February 2011: What are they doing now? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love reading all the stories, and am happy that I can share my story here. We went on holiday with another family, with a same aged child and the father commented on how advanced DS is, knowing the alphabet, trying to spell words and to write. It always makes me feel a bit akward. But not here...

We just figured out that DS can count quantities and do simple adding until 10. He counts until 30 or so, but gets bored then. He is "reading" stories to me (he was 'reading' my book this morning, and telling me a story that he made up himself). He can read simple words, but doesn't like to demonstrate or show us. DH was reading words on billboards the wrong way (right to left) and DS was correcting him. He told DH, you know a lot of words, but you read the wrong way. You need to practise more. :)

DS can also cut along a line with scissors and he draws smilies now. Heads with eyes, nose, ears, mouth and hair. And emotions. One was crying because "dad isn't home, he needs to work". He also started drawing animals, he drew an elephant and a snail which were about as good as I can do them. He also started referring to himself as I, and not his name anymore.

We got a free spot at a really good preschool (it's called Kindergarten here, but it starts at 3y old) as of August this year. He's worrying about going without me, DH or our nanny and asks a lot of questions. Whether we would pick him up if he doesn't like it, will there be girls in his group, will the teacher be nice, etc. So we're reading books about going to Kindergarten, and talk a lot to take his anxiety away.

#32 of 39 Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

As always, love reading these.

Dd read aloud a whole chapter of a magic treehouse book yesterday. You could discern when she started flagging after a couple pages. She finished it in two sittings. Of course she'll sit and listen to a whole book and then some. She was also reading the flower fairy poems not from the matching cd and making up tunes for them. I remember when a mo Willems book was too long and I can't believe the poetic syntax doesn't confound her. She reads everything everywhere now.

The stories are endless and amazing and she's really gotten into writing on her own. When we look back at her stuff it'll look like a step backwards but it's cuz now she's sounding it all out and deciding where on the page to squeeze the letters. Totally on her own. Also some lovely drawings.

I'm really excited there's a new option at the gate certified charter school for four days of homeschooling and one of classes. It seems ideal for us. She can't go until fall 2012 but it's nice it exists! I'm going to start looking into it bc we'd be signing up (possibly for a lottery) in a year.

Meanwhile we are doing the rainforest for our theme right now and learning a lot!
#33 of 39 Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM

DD counted past 50 the other day, and then I actually got her to perform the first half of the state song for the camera.  I swear she would know the entire thing by now, I just can't remember it, and she learned it from me singing it in the car.  I always get hung up on New Jersey so we just end it there.  She LOVES states.  We used to bribe her with state facts to eat.  Enjoy!

#34 of 39 Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 AM

Hey! I'm on here again, because dd (7 months) started crawling tonight! She's been using her body in all sorts of creative ways to move around for a few weeks, but tonight was the first time she did the alternating hands-and-knees crawl, and crossed the rug to obtain a flashlight (and subsequent to exclaiming, "That!", chewed on it). love.gif So awesome.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at an indoor playground and my three yr old was thrilled to discover how easy it was to navigate everything. The last time we were there, he was 19 months old. Anyway, it was so fun to watch him and hear him sing songs of personal triumph as he went from one piece of equipment to another (duh, d-duh, d-duh, d-DUH!) while narrating exactly how to do it. He was totally heroic. It was awesome. luxlove.gif

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#35 of 39 Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM

DD's drawing got posted on the website for the Zoobooks magazine (they have a monthly contest). The letter said it was one of 50 chosen out of more than 600 entries. Honestly, it isn't her best work, but whatever. Fun for everyone! Zoobooks is a great magazine for bright kids who like animals, btw--not dumbed down at all.

Another drawing of hers got chosen in some kind of Earth Day contest and will be on display at our city's Earth Day celebration. I haven't seen it because it was done at school, but I know the title: "Teal Waters." (Hee.)

She is making major leaps in her math understanding right now and is really jazzed about math. I love watching her brain work. Can anyone remind me of some of the tricks that are out there to help master mental math? (For instance, I taught her that adding 9s is easy because you just add 10 and subtract 1--she loved this. Stuff like that.)

I recently bought some Brain Quest decks (3rd grade) and she is really into them--actually, we wil finish the first deck soon. She always gets the science and language ones but is frequently stumped by social studies, and sometimes the math ones are about a concept she hasn't learned yet. It's a good level overall. DS is also oddly fascinated by them even though he can't answer many questions, of course. I know they make one for 3yos, so I might get it for him.

We should find out if she got into the GT magnet this week. We have only a week to decide. eeep.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#36 of 39 Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

Dd (3) is writing books now. They tend to last about one sentence (but she narrates them all day and acts them out). Yesterday she wrote "wunc upon u time there wuss u beutufrl buk" and then described how "we zoom into the book and then there's the story of Lauren and the goblins..." so maybe she's actually writing screenplays,lol.

She has this character Lauren who is eight and visits the fairies and she makes up these violent battles of squishing goblins but also this intricate system whereby a goblin may become a fairy (it takes 102 days for a girl and 85 for a boy, different numbers each time she explains it to me, lol).

And then there's the three month old who seems to be learning to say whatever we say to him. He's said hi, agoo (dd was trying to get him to say it since she knew she said that sound first), and seemed to be going for hello and mama... Last night he said "yeah" perfectly right after I said it to him. Dh was cracking up saying it was like on a bad sitcom or tv ad. Little mockingbird! Here we go again...
#37 of 39 Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Well, actually we found out today! DD was accepted to the gifted magnet. I think we are likely to enroll her there, but it's a sensitive and delicate thing to address with DD. She is mostly in favor, but has some doubts and concerns.

#38 of 39 Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Well, actually we found out today! DD was accepted to the gifted magnet. I think we are likely to enroll her there, but it's a sensitive and delicate thing to address with DD. She is mostly in favor, but has some doubts and concerns.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#39 of 39 Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page