NEW UPDATE with dx..or not...: Differentiating Gifted OEs/intensity/sensory issues from Asperger’s syndrome: BTDT advice? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

Yeah, what is "gifted normal"? or more specifically "visual-spatial gifted normal"? I am sure that at some point during the next academic year we will pursue an eval by the "gifted" people at our university hospital. It's hard to set priorities now. Particularly as I've just been diagnosed with scarlet fever and feel a wet mess...

Ugh!  I hope you feel better soon. 

#92 of 97 Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

Yeah, what is "gifted normal"? or more specifically "visual-spatial gifted normal"? I am sure that at some point during the next academic year we will pursue an eval by the "gifted" people at our university hospital. It's hard to set priorities now. Particularly as I've just been diagnosed with scarlet fever and feel a wet mess...

I don't think it's uncommon for kids with a very strong visual-spatial gift to be delayed in speech.  At the same time, we found that the delay caused some problems and that speech therapy was really helpful.

The upside on any LD is that outcomes are often better in gifted kids than they would be otherwise. 

#93 of 97 Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Tigerle, would you have any access to horse back riding?  There's good research to back up its efficacy, and we've had great success with hippotherapy (horseback riding with an OT), as well as regular horseback riding.  It's expensive, but we've found it very helpful and less expensive than other therapies.  We've also seen great improvement through non-competitive gymnastics.  Rythmic, patterned movement that crosses the midline does re-wire the brain.

Your DS is too young for auditory processing disorder testing (I think 7 is the earliest), but I think it sounds like a great idea to explore the language/speech stuff. 

Our sons aren't the same, but I'll share my experience.  DS tested 99.7 percentile VS at 5, but was >99.999... VCI at 8 and lower on the PRI (the two tests úsed employ different types of subtests, so it's hard to strictly compare).  But it kind of looks like he switched his "highs" - although I think it's just point of development at time of testing.  This stuff is complicated and kids change over time.  My DS is clearly very divergent/VS, but his vision and sensory issues came into play in later testing.  APD was strongly suspected but we've ruled it out.  There is clearly some auditory stuff going on but we've never been able to nail it down and it's not the most complicating factor in his life so we leave it.  My point is that at this time you don't have definitives, but you have clues.  The clues will direct you to further exploration, some good ideas and some false starts.

I hope you're ok and that you have a quick recovery.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#94 of 97 Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM

I've skimmed bits and pieces of this thread, so I apologize if this is off-topic/irrelevant or redundant...

my son (just turned 5) is in some ways similar to your son--though, he has significantly higher verbal scores (99.9th percentile) and relatively lower spatial scores (80th-90th percentile). We think the spatial scores are an underestimate though, because he is actually mind-bogglingly spatially intelligent.

but, we've dragged him to a developmental pediatrician, an occupational therapist, and a psychologist--looking at ASD, SPD and anxiety disorder. they all said, "he's perfectly delightful and very intelligent and a little quirky, but he's totally normal."

we pulled him out of his Montessori school, and put him in a regular old daycare center.

last month, he failed his hearing screening at his well-child visit. today, I took him to the audiologist for follow up. his hearing is perfect, but, at my request, she did a brief screener for CAPD.She had to stop because as soon as the 40db white noise was in his right ear, he tore the headphones off, and climbed under the chair. A full CAPD test can't be done until a child is closer to 7.

so, she gave him a tentative diagnosis of SPD from auditory defensiveness--which, as I have read both tonight and in prior research--presents for a lot of kids as anxiety, and for others as ASD-like behavior. he's got them both.

so, just one more thing to think about if the other diagnoses don't really fit.

#95 of 97 Old 04-02-2011, 05:03 AM

Sorry for thread crashing but I just wanted to thank spedteacher for sharing. I found your post really helpful.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#96 of 97 Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thank you for your good wishes! The last two days were hell but the antibiotics are kicking in now. Rarely have I been so grateful for medical science. To think that people had to go through this without antibiotics or ibuprofen only 60 years ago...

My mother who has come to help out insists that we have too many activities on our plates (meaning she wants DH to scale back his hobbies and volunteering) but I told her that our immune systems would be much better if only our kids would let us sleep! After DD demanded to be brought to me to nurse 5 times between 7pm and 4am, she changed her tune. Now she thinks I ought to wean, and that DS needs to sleep in his own room. I said I'd love to have him anywhere just sleeping through the night! My kids are truly draining me. I can't believe I once used to have a very competitive job. I don't think I could be a part-time secretary at the moment. I think this will have to be a different thread though, not quite sure where to put it - I can't believe all kids are this needy for love, attention and reassurance...

Gymnastics and horseback riding are duly noted. He'd love the latter, actually. Have to find out what there's around. 

Spedteacher, that was really very helpful. So we can just conjecture on this for a while.

The thing that I can still not quite wrap my head around is that his language skills, on the surface, are stellar. He sounds like a much older kid, very precise, with big vocabulary (which was one the the reasons I am sure prompted the psych to do the ASD eval.) And he spoke well very early, before he was two, said his first words at 12 months or so and then just raced through verbal development - no Einstein syndrome here. I am not quite sure what this might be masking, if it is masking anything at all.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#97 of 97 Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the low language scores at this time, but I would pursue a full language assessment (including receptive, expressive, and pragmatic language) by a Speech-Language Pathologist. That will help you to know whether the previous results were accurate or not, and get a better understanding if there are any areas of difficulty.

My eldest DS (age 6) recently had a ton of testing done including IQ testing (WISC) and the ADI-R. We don't have the full report yet, but his verbal scores on the WISC also came out lower than expected (average range, but more than 2 standard deviations below his perceptual reasoning). He also spoke relatively early (first words around 9 months, by 18 months he had hundreds and hundreds of words and used many short sentences, by 2 used fairly long sentences, and at 3 when assessed for stuttering the speech pathologist commented on his complex and advanced language), so initially it seemed surprising that his verbal scores were relatively low. However, he does seem to take things fairly literally and has some difficulty understanding social situations, and he has in the past 2 years started saying "what?" (but does answer correctly after a delay) and "I don't get it" more frequently. We just had Central Auditry Processing testing done (they will do it at 6 here), and his scores were all within the "normal" range, although auditory ground-figure was at the very low end of that range. I suspect that testing conditions impacted his scores on the WISC verbal testing somewhat (administered by someone whose first language is not english, on a day when DS was tired). His scores on the oral expression subtest for achievement testing (WIAT) were in the "superior" range (tested by a different person on a different day), but I think that test does not entail as much open-ended question/answer, and he still scored within the average range on vocabulary on that test. Regardless, we will have a full language assessment done to ensure there are no receptive or expressive difficulties at this time, and to assess his pragmatic language skills.

Sometimes I feel like any sort of testing results in more questions than answers...

Hope you continue to recover, and things get easier for you soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page