Gah! It's time to play "commiserate over how our kids do. not. sleep" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 27 Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a lil vent orngtongue.gif

How can this tiny person still be awake? This is where I come here to hear and reassure myself how common this is. She is not your average bear and this is one way in which that is true...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

This winter, it would take DS two hours to fall asleep! Of course I'd then fall asleep with him, crawl out of the bed next to him at 10 pm and then try to get stuff done, knowing DD would probably wake up at 11.30 to nurse and then continue to wake up to nurse every two hours. Then DS would wake up sometime between 2 and 4 am and yell there was scary stuff in his bed or crawling up the wall...

At some point you are ready to drug them! Melatonin isn't available here, but magnesium and zinc (and Backrubs and a chewtoy) helped DS, and I am eying the iron-rich, vitamin B-fortified juices our local pharmacy peddles under the name of "Focus for kids" or something. And we are discussing a pacifier for the baby.

Summer helps a lot I find - exercise in the sun and wind, and easier parents. I hope things get better for you too...

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
#3 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 AM

It's currently 3:41 am where I live and I'm here, typing on MDC. 'Nuff said?

#4 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM

How much do they typically sleep?  DD takes 1.5-2 hours to fall asleep.  Then she sleeps for 9-10 hours with 1-2 wake-ups.  The nights she wakes up only once don't seem so bad but most of my friends' kids sleep 12-13 hours.  I'd be happy if I could manage to get her to fall asleep faster.  I often fall asleep with her too and then try to get up around 9:30/10 to get work done.  Only then when I try to go to sleep around midnight I can't.

#5 of 27 Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 PM

Levi sleeps maybe 8 hours a night, and he never ever naps (quit napping, even in the car, by 15months).    It takes him 1-3 hours to fall asleep, but I've at least convinced him to stay in our room once I put him to bed.  He listen's to books on tape for a while and reads books and eventually goes to sleep at some point.   

I need more sleep than he does with all the energy he has during the day!   

#6 of 27 Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Ahhh yes company smile.gif

She doesn't nap except occasionally. I try to get her a minimum of 11 hours bc of some study I read about that being so vital, but ten is the norm, and lately it's been more like eight or nine. Typically good sleep once she's down but that is epic some nights. She did start sleeping in to seven or seven thirty some days but not often. More often round six. And yeah I fantasize about a paci for the baby...
#7 of 27 Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 AM

My big girl tells me it's because her "brain doesn't stop moving!" She sleeps 8-9 hours. She dropped napping a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago!

#8 of 27 Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM

we started giving our son melatonin this winter because it was getting ridiculous. it definitely helps him fall asleep in a reasonable time frame, and makes all of us happier. He sleeps a lot once he is asleep--we can typically get him 10-12 hours of sleep a night with medication, but without it, it was down to 8-9 thanks to our morning schedules.

#9 of 27 Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Mine would sleep 6 fitful hours out of every 24... until FISH OIL.  *****AAAAAAAHHHHHH**** (see a bright light and heavenly clouds).

Fish oil, my friends... an adult daily dose of Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9 Complete to be exact.

Within a week, he slept 9-10 solid hours/night and added a 1-3 hour nap.  He was almost 4.  I almost died.

He's now 7yo and we've slacked off.  He is sleeping BETTER than he did before, but he still wakes at night and isn't sleeping solidly.  I feel certain he's now waking due to full bladder, but not positive.  We need to go back to being diligent about it.

I'm uncomfortable with melatonin.  But man--did I consider it.  The fish oil is fixing whatever underlying neurological issue was keeping him from sleeping.  The melatonin induces sleep instead of supporting the body to do it on it's own.  Subtle difference, but it mattered to me.

Oh... and epsom salt baths.  Especially near the ribs, where the skin is thin and it can soak in.  Supposed to work well, but I didn't get to try it.

#10 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

My big girl tells me it's because her "brain doesn't stop moving!" She sleeps 8-9 hours. She dropped napping a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago!

Mine, too. He said something the other night about having "too many exciting things" going on in his head to sleep. This was around 2am when I got up to pee after being asleep for a couple of hours and he was laying in bed playing with a string.

Its 12:33am right now, and he's still up. And I tried really, really hard to physically exhaust him today! At least I will sleep well tonight... until he wakes me up at 7am.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#11 of 27 Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mine sometimes has the same thing, which she calls "thinking about thinking". We tried Nordic fish oil and something in Nordic gummies makes her CRAZY so I will have to try some other way to get it in her. I have been working on her skin issues but once we're done testing strawberries and citrus for making her itch I'll have to add the salt baths, I had been thinking of that.

Thanks!

Of course I'm up bc baby can't settle for more than five minutes tonight. Sigh.
#12 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

there is a correlation between elevated brain histamine and intelligence and less need for sleep.  here's a simplistic run down of abnormal brain histamine:  http://www.healthrecovery.com/HRC_2006/Depression_06/D_roller_coaster.htm#hhchild    if you ask me, it is likely that most children labeled 'gifted' have food allergies which are elevating their body histamine levels. 

#13 of 27 Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post

there is a correlation between elevated brain histamine and intelligence and less need for sleep.  here's a simplistic run down of abnormal brain histamine:  http://www.healthrecovery.com/HRC_2006/Depression_06/D_roller_coaster.htm#hhchild    if you ask me, it is likely that most children labeled 'gifted' have food allergies which are elevating their body histamine levels. 

Mine has a lot of intolerances, that's for sure.  But we've eaten the same diet since before the fish oil and slacked off on the fish oil about a year ago and he hasn't gone back to the worst of it.  But that was after being faithful with it for 3 years. 

#14 of 27 Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DS has allergies and sensitivities, but he has been on a strict diet and I have stopped playing "detective" to try and figure out what is keeping him up.

He wakes up 4 to 5 times a night, crying and getting out of bed (even though we sleep together).

Then he will say something like " I don't want to go to sleep" or "I don't want to go home"

Last night he was up saying "I don't want to go home, I want to go back in the car". He gets really upset when we have to leave somewhere to come home. But he hates the car too - so this statement has me stumped!

Any one have any suggestions? I would love to get some sleep, being as pregnant and tired as I am.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
#15 of 27 Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

Mine would sleep 6 fitful hours out of every 24... until FISH OIL.  *****AAAAAAAHHHHHH**** (see a bright light and heavenly clouds).

Fish oil, my friends... an adult daily dose of Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9 Complete to be exact.

Within a week, he slept 9-10 solid hours/night and added a 1-3 hour nap.  He was almost 4.  I almost died.

He's now 7yo and we've slacked off.  He is sleeping BETTER than he did before, but he still wakes at night and isn't sleeping solidly.  I feel certain he's now waking due to full bladder, but not positive.  We need to go back to being diligent about it.

I'm uncomfortable with melatonin.  But man--did I consider it.  The fish oil is fixing whatever underlying neurological issue was keeping him from sleeping.  The melatonin induces sleep instead of supporting the body to do it on it's own.  Subtle difference, but it mattered to me.

Oh... and epsom salt baths.  Especially near the ribs, where the skin is thin and it can soak in.  Supposed to work well, but I didn't get to try it.

How did you get him to swallow the adult capsules? Or do you use the children's ones and just double the dose? I've tried other fish oil supplements and they haven't liked the taste, so I'm twitchy about spending the money to try these and have them hate them, too. 

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#16 of 27 Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A great book is Kurcinka's Sleepless in America:  Is Your Child Misbehaving...or Missing Sleep?

Neither of my kids are great sleepers, but it's a family trait.  Both take melatonin, and fish oil.  You can get apple-flavoured that slips nicely into apple sauce.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#17 of 27 Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I guess I need to find some other clo to try w dd. She acts wild after any Nordic gummy vitamins. I should check out that book, too, I've heard of it for years here at mdc!

She's been staying up late but managing to sleep in some days, til seven or later, but still can wake at six. Six to nine thirty just seems unfair sometimes! Dh and I get no time. Ah well. We are working on her having time in her room at least and that's going well.
#18 of 27 Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM

DD didn't sleep soundly as a baby or toddler, but now as a schoolage kid, she at least gets herself back to sleep! Or entertains herself by reading, as I discovered when she started describing the sunrise out her window one morning. She said she gets up and its still dark, so she sits by the window and reads til the sun comes up, then goes back to bed. Here I thought she was actually sleeping well at last, going to bed and staying in bed for 12 hours. She's apparently sleeping 6 ish hours, up for 3, and down for another 3. 

Just curious if anyone has found that their kids sleepwalk as well? If DD hasn't slept well or has had a hard day, not only do I hear her talking in her sleep, which she's always done, but she seems to sleepwalk more and more. I'm a little worried about the fact that she's going to overnight camp this summer in tents, and yet she sleepwalks.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#19 of 27 Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I know someone has mentioned sleepwalking, and I did a couple times as a (somewhat gifted) child. Dd sometimes doesn't recall nightwaking episodes where she might come in, but overall her sleep is good once it (finally!) starts. She's been up early again, before six, yet up past nine. The restoration work is almost done on her room so the blackout shades are going back up!
#20 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

My eldest sleepwalks. It's a common development in kids who also had night terrors in the early years (which DD also had.) It was at it's worst around 11 and 12. It hasn't  happened at all since her 14th birthday. I know that I was a sleepwalker myself through middle school. It popped up for DD when she was getting too much broken sleep or was mentally exhausted.

I would give the counsellors a heads up that she sleepwalks. It might help to string a big bell on the zipper so opening the tent in the middle of the night will make noise. I probably wouldn't worry too much in the camp setting though. As a former camp counsellor and a current Girl Scout leader, I can tell you while they are restless that first night, they tend to be physically exhausted every night after that. She's likely to sleep hard after the first night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post

DD didn't sleep soundly as a baby or toddler, but now as a schoolage kid, she at least gets herself back to sleep! Or entertains herself by reading, as I discovered when she started describing the sunrise out her window one morning. She said she gets up and its still dark, so she sits by the window and reads til the sun comes up, then goes back to bed. Here I thought she was actually sleeping well at last, going to bed and staying in bed for 12 hours. She's apparently sleeping 6 ish hours, up for 3, and down for another 3. 

Just curious if anyone has found that their kids sleepwalk as well? If DD hasn't slept well or has had a hard day, not only do I hear her talking in her sleep, which she's always done, but she seems to sleepwalk more and more. I'm a little worried about the fact that she's going to overnight camp this summer in tents, and yet she sleepwalks.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 14.
#21 of 27 Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM

My kids both sleep talk and sleepwalk frequently. One more than the other, but both twins do it. They also have night terrors, again, one more than the other (the same one) but both on occasion. 

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#22 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM

For those of you whose kids can't/wont take fish oil, you can try flaxseed oil.  It tastes slightly bitter like walnut oil but doesn't have strange flavors and is high in omega 3.  I put it on pasta for ds.  It's much easier to put in foods in a palatable way than anything I've tried with fish oil.  Ds won't eat the fish oil gummies either.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#23 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM

my DS (6.5) has a high need for sleep and actually falls asleep fairly easily, though he does have night terrors sometimes (less as he gets older). its the early waking that gets us. 4AM, 5AM. Lately he is going back to sleep occasionally until as late as 6. We do lights off at 7PM and he is usually asleep within 10 minutes, though sometimes it takes a bit longer. Later bedtimes do NOT help him sleep in- the opposite, in fact. He does very well with 10.5 to 11 hours of sleep, and behavior deteriorates very noticeably with less than 10. He napped regularly until he was 5.

My kids absolutely love the Spectrum kids DHA/Omega-3 algal oil supps. They are very tiny, and don't have sugar or coloring (as far as I can tell). DS is prety sensitive to sugar too. A dose is 4 of them.

dissertating mom to three

#24 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post

Just a lil vent orngtongue.gif

How can this tiny person still be awake? This is where I come here to hear and reassure myself how common this is. She is not your average bear and this is one way in which that is true...

Oh my gosh!!!!! I am NOT alone! My son stays up late, despite us telling him to go to bed (and tucking him in after a story around 8pm, which has ALWAYS been his bedtime), doesn't nap hardly anymore, and still gets up around 5 am every morning. I do realize that as kids, (some) children don't want to sleep because they feel like they are missing out on the world, or possibly something cool will happen while they are sleeping and they will miss it. I know this is also my husband's problem (he is gifted and barely sleeps). Me, I like sleep, but I am a morning person (thankfully) so the fact that are son gets up early doesn't bother me too much. As long as *I* get to go to bed before 9pm.

#25 of 27 Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 PM

I am so freaking tired right now. DD goes for days and days with hardly any naps and then crashes for several hours one day. My mom kept bugging me about my messy house, but today she finally said (she never comes over, so she just doesn't get it), "Wow, I've never seen a baby fight sleep like this. She just won't go to sleep. I got all my housework done while you slept!" My step-dad asked if I've talked to my pediatrician because he thinks it is abnormal, too.

YEAH. I am having a seriously hard time cooking healthy food and keeping my house not disgusting.  Right now, my 8.5 month old has been up for EIGHT HOURS with two 15 minute naps. She is so tired, yet crazy with energy at the same time. I can not get her to go to sleep. People with jobs get way more breaks than this. I'd like a pee break... or a chance to eat my food. I can't wait til DH gets home (he gets home late) and she will probably fall asleep on his chest. I think she waits for him.

#26 of 27 Old 08-20-2011, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

my biggest shock as a new mother was to discover that my newborn spent more hours awake than asleep. she would roll her eyes and wake herself up at 3 days old. for dd even now - some of it is mind going and the other part is she doesnt want to MISS A SINGLE THING. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#27 of 27 Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM

I remember being about three and hiding in my bed with a book and a flashlight.  By that point, my mother had given up on trying to make me sleep as long as I was quiet and in bed.  Even at that age, I only needed about 7 hours of sleep a night. Now my mother smiles when I mention that my kids don't like to sleep.  

My oldest is nearly 10, and while I would LOVE for her to sleep earlier/longer, she sleeps from about 10pm to 6am.  When she was fairly little (3/4) and her behavior was falling apart we used melatonin as necessary through really rough stretches- for her it was a great option.  We didn't use it daily but whenshe got into a really 'off' stretch' about a week of use was enough to help her 'reset' her internal clock to actually sleep. 

My middle child was a GREAT sleeper- from the very start.  He was able to simply be put in bed and go to sleep.  Eventually, we found some global delays and got started with treatment for him.  As the delays resolved some, he stopped sleeping.  Now he hates sleep and is apparently making up for lost time. The change has corresponded directly with helping him get 'up to speed' and overcome the delays.  Now he's testing as gifted in some areas, and no longer sleeps.  *shrug*  I think we just finally got his brain woken up and there is so much to process that it's hard to slow down. Researching the family history, he has a great great grandfather who didn't speak until he was about 5, but then when on to be a very famous and gifted engineer and inventor in his time. Apparently language just isn't the part of the brain at work early on for either of them. On the upside, my three year old has a wonderful time taking apart and rebuilding everything he can get his hands on.  

My youngest has NEVER been a good sleeper.  Even from the day he was born.  He's not yet two.  I suspect he is probably gifted, but not 2E and not PG.  In many ways, he's my most NT kid.  Over the past 3 months or so he's been getting better at sleeping.  He still can't sleep on his own, but he can sleep for a block of time and he does nap.  Progress!   

Maybe someday they'll all be off on their own and I can get a nap.  Until then... caffix.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page