Validation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
bec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year was a rocky year for my middle child. She was in Kindergarten, one of the oldest in her class, and bored out of her mind. We fought, fought, and fought and were ultimately successful in getting her accelerated to 2nd grade, skipping 1st. The district laid a LOT of guilt on us to try to pressure us into keeping her where she was, but we couldn't imagine another year of learning nothing new!

Anyway, she's been in a 2nd/3rd split class this year, and her teacher is phenomenal (we requested her). Her teacher saw her ability, and simply moved her up to work on the 3rd grade material. She's been so happy and engaged, coming home with new projects, homework, learning new things, feeding her brain. This is the reports we have been getting from my daughter.

This evening, we had our parent teacher conferences. Her teacher went on and on about what a hard worker Emily is, how she's doing so well, has a wonderful vocabulary, is very quick in absorbing facts, interpreting and applying the knowledge. She showed us some of her writing, as well as the charts she is making showing her math progress. She made it clear that she is up to the challenge of keeping our daughter engaged and learning new things! DD asked her what would happen when she finished all her timed math tests. Her teacher wrinkled her nose at her playfully and said, "Oh, I can always find something new to do with math!" The teacher also indicated that Emily is also doing very well socially, making friends, getting along with classmates, and fitting in very nicely.

This has all been so validating of our decision. I'm so happy she is doing so well. It just fills my heart to see her so happy, her love of learning blossoming again, and her finding a peer group that she is able to relate better to!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#2 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM

That is so great!
#3 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 PM

That's fantastic. It's good to hear a positive teacher story too, she sounds wonderful!
#4 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Oh my goodness, what awesome news!!! So happy for you!
#5 of 9 Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM

sounds like you have a great teacher there.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#6 of 9 Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 AM

That's great. Doesn't it take a weight off for your child to *finally* be in the right place?

(of course, pessimistic me would be thinking "but what about NEXT year?!?!")

#7 of 9 Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
bec

She loops with this teacher for next year! And the year after that has some truly amazing teachers. My oldest daughter is in 4th grade now, and I am thrilled with her teacher, as well as the rest of the upper school's teachers. This school, in particular, is really fantastic with its staff. We had a wonderful conference for my eldest as well. This is a public school that has shown what a children first philosophy, flexible attitude and strong leadership can do. It's an incredibly special learning environment, and one that works well with my oldest that has some definite 2E issues, and my PG kid. They look at the individual kid, and teach to that. Their differences from the normal presenting kid are celebrated and not made to feel like they are super special because they are gifted, or not succeeding because they have learning challenges.

It's night and day for my child from the school she was in last year (it was a K-1 school in our district).

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
That's great. Doesn't it take a weight off for your child to *finally* be in the right place?

(of course, pessimistic me would be thinking "but what about NEXT year?!?!")
I was just going to mention that I thought the OP should ask that teacher for a recommendation for next years teacher.

So glad it is going well!!! Yay!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#9 of 9 Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I love reading when things are going well for any kid (and parent!)

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page