they do ship *really fast*.

But it has been selling really well.

I can't wait to read it, frankly!

#14 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
I've been trying to win the book on the blog tour since I can't just buy it anywhere! Right now prufrock is the only place to get it. According to the author, they do ship *really fast*.

But it has been selling really well.

I can't wait to read it, frankly!
I'd love to read the book as well.

:Mama to 2 :
#15 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 03:23 PM

OP, thank you SO much for posting this! I just sent the links to my birth-kid's mom; M is PG with high-functioning ASD and a lot of anxiety, and at almost-13, has been having a really, really hard time emotionally lately.

Thank you!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#16 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinYay View Post
OP, thank you SO much for posting this! I just sent the links to my birth-kid's mom; M is PG with high-functioning ASD and a lot of anxiety, and at almost-13, has been having a really, really hard time emotionally lately.

Thank you!
:

#17 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 11:42 PM

Wow! I truly believe that I was supposed to check this website at this time just to see that this book exists! Thank you, thank you for posting this. It is such a huge challenge to raise a gifted child, the emotional intensity can be overwhelming and exhausting. We cannot wait to read this book.

Nina, wife to Michael , mama to DD1, DS1, and DS2, and "Bub" to
DD2
#18 of 28 Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 AM

If you buy from Prufrock Press directly, it's in stock, and if you use the coupon code "HOAGIES" you get 20% off and free shipping. That's cheaper for me than buying it from my usual online venders. I picked up this one, plus:
Parenting Gifted Children: The Authoritative Guide From the National Association for Gifted Children, Oct01, 2010.

http://www.prufrock.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1513

The author's blog is pretty interesting, and I've been reading some of her blog tour. One of the blogs included one of our former, regular poster's blog in her blog roll, which I thought was pretty cool.

http://christinefonseca.wordpress.com/

#19 of 28 Old 10-12-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

joensally, thank you for sharing the code! I've been trying to win the book on the blog tour. I've enjoyed it as well.

Thank is a really good price with the free shipping and everything! I might just order it today, since I never win anything... hehe.

#20 of 28 Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM

If you order it today, you probably will win a copy!

It doesn't look like it would be any cheaper for me to use Amazon so I am thinking about getting it from Prufrock. With the Hoagies code I may be able to get two books! Yeah!

#21 of 28 Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you order it today, you probably will win a copy!

It doesn't look like it would be any cheaper for me to use Amazon so I am thinking about getting it from Prufrock. With the Hoagies code I may be able to get two books! Yeah!

#22 of 28 Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM

This is awesome! I can't wait...
#23 of 28 Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Ok, I received it Friday and have read it through.

My .02 is that if you've read a lot of books on gifted and/or emotion coaching, there's not a lot new here. It's a great introductory book (fleeting references to Dabrowski, a lot of talk about introversion/extroversion, annoying repeated references to the nature of being gifted, which is my new pet peeve). I felt the dealing with emotional meltdowns section was ok but not much new there. And her case studies all willingly went to their rooms to be alone and calm down.

IMO, the best part of the book was the last section which dealt with the parent as coach and provided sample exchanges between parent/child and offered alternative dialogue a la How to Talk so Kids Will Listen.

#24 of 28 Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:

And her case studies all willingly went to their rooms to be alone and calm down. .
A bit OT - but joensally, you made my night with this line! We are about ready to lose our minds here . . . so who addresses this part of emotional meltdowns????

Thanks,
Samm
#25 of 28 Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My .02 is that if you've read a lot of books on gifted and/or emotion coaching, there's not a lot new here. It's a great introductory book (fleeting references to Dabrowski, a lot of talk about introversion/extroversion, annoying repeated references to the nature of being gifted, which is my new pet peeve). I felt the dealing with emotional meltdowns section was ok but not much new there. And her case studies all willingly went to their rooms to be alone and calm down.

IMO, the best part of the book was the last section which dealt with the parent as coach and provided sample exchanges between parent/child and offered alternative dialogue a la How to Talk so Kids Will Listen.
oh, pooh bear. so it isn't a magic bullet.

yeah, going willingly to the room to calm down... that happens here maybe rarely.

we're doing well, and so I'm not as desperate for the book.
But parenting books are always kind of a let down for me....

#26 of 28 Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
A bit OT - but joensally, you made my night with this line! We are about ready to lose our minds here . . . so who addresses this part of emotional meltdowns????

Thanks,
Samm
Well, everything I've read pretty much agrees that once they're fully engaged in a meltdown, they've got to just crest the wave as it were. It's all in avoiding getting there. For DD, she gets stuck and cannot be alone at that point, so there's no way she's going to go to her room. If she does go to her room (with the requisite door slam), I know it's not the crest because she'll come find me to connect negatively with to finish it off. Ugh.

We've figured out some strategies that help, but there's no full avoidance of this as it's kind of like a pressure release valve related to intensity, IMO. We try to have lifestyle strategies to reduce the frequency, but sometimes she's overwhelmed by something in her life.

If you're looking for book ideas, here are a few off the top of my head. I found lots of good insights in the following, although no one book answered it all.

The Explosive Child
The Spirited Child
Sleepless in America
Transforming the Difficult Child
Getting to Calm (for tweens/teens - but really good ideas and AP)

Also, reading up on sensory issues, anxiety issues and brain development/neuroplasticity.

Welcome to this "elite" club .

#27 of 28 Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 AM

This is a better review than mine:
http://laughingatchaos.com/2010/10/1...seca/#comments

I think it's a good book. I've just read A LOT of books, kids have seen highly skilled professionals ... at this point (read: this week, possibly just today )I think we've got most of it down other than the magic bullet that cures the intensity (or inability to manage the intensity, more properly).

#28 of 28 Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is a better review than mine:
http://laughingatchaos.com/2010/10/1...seca/#comments

I think it's a good book. I've just read A LOT of books, kids have seen highly skilled professionals ... at this point (read: this week, possibly just today )I think we've got most of it down other than the magic bullet that cures the intensity (or inability to manage the intensity, more properly).
I'm thinking it will be something I can give to the school/teachers so they stop wondering what is wrong with my child I'm looking forward to the worksheets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page