Anyone use Moving Beyond The Page? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-20-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a forum for those of us who homeschool gifted kids?

Do any of you have experience with MBTP for your gifted child?

I obviously need a new approach.  I've been using Waldorf and Waldorf-inspired curricula so far, and while it has served many wonderful purposes for us, it's not cutting it anymore.

I just ordered MBTP.  I hope this will be better!

#2 of 10 Old 11-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

I think the Learning at Home & Beyond forum is where the homeschooling related things are usually directed. 

We've never used MBTP. We tend to be pretty unschooly. My kids like a certain amount of curriculum, but on their terms and only to serve particular discrete needs they've identified. For example they've used curriculum programs for the following in the past couple of years: punctutation (Editor-in-Chief series), 2nd language (Rosetta Stone), math (Singapore), handwriting (Getty-Dubay) and biology (Campbell). My inclination has always been to avoid comprehensive curricula, because not only does that mean putting almost all your eggs in one pretty big expensive basket, but these tend to be age- and grade-levelled in a way that wouldn't work for my asynchronous kids. For instance last year my then-11-year-old was working through a university-level biology course and a 3rd grade handwriting workbook, a 9th grade math book and a 6th grade grammar/punctuation book. We would never in a million years find a comprehensive curriculum that would allow us that kind of latitude. 

Even with my most synchronous kid (my youngest, whose academic level exists between the relatively narrow confines of 4th and 6th grades), a standard comprehensive curriculum would require a quantity of work and output more suited to an 10- or 11-year-old than to the 7-year-old she is.

So I'm sorry I don't have any experience with MBTP. My thoughts are more general in nature: that over the long term you might find an eclectic approach more easy to tailor to your child's needs than a comprehensive one.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 10 Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 PM

We use MBTP. There should be other users on the Homeschool board too. I used 5-7 last year and am using 6-8 this year. DD actually does a Waldorf homeschool supplement class (1 day a week) and we use MBTP in a slightly Waldorf way. We keep our activities and her artwork and materials of whatever broad topic we're studying in a big book similar to a Waldorf main lesson book. If it's a drawing or writing exercize we tend to put in her "book" rather than on the pages from MBTP, but we use the MBTP cut and paste and activity sheets and just add them. I love the curriculum and DD does as well!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 10 Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM

I bought the 5-7 Environment Concept when my big girl was almost 3.5 years old. We worked through the "Habitat" portion then I sold it. I wasn't overly impressed with it and it was really expensive. I did add a lot of my own project ideas into it. It did have a lot of cut and paste - which my big girl did enjoy.

I think it's a hit or miss....and it unfortunately missed for us.

Which package did you order?

#5 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 04:28 PM

I haven't used it personally, but the people I know who have tell me that it tends to be a bit on the easy/simply end for a program geared toward highly able kids.  I've been told to consider buying a higher level than the publisher recommends.

#6 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We're in the "it was way too easy" camp, too.  We bought 5-7 when ds was just 5 and it was kind of silly.  Plus, it gave so little instruction that I felt like it left me trying to figure out how to teach a concept and my son not really getting it without my instruction (I'm thinking specifically of habitats).  And for what you're paying, I would've expected better visuals and at least spellcheck.  :/  Mine gets way more from BrainpopJr.--which kills me 'cause I'd seriously rather not be on the computer much.  But MBTP didn't push any boundaries of creative thinking, either... so...

Oh--and agreed: LAHAB forum is good.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#7 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM

IMHO, if you are looking for an "advanced" literature based curriculum, I would check out Sonlight. I've heard it's easy to use secularly too.

#8 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Mensa for Kids has some free online lesson plans as well.  You might also want to check out the College of William and Mary's Gifted Education curriculum: http://cfge.wm.edu/Curr_listing.html

#9 of 10 Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

I know I won't find a comprehensive curriculum, but I need something "more."  I'm finding myself at a loss for words regarding what it is I'm looking for, and what it is I feel my dd needs.

EviesMom, thanks for that.  I'm glad to know that it will "fit" in a more Waldorf-(ish) way. 

ChristaN, thanks for the Mensa link.  I'm going to check that out.

#10 of 10 Old 11-29-2010, 01:04 PM

We are trying it again. We used it briefly a few years ago and did one full unit, but tweaked it. I found it lacking in many areas. We kept ds's work in a sort of main lesson book also, because despite the name I thought it had a LOT of pages/workbook type stuff. (I'm not necessarily against that, but ...) That enabled us to glue in his dictated stories, some of the pages we chose to do, and such and keep in it one place.It was not a program that had everything, or even a lot of, what I wanted.

We now have the 7-9 level and I like it better. Adding the literature units in has been a good addition, imo. We are just about done with the first concept. There is much that we have skipped, and lots that we enjoyed. I don't find it particularly creative  so we jazz it up a bit- but I would do that with anything.

Ds is not a huge fan of writing so I modify that and sometimes do dictation to keep the focus on creativity and the expression of his ideas. I have also discovered lapbooking so we are creating a simple lapbook for each concept. This keeps the writing varied. The books are easy for ds but I didn't want to go up to the next level because I thought the subject matter and writing in this level was better suited to where he's at developmentally. We also use more Waldorf-inspired materials and use MBTP in conjunction of lots of other things.

We buy it used, and sell it when we're done- its very expensive!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page