Reading level poll - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exactly! And so the hunt for interesting reading continues. She is very happy with more elaborate picture books right now so that's great, but she keeps pushing at chapter books. What we do a lot of is read it to her, then she reads bits of it to herself afterwards , for weeks on and off. And bc she knows the story it's satisfying for her. Just trying to meet her at the point where interest and ability cross... Bc she loves to read on her own. (but we still read a ton too). We just had to create the no walking while reading rule lol
#92 of 98 Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Neither child has been formally tested. Both read everything. The 4yo chooses to read books Scholastic calls 2nd-3rd grade level. The 7th chooses to read books the same lists as 4th-9th. Both read incessantly, easily thousands of pages a week for the elder and nearing a thousand pages a week for the younger. The 7yo reads as fast as I do. The 4yo takes 2-3 times as long, depending on the difficulty of the book.
#93 of 98 Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Dd just turned six in March and is solidly at at 4/5th grade level.  She could read more, I'm certain, but we've had a hard time findign appropriate books for her.  She's very sensitive, and doesn't appreciate much fantasy.  Her whole reason for finally taking off and reading on her own was so that she could "read science books."  She's since decided that she likes history better. :)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#94 of 98 Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental_hs'er View Post

Very late to this thread but loving it!  Just tested ds, 8 (grade 2) and he reads at a grade 10/11 level.  He is also a speed reader and will devour hundreds of books each month.  He reads everything.  For example, this week I saw him with a Level 4 early reader about Tractors and his father's copy of the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  It truly blows me away. 

I think you have my DS twin, only a couple years too late.  For awhile he loved his library card, he called it the 'credit card' and burned it out. (wore out the mag strip).  

We still do 'readers' and 10lb books around here. Nothing wrong w. that.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#95 of 98 Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
He still doesn't have great reading endurance and I don't know if it's a matter of interest or actual ability. Most of what he reads now is in the 950-1000 Lexile range.
How is his endurance in other areas? The reason I ask is that my youngest dd had great focus and endurance with other things, seemed to be able to read quite difficult stuff (up to the 800-1000 lexile range) but had very little reading stamina. While her decoding had improved a ton from age 3 to age 5, her endurance hadn't really picked up.

It turned out she had a pretty severe refractive error. Once we fixed that with glasses she went from tolerating a paragraph or two at a sitting to reading entire novels in a couple of days.

I felt a little silly going to the optometrist and explaining that my worry was that my 5-year-old didn't seem to have enough stamina for reading entire novels. But hey, when she couldn't make out the big "R" at the top of the eye chart the optometrist suddenly took us very seriously. She'd had no visual complaints whatsoever.

So if your ds hasn't had his vision tested, I'd encourage you do just make sure.

Miranda

His endurance for most things stinks.  He's flagged for ADHD and Asperger's (which are sometimes misdiagnosed for each other) but I had him see an optometrist this time last year to have a thorough exam AND rule out convergence insufficiency (which can present like ADHD and would've explained his woeful eye contact).  They even did pupil dilation--the whole 9... perfect vision.  :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeeffectsnow View Post

We discovered our seven year old was gifted when he was being tested for learning disabilities. 

Mine started with profound delays as an infant (suspected cerebral palsy) and this is how we found out he was gifted: the last round of significant testing by the district for IEP services when he was 5yo and would've been entering K (we homeschool, but that was the timing of the testing--he turned 5yo in Jan. and they testing in May & June assuming he'd go into K in the fall).  We haven't had any testing since; and he was declassified with that round of tests.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#96 of 98 Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM

My daughter who just turned 4 last week has Down syndrome.  She is reading at a grade 1 level.

Laura - proud mom to K -my little wonder with 47 chromosomes - and her 3 amazing big sisters!

My blog - http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com
#97 of 98 Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimeliving View Post

Thanks, I'd love to read your source for that information. "Well before that time"? What age was that?

You can look up a lot of sources--- I've read it many places.  Most putting out information after the "Einstein Syndrome" became popularized.

http://www.albert-einstein.org/article_handicap.html

I wouldn't consider a 2.5 year old saying "But where are the wheels?" at the birth of a sibling to be late-talking by common definitions.  Additionally, other sources I have read suggest that while Einstein did not fit into his early educational system, he did well enough.  He was called things like lazy and sloppy more than stupid or dull, kwim.  Skipped class, was bored...

This is from wikipedia:

Quote:

The Einsteins were non-observant Jews. Albert attended a Catholic elementary school from the age of five for three years. Later, at the age of eight, Einstein was transferred to the Luitpold Gymnasium where he received advanced primary and secondary school education till he left Germany seven years later.[8] Although it has been thought that Einstein had early speech difficulties, this is disputed by the Albert Einstein Archives, and he excelled at the first school that he attended

From what I understand, the Luitpold Gymnasium would be considered difficult and rather prestigious.  I cannot be certain from these exact articles, but I don't think that not reading until late would have been in line with his early academic placements.

#98 of 98 Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tired, thanks for the info on Einstein! thumb.gif

This is definitely an old thread, but an interesting one.

My newly-9-yo has most recently read the Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea series. Looks like their Lexile numbers are 900s-1000s. He's also been reading and rereading The Mysterious Benedict Society and its sequels. He's definitely one who CAN read pretty much anything, but I limit what he gets in regard to content. He started reading the Narnia series at 7, but we don't do things like Harry Potter or a lot of the other fantasy books that are out there.

My 6.5yo is more of a closet reader. I know he recently borrowed "The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport" from my mom's and read the whole thing. (Lexile lists other books in the series at 780-880.) That may be the longest full book he's read. He reads "Puppy Place" (~600s) and "Dinosaur Cove" (580-770) and "Magic Treehouse" (300s-700s) series with ease. He reads a lot of non-fiction, too, particularly about dinosaurs. He's a better speller than my 9yo, too, so I know he's reading a lot!

My 3.5yo is getting very interested in reading. My older boys read at 4 and I expect he'll do the same. He's asking what words are spelled with various letters on signs, complaining that he can't read words in (adult) books, etc., as well as knowing letters and sounds and such. Won't be long!

I like the Sonlight Quick Reading Assessment and intend to go over it with them again, soon. I've thought it was pretty accurate in the past, though, as others have said, there are a lot of factors that go into reading level - and they change, frequently!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page