December-- What are they doing now? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love reading what the older kids are up to, so thank you for sharing! Even if they're not big firsts, they're new to us with younger kids and it's interesting to read all the neat things they're doing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I love the big kid stories, too! Those are always amazing, even if they seem like simple regular life things.  

DD keeps adding to her homophones list (she's come up with aunt/ant and break/brake the last couple days).  And making up amazing songs and stories.  And has been in the bath for over an hour.  

DS is gifted at being a big baby apparently :)  Closing in on 10 pounds!  He is SUCH a different baby than how DD was...

#33 of 49 Old 12-08-2010, 08:28 AM

DS is almost 2,5 y. He's been going through a difficult phase the last weeks. Today was particularly awful, but after his nap he said he wanted to be inside mommy's belly again. So, he pretended to be a little baby inside me while sitting on my lap and after 20 minutes he was good to go. Let's hope this was the end of the phase...

We assume he can read (easy 3-4-5 letter words), but he gets impatient and starts guessing what the words are after sounding out the first 2 or 3 letters. He shocked my brother last weekend by reading him a few words of a menu in a restaurant. My brother thought he had just memorised a few words from his own books, but the menu was different. My mom reminded him then that I could read at 3y and he as well, so she didn't find it that surprising, lol. He's exploring counting beyond 20. In Dutch, English and German.

He loves dancing and singing songs. And his imaginative play is on a whole new level now. He stays in his role for a long time. He's also working on assertiveness, without hitting. Saying stop, no pushing, not so loud please, etc. His little friend is finally getting it as well, he says stop about 3 or 4 times and then he hits her. Which is better than hitting right away. We're getting there... :)

#34 of 49 Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

DS is turning 3 this month, on the 13th. He is learning to build words at his Montessori school. For example, he lays out a picture of a rat, a can, and a couple of other things, then he sounds them out and spells the words with little wooden letters. The last part of the exercise would be to then write the word down on paper, but apparently this is one area where DS is most like a 3 year old boy, because he just has little interest in writing and therefore doesn't really try. He likes to create the letters out of playdoh, and he likes to color pictures, etc but isn't really into tracing/writing. He gets frustrated when he can't read his books, and has recently proclaimed that he is, in fact, learning to read. He sounds out words, and made it all the way through one of the first readers at school. I've brought back out some of the first baby books with one word on each page so he can practice sounding those words out and he loves it. He likes me to point to each word that I'm reading so he can try to read it too. I definitely think he's going to be an early reader!

He's also become so creative lately. Everything is pretend, pretend, pretend. He makes up the greatest stories. He's always entertaining. Of course, he's also turning into a 3 year old boy, which can be a challenge. He is very typical in wanting to do everything himself to the extreme. And he's full of excuses. Ask him to do something he doesn't want to do, and suddenly he's stuck. He may be standing directly in the middle of the floor, not near anything, and it will be as if his feet are magnetically attached to the floor and as such are incapable of moving.

In other news, I had surgery yesterday (not major, but still recovering) and he's been very sweet to me. He gave me one of his toys today to make me feel better. :)  (And on that note, I could probably write more clearly, but I''m about to fall asleep. Blame the pain pills.) I may have to check back in tomorrow.

Oh! His birthday party is this weekend. Here's hoping I'm feeling better by then. He's asked for gummy worm cupcakes, so my mom is going to come over Friday night and help me bake them. This is a very exciting month in our home!

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#35 of 49 Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Hi all,  it's been months and months since my last post here (or anywhere else on mothering).  It seems I spend hours on this forum when I have L O O M I N G deadlines fast approaching.

Dd (who turned 4 this fall) learned to read to herself a couple of nights ago!  She is really proud of herself - she didn't want to go to preschool yesterday because she wanted to stay home and read "in my mind like you do mommy"

The whole reading thing actually just resurfaced for dd.  She was interested in reading until about 1 1/2 years ago (about 4 months shy of turning 3), then she stopped reading - I didn't ask her about it, I just assumed she was interested in something else.  Earlier this fall a friend of mine told me that her ds said that dd reads to him while they are in preschool together.  But I know she must have been keeping it under wraps because the teachers didn't know about it.

Dd is really maturing socially and trying to interact and understand different personalities.  Her new preschool (Montessori) has been a challenge for her socially - it's a bigger place than she went to last year.

Dd still has amazing recall - she memorized a library book that dh & I read to her less than a dozen times.  It was a longer book with 3-4 paragraphs a page, "Campfire for Cowboy Billy".  I wouldn't have realized that she memorized it except for the fact that I read it to her one night when she was overtired.  I would sometimes skip a word or something and she would correct me and make start again from the beginning.  Dh actually heard her recite the book to herself while she was playing.

#36 of 49 Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm late coming into this as I'm feeling a bit wiped out at the moment - but I did want to tell that DS has been drawing houses in perspective now - not altogether correct perspective of course, but I was very impressed (the houses are supposed to be Pompeii just before the destruction and there is a Mt Vesuvius in the background with the caldera and the magma cap).

Ironically, DD has been complimented at a mommy-and me-class for her talent for self-regulation - she put herself to sleep sucking her thumb on one hand and stroking herself on the back of her head with the other in the midst of squealing babies - ironically, as it is precisely the talent that appears to elude her almost four years older brother at the moment!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#37 of 49 Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM

I haven't posted in one of these for ages. 4.5 year old dd started reading a few weeks ago. I know this isn't anything spectaculR around here but it is huge here. She was really interested as a toddler so she hAs had a huge list of sight words and has been decoding for over two years. I was beginning to worry that the fact that it still hadn't clicked into actual reading meant she had some kind of tracking issue. She's quite the perfectionist though. Our library has a Summer reading programme where reading 15 books gets a voucher for a native plant. We completed our first one and she read three of the books. When we handed it in she asked the librarian for another so she could read ALL of the books.
Science is really big here ATM. Especially electricity and magnetism but anything Physics based gets her interest. I'm so glad we are hOmeschooling because I've checked the state syllabus and schools here don't even begin to look at electricity in any depth until sixth grade!
Actually I'm having a mini crisis about unschooling and meeting the needs of my workbook loving little girl but this isn't the place to get into it...

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#38 of 49 Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 AM
bec

Late coming in here, but the spelling thing caught my eye.  I think spelling and reading work with different parts of the brain or something.  I don't think they are as related as you might think (I've got nothing but my own observations to back this up, btw).  My first (not identified as gifted) was a slow to start reader (mid year of 1st grade), but has always been a cracker-jack speller.  For a few years, the spelling was the only thing that she didn't REALLY struggle with (there are some learning disabilities that we are still working on).  Her reading caught up quickly, once she made the switch from non-reader to reader, but her spelling has always been amazing. 

DD2 (7 years, tomorrow!) has been doing so well with her grade skip.  It's a multi-age 2/3 class, and her teacher has been differentiating for her without prompting.  She is doing the 3rd grade work.  She is loving it.  I'm a little curious how this is going to play out next year when she's a 3rd grader having already completed the 3rd grade work, but am trying to not borrow trouble, and just enjoy this year.  She's been reading the Harry Potter books and is enjoying them.  She is also enjoying the math end of things.  She has been really enjoying the computation that they focus on.  Her teacher is great at not having her do mindless repetition, so it stays fun and challenging.  She also throws in some pretty complicated, multi step word/logic problems. 

DD3 (just turned 5) is in Pre-K.  Like some other kids around here, she has all the pre-reading skills, but has only shown passing interest in learning to read.  I'm following her lead, and just keeping it fun.   Some days she will read several BOB books, some days an easy reader (but more advanced than BOB), etc.  If I try to suggest she practice, though, she suddenly can't do any of it.  Three kids, all motivated in totally different ways!  She'll do it when she's ready.  I imagine that when she decides she wants to read, she will suddenly be reading.  I suspect that she is holding out on me, though, because I sometimes catch her reading far more complicated words than you can find in a BOB book.  Her Preschool teacher has confirmed this with me as well.  It's a play based school, but they do read a lot of stories to the kids, and Abby will point them out.  The thing that makes me think gifted with her, though, is the abstract thinking that she does.  She makes connections that she makes. 

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#39 of 49 Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM

So much fun to hear ll the fantastic accomplishments. 

DS is 3.5 now.  He's suddenly gotten the hang of letters and sounds and is starting to want to spell everything.  Reading has just as much appeal, he wants to name every letter.  He's determined to tell the sounds of every letter in a word.  Boy was he mad to learn that sometimes E is silent.  Silly boy.

#40 of 49 Old 12-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Hi all! It has been busy around here. Ds, 10, is homeschooling. We are working out the kinks, but he is cruising through work at a good pace.  We are starting to think about science projects for the science fair, etc.  Ds2 is adding positive and negative numbers (-200+200), 3 and 4 numbers, numbers in the hundreds, counting by 2, 3, 5, 10, etc. . . all in his head.  And he is in Kindy. He is a math machine.   His twin is reading about a beginning 1st grade level and becoming quite the philosopher (Mom, what would happen if all the people had no hands, all hairdryers were transformer/airplanes, etc.). 

The baby (22 months) has figured out how to open child safe bottles, and is talking in complete sentences and signing and counting and learning his ABC's and colors and shapes and and and . . . . 

Mom could really use a day off!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#41 of 49 Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Have realized that there is happening more here than just stressful stuff...DS has branched out from volcanoes (finally!) - he's got a science DVD and now he is enjoying (and learning by heart!) not just the volcano chapter, but also the chapters about planets and space, the moon and rocket ships, the weather - he is extremely interested in the reasons behind summer and winter, night and day, thundestorms and hurricanes...and our house is rather often, a rocket, and we're all astronauts, even the baby!

I have recently had occasion to read up on telling apart issues arising from giftedness and from AD(H)D and have come to the conclusion that when you can't get a newly four-year-old to stop jumping and spinning around on your mattress when it's time to go to sleep it might be AD(H)D, but it's probably giftedness when he excitedly tells you he is earth being orbited by the sun and right now it's day on his front and night on his back and you are immediately suckered into explaing "no no, you're orbiting the sun yourself - look I'll be the sun beaming at you and you're orbiting me and now it's day - um, back into bed! now!"

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#42 of 49 Old 12-22-2010, 01:15 PM

My small girl has exploded in the counting department! She counts EVERYTHING (including the icons at the bottom of my computer screen!). She can almost accurately count 21 objects - if they are too small, she stumbles here and there. She is also object counting to 10 in Spanish.

Right now, she made a long train of blocks that she is counting in both English and Spanish.

#43 of 49 Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM

My 11 yo is having fun playing a contemporary cello piece written in a major key in "minor" style. This is in-between practicing the 3rd and 4th acts of Verdi's Macbeth and working on a new thumb position in his bow hold. My 8 yo is writing winter poetry and making a batch of cookies. All are sleighing like crazy in the backyard.

#44 of 49 Old 12-25-2010, 09:35 PM

I just put a hopped up 2 year to bed.  She was so talkative.  I told her Christmas was over, so she started telling me that Valentine's day was next (She said, "when it is Valen-time we can get the Valen-stuff out of the box.")  I tried to tell her about New Year's but she would not listen to reason because she kept describing something in the box she wanted.  These were her exact words:

"It's like a container that you shake...but it does not make a sound...It is purple and it has a honey bear inside holding a heart...There's like water inside, too."

The best part was her use of 'like' as well as her hand movements.

I was only half paying attention at first, so she had to repeat the clues a couple of times.  I wasn't even putting together she was describing something from the V-day box.  I had to really think. I finally realized she was describing this tiny Valentine snow globe thing.  She was throwing me off a bit, because it is just a bear inside holding a heart.  I have no idea why she is calling it a honey bear other than she said that is its name according to her.  I said, "oh, the snow globe?" and she was like, "well it is like a snow globe...yes!"  I believe she came to the realization that it was a snow globe just then, lol.  I think her memory was a little fuzzy, too.

She was just going on and on, but I thought it was so amazing how she described this object she hadn't seen in almost a year (would have been 19 months old last V-day) so well.

Merry Christmas!

#45 of 49 Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM

We spent almost 2 hours on Christmas morning raising and lowering stocking toys on a pulley we created that ran from the first floor living room to the second-story window of my mother's storage loft. DS was thrilled to discover how heavy some of the loads could be.

It didn't even phase my mom--in fact, she handed over the mesh bag from the pearl onions so that DS could load even more onto the hook.

#46 of 49 Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM

My big girl spent 3 hours (in a row) using her new Legos yesterday. One thing she made was a circuit board and now is interested in Snap Circuit sets. At one point, she and Grandpa were building things together - the two Engineerings working together! LOL

#47 of 49 Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

My big girl spent 3 hours (in a row) using her new Legos yesterday. One thing she made was a circuit board and now is interested in Snap Circuit sets. At one point, she and Grandpa were building things together - the two Engineers working together! LOL

Ok, the reason for this second post: I was trying to edit my original post and it WOULD NOT let me! All I wanted to do was change "Engineerings" to "Engineers"!!

#48 of 49 Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post

We spent almost 2 hours on Christmas morning raising and lowering stocking toys on a pulley we created that ran from the first floor living room to the second-story window of my mother's storage loft. DS was thrilled to discover how heavy some of the loads could be.

It didn't even phase my mom--in fact, she handed over the mesh bag from the pearl onions so that DS could load even more onto the hook.

Oh my goodness, this is EXACTLY what DH was joking about our kids doing someday.  We had a wild (nerdy) night in our college dorm one time helping some fellow nerds "rig up a pulley system" in the stairway, with this huge wooden wheel they found... it's become an in joke over the years, and he started talking about how our kids would totally do that with our stairs someday.  I am going to enjoy telling him about your kids!:)

I also have to add that we have officially declared that DD "can read"--it's been such a gradual process but when my parents were here she was reading the sentences on the advent wall hanging each night, and she's able to read a whole easy reader like gerald and piggie and several pages of a mr putter and tabby type book before getting fatigued... my mom and dad are in early childhood and they were saying um yeah she can read.  DD tackling all these texts that were new, from xmas (presents and like the snowflake book that has a quote she read about "like a great poet"), made that clear to DH and me!  I'm so proud of her, I simply am!  Also, it's great when I'm walking/nursing/etc DS because DD can take a turn reading and I can just pop in to help with a tricky word here and there, but she turns the pages and everything :)

#49 of 49 Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM

Tonight, after we stopped for gas for the car, DS asked, "Why does the car need gas?" I told him that everything needs energy to go--including him--and that cars use gas as their energy. Then, he said, "I'm going to make a car that runs on batteries! Oh, but then you'd need to change the battery." So we talked a little about renewable energy, and how it can come from wind or water or the sun. there is a small hydroelectric plant on the river outside my mom's house, so we talked about the guy who makes electricity at Grandma's and how he was there last week when we were there and he made sure not to hurt the raspberry bushes.

Hours later, he asked, "What's inside a battery?"

I told him, "Electricity--just like in the walls, only they put it inside the battery instead."

So, then he said, "But what is in the walls?"

me: "wires"

him: where do the wires come from?

me: the power lines

him: what are the power lines attached to?

me: the substation

him: what is the substation attached to?

me: the factory where they make the electricity

him: but what is the electricity? What does it look like? Where does it come from?

He's not even 5. When we offer to read books or watch videos about it, he usually says, "No thanks! I am still thinking about it."

Earlier today, he also asked, "are there real live aliens in space?" and I said, "Well, since there are lots of planets, I think there probably is life someplace other than earth" and he said, "yeah, the universe is really big. It goes to infinity."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page