February 2011: What are they doing now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 02-04-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess it is time for a new thread! Share both the little and the big things your children are doing these days!

Mine have been sick with a cold that turned into pneumonia for the youngest and bronchitis for the others. The 5 year old is spending a lot of time being read popular mechanics and science books. The 9 year old is into artsy projects with Valentine themes. The 11 year old has been drilling a cello Caprice by Piatti for the past month and it is really coming along!  Here are performances of his recent compositions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJG_jy9RfOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8MjCuxIIs

Sorry the orchestra was kind of out-of-tune. The chamber group only rehearsed for 2 hours before performing the Bulgarian rhythm piece.

Looking forward to reading the posts on this thread!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Dessismama!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I find it amazing that your son is composing. I love playing music.  I love classical music.  I really love movie soundtracks.  Maybe it is the VS in me.  I swear I see the music in my head.   And, I always wanted to compose, but I think I am missing something you DS certainly has.  I especially like the second piece.  It looked like those kids were enjoying themselves playing it, too.

#3 of 39 Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 AM

My oldest is either cruising through school work or dodging it. We are still figuring out our homeschool style, so I'm not too worried. Twin A is working through math concepts like a madman.  He is in K and is workin on 3rd grade math.  Twin B is really starting to read, but he hates his Kindy teacher, sigh.  He is also frustrated with his ability to write.  He is getting OT, but it still is really hard.  My baby turned 2 yesterday. He is amazingly adorable! He has the cute factor times 10! Anytime we go anywhere, he charms people with his smiles, "peas" and "tank ou's"!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#4 of 39 Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

DD has been working on writing quite a bit.  It's so funny, because she still asks me to spell almost everything, but she's wanting to write all kinds of random notes.  She asked me for help writing a note that said, "Dad is ∞ pretty," and another one that said, "Dear Dad, If you don't pull it, then I will never do it again!!!!!!!!!" with increasingly diminishing exclamation points.  The second was apparently a request for help using an exercise band.  She's also started keyboarding a bit, though she mostly just types "PBS kids" and "jazz."  In short, my kid is cracking me up lately.

Her birthday is next week.  I can barely believe my little one is going to be 5.  dizzy.gif 

#5 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I like this thread!  It helps me remember who everyone is to connect them with the activities of their kids.  It's also so interesting to see the range of interests the kids have.

I'm constantly amazed at the learning leaps DS makes.  He goes from zero interest to mastery of something practically overnight.  He's played around with letters for a little while, but this weekend he became totally enthralled and now knows all upper and lower case letters and the sound every letter makes.  I set up an old computer for him for Christmas, but just yesterday he made the connection between the mouse and the mouse pointer on the screen.  Now he can move it around and click on the animals on screen so they do things and make sounds - He's having so much fun with this!! 

He's been able to wrote count to 20 for a while, but he's realizing that each number represents a thing, so by the end of the month he'll probably be counting things and understanding quantities.

Also, I've been worried that his gross motor skills were a bit behind, but he's started climbing everything!!!  Yay!! and Oh No!!!!!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#6 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Things have been a little quiet, now that high school mid-terms are over.  They both did well on exams. DS17 maintained his academic performance (some years he has a mid-year dip when he gets bored or distracted). DD14 can be a bit of a drama queen, so she expressed a lot of anxiety about writing exams, but she did beautifully - 90's in everything. 

I'm a little concerned because DS tends to coast through the term and then puts in a lot of effort as exams approach. At this stage of the game (last year of high school), the best I can do is warn him that this strategy will be a problem in university. We talk about it every year  without change on his part, so I think he'll have to learn the hard way. I know he will put in effort when he's motivated though, so as long as his ultimate strategy is to stick with the stuff he loves to do, he'll be fine. 

He's had early acceptance to the university of his choice, although it's into his second-choice program (psychology). However, when the offer of admission came awhile ago, he hadn't yet completed his application to his first choice program. It was nice to see the effort he put into the essays for the application - if only he put the same effort into his essays for English! He even let me proofread them and it's been a few years since I've been allowed to review drafts of his work. It was a huge personal struggle to restrict myself to editing, rather than re-writing  redface.gif. His referees wrote wonderful letters on his behalf. Now it's a matter of waiting and hoping. 

Otherwise, things are moving along in a fairly routine manner. Lots of rehearsals for both of them for the upcoming musical festival season (DS) and spring drama performances (DD).  This term will be even busier than last, but it's a good distraction in these late winter months. 

#7 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM

DD's still going on her puzzle kick and went from the beginning of Jan not doing any jigsaw puzzles to no at the beginning of Feb up to 24 piece ones!  I've tried looking locally for some good ones here but they don't really have any in between ones (basically they go from 24 pieces to 60 pieces and I just don't think she's ready for that jump yet).  But I'm heading back to the states at the end of this month and plan to pick up some for her there. 

Lately her interests have been babies and ASL.  With the babies she wants to know everything possible about pregnancy and what the baby will be like afterwards.  Every night we have a long conversation that normally involves me swaddling her and her asking about what she can teach the baby.  She's also been quite interested in the fact that this baby will nurse too.  She wants to know if she can have a baby in her belly too (I just tell her someday if she wants to she can) and then she's excited because she can nurse the baby (although the other day she tried to see if she could nurse on herself... didn't work out too well!!). 

As for ASL.  We did baby signing and basically stopped once she started talking more.  Well, I showed her a little video with someone signing and then she become obsessed and she really wants to figure out finger spelling.  She's been working on the alphabet song a lot and makes me help her with the right finger placement. 

One exciting thing is that we finally, finally, get to visit her *possible* preschool in personal next week, so wish me luck!  It's a Montessori school and when we've talked to them before they put a ton of emphasis on how they work at the child's level and are really flexible about moving the child up into the older level or bring down more complicated works to younger children who need them.  It's nice because they offer English (and since DD is a native speaker) we could ask very specific questions about how they'd deal with a situation where she's much more advanced than the other students without having to give a ton of details.  I have a really good feeling about the place and it goes up to 9th grade so my dream is that it would work for her for awhile but we'll see soon enough!

#8 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post

Lately her interests have been babies and ASL.  With the babies she wants to know everything possible about pregnancy and what the baby will be like afterwards.   

Watch out if you don't want intimate details of your pregnancy explained in intricate details to total strangers...after all this stuff is so interesting, why wouldn't anyone be interested? I had to learn the hard way that there are some things you better *don't* share with your three-year-old, no matter how cool you are about the facts of life within your own family.redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post

Here are performances of his recent compositions:

Sorry the orchestra was kind of out-of-tune. The chamber group only rehearsed for 2 hours before performing the Bulgarian rhythm piece. 

Dessi, the chamber piece was absolutely amazing! Too bad about the orchestra, but I'm sure they will perform more from your son...

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
#9 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM

It's finally sinking in that my youngest, DD(age4) will be in school next fall and then I will be the parent of two grade school kids. I'm really excited to see how she progresses in kindergarten. She's a bit more of a puzzle than my older son is. He was clearly advanced in reading, writing, and speech at this age. She's just getting into the reading and writing. She's started asking us to follow the words on the page with our fingers and is really starting to get into writing and starting to actually have an interest in forming letters rather than just scribbling. However, she has always had amazing problem solving skills. It will be interesting to see how school goes for her. We are looking forward to the adventure.

DS(age7) is doing well. We had parent teacher conferences last week. He's really improved his writing. He scored average on the state writing test, which was pretty good for him. He should start a social skills group at school soon. I have mixed feelings about that but I hope it goes well. We also recently decided to look into counseling to help him deal with some confidence issues. There was a bit of bullying going on at school a couple of weeks ago so we also addressed that issue with the teacher at conferences. However, it's been so cold that they haven't been having outside recess and the kids he's having issues with are in the other class so we won't know if it continues to be a problem until they start interacting at recess outside again. Right now we are just hoping that he will have this school next year. Our governor has proposed a 10% cut to funding for education. Our teachers are already the lowest paid in the nation. only two districts in the state have gifted programs (ours being one of them), and class size has been increasing while staff has been decreasing. I'm not even sure where they could possibly cut 10%. So I'm sure that if the cut goes through their goes his full time gifted program.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#10 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 03:18 PM

There is a math and reading explosion at my house.

The triplets have all started doing simple addition. DS2 came into the room a few minutes ago to get me to hold up two fingers on each hand so he could figure out 2 + 2. DD play similar games.

DS3 is ahead: yesterday, he asked me to cut his toast in "2 plus 2 quarters" 

DS3 and DS2 have been building sight word vocabularies by asking me to read individual words aloud for some time. DS2 just started asking this past week.  DS2 prefers comic books.  He will sit and "read" all his older brother's Tintin's for ages.

DS2 keeps coming up with true statements about astronomy from things he was exposed to a year ago and showed no signs of absorbing then. Today he talked about "the vastness of space" and last week, he made sure I knew I couldn't walk on Jupiter because it is a ball of gas.

I keep thinking the trips aren't really advanced, but then I realize that they are all ahead of where DS1 was at this age in many areas.

DS1 (7) is expressing more interest in math since I showed him some more advanced math on Kahn Academy. He struggles with computation, but his problem solving is great. He doesn't think he is good at math because he makes careless mistakes on the math he gets at school and the math I show him is genuinely challenging. But, he is doing simple algebra and can handle long division with minimal coaching. He is finally getting some extension at school and the Special Ed staff are working hard to support his challenges.

DS1 is in a period that feels like regression, but I know it is development. His emotional sensitivities have expanded beyond his own personal realm to incorporate others (real people and fictional characters).  As a result, he has become more sensitive to books, movies, etc and is frightened by many of the things he read or saw happily a year ago. At the same time, he is becoming more compassionate - I am sure it is the same developmental process.

He is also seeing some limitations of science and engineering in interesting ways. Last week, after learning about the challenges faced by engineers trying to get people to Mars, he announced "I don't want to be an astronaut.  Cosmic rays are too dangerous." A year ago, he would have been much more likely to announce "I'm going to invent a shield against cosmic rays."

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#11 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Good point.  DD already accidently almost told some friends of ours really early on.  They were over at the apt and she decided that that would be the perfect time to come over and talk to the baby. lol.gif Thankfully DH was already in the middle of telling them a story and I was able to distract her by asking her to get a baby doll instead.  But DD's definitely the type to come out with a lot of randomness (like in the elevator when it apparently seemed like a good time to ask me if I'm wearing big girl panties blush.gif like her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

Quote:

Lately her interests have been babies and ASL.  With the babies she wants to know everything possible about pregnancy and what the baby will be like afterwards.   

Watch out if you don't want intimate details of your pregnancy explained in intricate details to total strangers...after all this stuff is so interesting, why wouldn't anyone be interested? I had to learn the hard way that there are some things you better *don't* share with your three-year-old, no matter how cool you are about the facts of life within your own family.redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post

Here are performances of his recent compositions:

Dessi, the chamber piece was absolutely amazing! Too bad about the orchestra, but I'm sure they will perform more from your son...

#12 of 39 Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM

I feel like I need to begin again with the disclaimer - my daughter may very well not be gifted - she's only 23 months.  She can count to 10 and back down again but only counts objects to 3.  She can sing the ABC's but only knows 4 letters.   She doesn't have an amazing store of knowledge about any particular subject.  But she's highly verbal and very social and confident and I would love to be able to share my proud mommy stories here where people won't make me feel guilty or look at me funny or get super gushy about "how smart" she is.

She is developing quite the imagination.  A couple of weeks ago we were driving down from the mountains and she had my coat covering her.  She decided that some of the fasteners looked like toilets or sinks or trash cans and started pretending that it was a bathroom. After a while she expanded it to an entire house with my hood being the upstairs.  She used her fingers as 'people' to play in her little makeshift 'dollhouse' for the rest of the ride home. 

tuesdaymom likes this.
#13 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-time-to-live View Post

I feel like I need to begin again with the disclaimer - my daughter may very well not be gifted - she's only 23 months.  She can count to 10 and back down again but only counts objects to 3.  She can sing the ABC's but only knows 4 letters.   She doesn't have an amazing store of knowledge about any particular subject.  But she's highly verbal and very social and confident and I would love to be able to share my proud mommy stories here where people won't make me feel guilty or look at me funny or get super gushy about "how smart" she is.

She is developing quite the imagination.  A couple of weeks ago we were driving down from the mountains and she had my coat covering her.  She decided that some of the fasteners looked like toilets or sinks or trash cans and started pretending that it was a bathroom. After a while she expanded it to an entire house with my hood being the upstairs.  She used her fingers as 'people' to play in her little makeshift 'dollhouse' for the rest of the ride home. 

It is very hard to not be able to talk about your proud mommy moments.  My daughter is the 5th born out of my friends the same year we were all pregnant together. She started talking @ 6 months clear putting 2 words together @ 9 months.  I'm learning people will always have something to say no matter what.  One of them is my best friend and she pointed out how advance she is in the begining her  dd is 2 months older than mine.  I still hold back some of the things she does.  I don't want to hurt anybody or make them feel like something is wrong with there child.  My husband is the opposite and I have to explain to him please don't bring it up unless someone else does.   My dd is 20 months and speaks like a 3 year old.  I thought she would just level out with here vocabulary every week is like she adds 100 or more words.  She can count to 20 now nows most of her abcs nows her vowels and the sounds most of the letters make.  She can put her socks, shoes and pants on and zip and unzip her pj's.  She loves to color or scribble.  She scribbles and says look mommy i made a boat or cat.  So fun to see the imaginations at such a young age.

My 10 Year Miracle 06/05/09!
#14 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM

My DH is the same way.  I almost had a heart attack when we were calling schools and I heard him directly say to one school "DD is really smart how can you accommodate her?".  However, the school seemed to not be phased at all by it and answered his question very politely.  I think it's the way he says things, though, it's hard to explain but he's not someone that people can get mad at or offended at hardly ever.  Unfortunately, that means if someone gets annoyed at us, it's normally me that gets the blame! lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaymom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-time-to-live View Post

It is very hard to not be able to talk about your proud mommy moments.  My daughter is the 5th born out of my friends the same year we were all pregnant together. She started talking @ 6 months clear putting 2 words together @ 9 months.  I'm learning people will always have something to say no matter what.  One of them is my best friend and she pointed out how advance she is in the begining her  dd is 2 months older than mine.  I still hold back some of the things she does.  I don't want to hurt anybody or make them feel like something is wrong with there child.  My husband is the opposite and I have to explain to him please don't bring it up unless someone else does.   My dd is 20 months and speaks like a 3 year old.  I thought she would just level out with here vocabulary every week is like she adds 100 or more words.  She can count to 20 now nows most of her abcs nows her vowels and the sounds most of the letters make.  She can put her socks, shoes and pants on and zip and unzip her pj's.  She loves to color or scribble.  She scribbles and says look mommy i made a boat or cat.  So fun to see the imaginations at such a young age.

#15 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM

LOL! That is something my husband would say. I always get blamed also! lol.gif

Quote:

My DH is the same way.  I almost had a heart attack when we were calling schools and I heard him directly say to one school "DD is really smart how can you accommodate her?".  However, the school seemed to not be phased at all by it and answered his question very politely.  I think it's the way he says things, though, it's hard to explain but he's not someone that people can get mad at or offended at hardly ever.  Unfortunately, that means if someone gets annoyed at us, it's normally me that gets the blame! lol.gif

My 10 Year Miracle 06/05/09!
#16 of 39 Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Welcome Tuesdaymom and A-time-to-live!  I will enjoy your updates!

We are experiencing just some plain growing up.  I feel like every year at this time DD transforms overnight.  At 6 months, she started crawling and signing and talking and doing all these tricks.  At 18 months, she started talking in paragraphs overnight, learned her letters, shapes, colors, and numbers. 

Now at 2.5 she has just become this little kid.  I dare you to find any toddler in her.  She is doing puzzles, and throwing balls hard, and counting her fingers.  She finds loopholes in my wordings.  She plays around with language to get out of things. She has imaginary monsters she plays tag with.  She is going to "preschool" and loving it.  She actually thinks about others before herself...most of the time.

She has also become much more interested in print.  Out of the blue she began to show understanding of how letters make up words and words sentences, and that you read them from left to right and stop at the periods.  She can sound out whole CVC words, and blend the sounds into words.  There is this awareness that wasn't there before as well as a desire to want to figure it all out.  Every now and again I will catch her reading a word somewhere, and I just wonder if she is actually doing it.  It seems I am constantly telling myself she inferred rather than read.  Anyway, it is a start, and I am encouraged at how chill it is.  It is nice to know she has many of those pre-reading skills down pat.  But, I cannot say that she is in any way obsessed with this.

I would say that she is a bit obsessed with time.  She has exhausted all the birthdays I know.  I have even made up some for her toys.  She was captivated by Groundhog day and the implications of the rodent's reaction.  Her new thing is to ask "how long until...?" questions.  She is very pacified by this.  This morning she woke up at 6am and she asked me how long until morning.  I told her 2 hours, and she was like "ok," and lied back down.  I cannot adequately explain how much 'time' comes up in our day.  And, it is amazing how much she seems to understand numbers in the context of time, but not much else.  For example, she certainly knows all her ordinal and cardinal numbers up until the 31.  And, she knows 2 hours is more than 5 minutes.  But, the only thing she wants to count is her fingers (which is really cute, because she is only now able to hold up 1,2,3,4 fingers at a time.)

She shocked me the other day by spurting out huge chunks of the Lords Prayer, so I taught her most of that on the way home from my sister's the other day. (It was just like how she learned The Pledge of Allegiance.)  It was just...shocking.  She has such an aural memory.  She also repeats lyrics and audio books about 3 seconds after she hears them.  Isn't that weird?  She is basically a 3 second delay and she does it really well.  They best is when we just turn on the radio.  I does not seem compulsive, though.

What is compulsive?  Her nose picking.  She seems to stick her fingers in her nose or mouth or back and forth whenever she gets stressed, bored, or deep in thought.  It is disgusting.  I am at my wits' end. 

Also, the incessant "why...?" questions are driving me up the wall.

#17 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM

First time posting on one of these! Copy-pasted from last night because MDC is not playing nicely with the only browser I had available to me.

DS1 seems to have moved past a "plateau," so to speak. He gained a lot of skills very early, but then for a few months had been content to enjoy those skills. Then, BOOM. Suddenly...

He has sounded out a few words. Mostly, he just names the individual sounds and doesn't put them together into a smooth word, but occasionally does. He can type his name and a few other memorized words, and like to type while saying the sounds the letters make. He finds it hilarious to say the "wrong" sound for a word. "M for cow! Mmmmmmm... mmmmmmm... mcow! Hey mama! I said cow with an M!" He can write a few letters by hand, but since his fine motor skills are probably pretty close to average, he usually just asks us to write letters for him. Exception: he wrote the letter "P" (for Packers) in green crayon on a bunch of pieces of paper right before the Superbowl.

He can add and subtract conceptually in concrete situations, though he still doesn't understand the abstract language "number plus number," or "number minus number." If we ask him how many he'd have if he had one or two more of an object (carrots, for example), or one less of an object, he can do it. I have a sneaking suspicion he's been able to do this for a while and we just haven't asked. He can count into the 20s somewhere, but usually loses interest and starts skipping numbers or jumping around yelling random numbers at the top of his lungs dizzy.gif. He really seems to GET numbers, in a way that's kind of beyond his ability to express. I'm thinking of getting him one of those charts with the numbers 1-100 on it, in rows of ten, because it seems to fit with the way he conceptualizes numbers. He's been numerating objects since his second birthday and it has all come really naturally to him. It's weird because neither DH nor I consider ourselves math people.

He's obsessed with scorpions and poisonous frogs (Psst... kid... you live on the tundra. Become fascinated with moose or salmon and we will actually be able to SEE, live and in person, the things you're obsessed with). He has asked to look up pictures of different types of frogs on the iPad rather than a bedtime story for the past few nights. He was being an uncharacteristic lump on the sofa last night, so I asked him if he was feeling sick, and he responded, "No, I haven't been bitten by a poisonous animal." lol.gif

His one, lone 24-piece jigsaw puzzle is too easy for him at this point. Guess I know what he's getting for his tax-return-fun-item. There aren't any at our local store, so I'll have to order.

OK, I told him that if he kept DS2 entertained and not crying while I typed this, he could "type his name for the other computer people to see." Here goes:

isaac

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#18 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM

blizzardbabe, do you have any field guides? Both my kids have been obsessed with them pretty much forever. Very fun for smart kids.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#19 of 39 Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

blizzardbabe, do you have any field guides? Both my kids have been obsessed with them pretty much forever. Very fun for smart kids.

Good call! He has some old animal books that DH picked up off the free pile at work (library), but some new ones with snappy photography would probably blow his mind. He loved the ones at my parents' house, and that was last summer.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#20 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 AM

I spelled DOG out of fridge magnets this morning and without any prompting or coaching DS said "Duh, Duh, Oh, Guh, Guh, Guh - DOG!!!"  And this was me. . . 

jaw2.gif

I am so excited that he loves books and letters and language!!!  Our personalities mesh so well.  I can't wait till he's a little older and we can read some of my childhood favorites together - Encyclopedia Brown, King of the Wind, the Narnia books. . . and he can find his own favorites to share with me.  Being his mother is SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! 

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#21 of 39 Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM

I know I already posted for this month but DD said the cutest thing a couple of days ago. She's decided that she's going to be a doctor when she grows up because she wants to help other people with their "booboos". Mostly she thinks it's covered by giving a kiss and putting on a bandaid but she is really interested in other people's aches and pains.rolleyes.gif She'll even have all her stuffed animals get hurt and then she goes and helps them.  I really need to get her an anatomy book (obviously a very simple one) too because she's just so interested in all the body parts.

pranava- I'm really looking forward to the Narnia books too! I normally tell DD a few stories before bedtime (the light has too be off, though, so no reading) and I started telling her about Lucy going into the wardrobe and she was really excited. love.gif

#22 of 39 Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post

Dessismama!  Thank you so much for sharing. I especially like the second piece.  It looked like those kids were enjoying themselves playing it, too.

Thanks so much! We like the second piece more also!! The chamber group kids are a great bunch! They are having a blast together every Saturday! DS is now working on the second movement of the piano quintet, called "Stuff I Need Later."

#23 of 39 Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM

ellemenope, your daughter reminds me so much of my older DD.  your DD's focus on time and birthdays reminded me that my daughter talked a lot about that at that age too, and the next step was a bit of an obsession with mortality and death. one of the things i really appreciated about this board was that it helped me understand how intense it can be when very young gifted kids grapple with death. hopefully it won't be as big an issue for your daughter as it was for mine, but i thought i'd just mention it in case you haven't prepared yet for talking about it with her.

she's 5.5 now and we still talk about it every day. on a cheerier note though, she's loving kindergarten! her teacher has been great about giving her more advanced math to do at school and even loaned me some fun books. mostly though she's into playing angry birds and cut the rope on the ipod. she's good!!

my younger DD is 2.5 and still a total ham. lately she's been having lots of tantrums because she's frustrated by the things she can't do. it's tough, her gross and fine motor skills are pretty average (probably her fine motor are a bit above average i guess. you know, i really have no concept of average, so who knows). anyway, they're not where she wants them to be, and it's hard. so she nurses a lot!

#24 of 39 Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM

I posted in the last thread about DD deciding to teach herself cursive with the help of some worksheets from the web. She is doing quite well with it when she has the sheets to look at--really, it looks amazingly good. However, she has also decided to do her schoolwork in cursive. rolleyes.gif: At school she doesn't have access to the practice sheets, so her attempts are a bit more...interesting. This week's spelling test came back with "Please do not write in cursive" on it. (She still got them all right, but legibility was a bit impaired.) I've told her "No cursive at school," which strikes me as a bit backwards, but, well, there we are.

#25 of 39 Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Loraxc -- that's so funny. My dd has also decided to teach herself cursive! I'd gotten a Handwriting Without Tears workbook for ds (since they don't do cursive in school anymore), and she wanted one. She's about halfway through and her cursive writing in the book is really quite impressive! Outside the book, great for the letters she's practiced, not so hot for the others. I really like the HWT method, by the way. It results in a very legible cursive.

Last night, dd wanted to do some multidigit addition, and she's been able to figure out 'regrouping' the numbers with little trouble. She still has a little trouble in the execution, but the concepts are all there.

Her piano playing has also really taken off. It's no longer a fight to get her to practice. She's really understood the concept of chords and can now transpose any of the songs she plays into 2-3 different keys. That is due to the method she's being taught by, I think, but I'm still impressed.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#26 of 39 Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't posted in one of these threads in a while, but remembered a couple of fun things to share...

DS (almost 9) is a book fiend. He's been devouring the Anne of Green Gables series faster than my mom can furnish him with her old copies. He's also been very taken with The Mysterious Benedict Society (I got him the first one from Book Pig). Yesterday, while having a babywearing meeting at the library, he found the 2nd story in the Mysterious Benedict Society series. Bouncing up and down, he started reading it while still in a room full of kids, including ones he'd particularly wanted to play with. This morning, he confessed to having finished the last hundred pages or so in bed last night. That was 440 pages in about 12 hours, with as many interruptions as I could manage for things like dinner and Valentines and saying hello to his visiting grandparents. lol.gif

At lunch yesterday (so during a reading break!), which was at a favorite dim sum restaurant we haven't been to in quite a while, DS pondered aloud, "I wonder why I'm such a picky eater," and then took a bite of his shiu mai (a Chinese dumpling with shrimp, pork, etc., and topped with roe). He was wondering why he doesn't like chocolate, apparently. winky.gif (I doubt that has much to do with giftedness, but it was highly amusing at the time!)

DS3 (who is 3) says the funniest things so often, and I never remember... But tonight, while at dinner at a tex-mex place, he decided he wanted more chips instead of his actual meal. I told him he couldn't have more chips because he needed to eat more "real food." "Did you say real food and pretend food?!" he squawked, entirely amused that I was telling him not to eat pretend food. I had to giggle that, at 3, that would be his immediate response. lol.gif

And now I'm falling asleep at the computer... Hope those make sense and are as amusing as they were IRL! lol.gif

sleeping.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#27 of 39 Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

At lunch yesterday (so during a reading break!), which was at a favorite dim sum restaurant we haven't been to in quite a while, DS pondered aloud, "I wonder why I'm such a picky eater," and then took a bite of his shiu mai (a Chinese dumpling with shrimp, pork, etc., and topped with roe). He was wondering why he doesn't like chocolate, apparently. winky.gif (I doubt that has much to do with giftedness, but it was highly amusing at the time!)

That's a good one.  thumb.gif

#28 of 39 Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 AM

LynnS, your daughter does remind me a lot of mine sometimes. Funny. I think she sees cursive as the obvious next exciting thing to do. I might get her a HWOT book--not sure.

So DD is writing a musical. She goes to a performing arts school (which we may be leaving next year...things like this make me hesitate!) so she knows what a script is, what choreography is, etc. The content of her musical is somewhat plagiarized from her current class play, but I figure that's okay, though I did explain a bit to her about that. Even so, it's pretty awesome. She has written two songs and devised dance routines to go with them and is working on the rest of the plot/lines now. All the characters speak in rhyme. She is really excited to actually recruit other kids to play roles and to perform this. She's always coming up with grand schemes like this (other examples include the plant sale she wanted to hold to raise money to help nature and the cat toys she made and wanted to sell to "help lost pets") and I never have the energy to make it happen, but if she actually finishes this I will do my best to make it happen in some way, somehow.

Sample lines:

Kitten 1: Oh my goodness, my mother is getting scared! Can't I do anything before I'm in despair?
Kitten 2: I am the oldest one, so I know what to do, but what if the others end up in dog stew?

smile.gif

I just got her the Brain Quest deck for grade 3. She really likes it. We have learned to divert her with mental tasks when she is going off the rails in one way or the another, so I think this will be great for in the car, etc. Some of the stuff is a bit easy but other stuff like geography, social studies, and some of the science hasn't really been covered for her, so it works out pretty well.

#29 of 39 Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

DS usually takes somewhere between 30 to 90 min to fall asleep. As long as his need to twist and pull my hair is somewhat under control, he is not working through something that sends him into meltdowns or makes him attack me and I am not itching to get up and get something done (like take a shower...), I quite enjoy those times of intense togetherness!  

After storytime, lights out and prayer, DD will lie on one side of me, DS on the other, and by the dim glow of the nightlight we chat, cuddle and play. DS has become very good at speaking in a calm whisper so DD can drift off to sleep.

His current favourite storylines: we are dragons (I am mother dragon, he is a child dragon and DD of course a baby dragon), which involves fetching hot lava to drink from various volcanoes in the world because we like it hot (this is inspired by a book by Michael Ende). Today he offered me lava from Mts. Vesuvius and Etna, but regretted that Mt St. Helens was not on offer. He also has a fondness for lava from Santorin (which has mercifully been inactive for about 3000 years, being a popular holiday spot after all), but not so much from the Eyafjallajökull. We also had some lava from Kilauea and in order to clean our paws, some extra fresh lava from the upper earth mantle. He spewed fire on my feet which were cold and also fetched a hot lava tub to get them even warmer. It has also been determined that being a grown up dragon, I can spew 20 m, he can do 3 m and DD, being only a baby dragon, can only do sparks so far.

Another favourite storyline: we are star children (this is from a poem they learned for Christmas in preschool) and we enjoy watching rockets whizz past and soak up the heast from the exhaust blasts. (We are several thousnand degrees hot ourselves, of course.)

Tonight, just before falling asleep, he determined that we were astronauts going to sleep in the space shuttle taking off, cue a short recital from his favourite DVD to set the stage. then he started drifting off: "Did you hear that pop? That was us taking off...no it wasn't the first stage, the Space Shuttle does not have stages, just the fuel tank and two rockets" and he was gone.

I love those stories. I wish that, with Asperger's syndrome possibly in the picture, I would not have to worry now that it is mostly scripted, repetitive play...greensad.gif

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
#30 of 39 Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM

My seven month old has been saying words for many months, but in the last two weeks, her pronunciation has improved dramatically, so I've been finding it much easier to understand what she's saying, and being successful, she's been using a lot of two and three word phrases. She comforts herself by saying, "My baby, oh, my baby" (which is what I say to her when she needs comfort), and "mang" (mine) and "no" are regulars as well. She asks me to pick her up by saying, "Up, mama with her arms raised."

Today she asked to be picked up, and I often do this in stages with her, like first help her to sit up if she's laying down, by giving her my fingers and she pulls herself up, then she uses my fingers to stand up completely (she does sit independently since last month, but she likes to be assisted after diaper changes or when rising in the morning). When she came up to her feet from sitting today, she said, "There. Thank you," and had a big smile for me. Of course she actually said, "Dare. Tang-oo." She shouts, "Don do dat!" at her brothers, which they think is hilarious, but she doesn't. I receive She's also expressing a lot of pride in her accomplishments and calls me over to celebrate if I wasn't directly beside her. In my hands, she jumps up and down and giggles, "I did dat! I did dat!" She is an unusually happy baby. She regularly tries to eat my face. And pinches my neck skin. It is so much fun to watch her grow! love.gif

My boys are all doing amazing things, too.

My five year old is learning about Shaolin monks and participating in the group interest in Greek Myths and the creatures therein. They've branched out into Norse myths as well, and make lots of profound statements about the correlations between religions throughout history (they know a lot about Christianity as well,  and some about Islam). My six year old is practicing sword-fighting, kung-fu (his style) with his brothers, and writing jokes using drawings of objects to construct the letters. The jokes are at my expense, lol. He has a serious love of justice and clear-thinking these days- lots of discussion about logic. My seven year old seems so much like a young man, and not a little kid. He's a serious boy, and while he plays- a lot- he also has a sort of second life wherein he learns and practices skills in earnest the way a young adult does, for the purpose of bettering his life. He is very interested in philosophy as well, and he spends most of his discussions parsing ideas and thoughts using his internalised, systematic approach, and being very adept at it, it comes across as authoritative. My three year old is all about learning as many skills as he can, and doing so independently. He loves being naked and making up his own lyrics to songs. All of them loooove having the attention of their sister, and spend lots of time playing with her.

Actually, it seems bizarre to try to summarise what my children are doing. They have boundless energy for fourteen to sixteen hours each day, lead their own play and education, are disappointed every night that they must stop for a bit to sleep, talk all day, read all day, practice skills in everything they do, role play, write, spell, and tell stories, make up games, play old games but make up new rules, navigate the computer, make hand-bound books (using a hole-punch, wire or string, and tape usually) prepare and eat their own concoctions, eat mine, draw, draw, draw, sculpt, use tools in expected and very unexpected ways, etc... They just do stuff- lots of it. All day. They're just wild humans. It's all amazing. love.gif

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page