School advocacy questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for tools, success stories, and resources to help me advocate for DS1 at school.

Has anyone had success advocating for any of the following:

1. A grade skip in a district that believes that grade skipping is inappropriate.
  2. A grade skip for a 2E student.
  3. Acceleration of any sort in a school district that has a policy of lateral enrichment only.

Any stories of what materials, arguments, etc. were pursuasive would be much appreciated.

TIA

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#2 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We've done a lot of different sorts of successful acceleration but it's always been at the suggestion of the school itself. It's never been a fight for us to get what the kids needed. The only real tip I can give you is to be open to compromise. Schools like baby steps when it comes to acceleration. They will be more comfortable starting with subject accelertion where your child only goes up a grade for a subject or two. If you can get that, and it's successful and it's clear your child belongs with the older kids, you will have better luck going for a full skip.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hergrace, I take it from your post that things haven't improved?  I'm sorry.

Have you look at the Davidson Gifted Forum?  There's a lot more school age, schooled kids on those boards so the parents there might have good ideas.

Have you had any testing done yet?

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#4 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM

My child who was grade skipped was skipped at the suggestion of the school so I don't have experience in doing that with an uncooperative school system.  My 2e kid isn't and won't be fully grade skipped b/c it is not likely the best thing for her.  She's also already "too young" for grade b/c we got her in before the cut off by starting her in a different district.

The only part I have some experience in is your #3 option.  Our school system does offer subject acceleration in math but they have been seriously tight gate keepers in the past on that one.  We were told previously that the kids needed to be selected in 3rd grade and, if they weren't, they would not be eligible for acceleration.  We were also told that they needed to hit the 98th percentile on all measures and one being too low would disqualify them.  I believed that line when dd12 was a 4th grader and came out at the 97th percentile on the MAPs test at the start of the year and thus didn't qualify despite numerous other qualifying scores in IQ, etc.  She learned nothing in math that year and spent a lot of the year helping the other students.  Math is her weakest subject so she should never be in that spot.  She skipped a full grade the next year and, despite dire predictions for how kids who didn't hit that magic 98th percentile point by even one point on the MAPs would flounder a year up in accelerated math, she's been a straight A - A+ student in everything including accelerated math.

So, here we come to dd10, who is HG and 2e.  Her achievement scores fluctuate like mad.  I knew that the wild fluctuations would likely disqualify her and she was placed in regular 5th grade math with no enrichment at the start of the year.  Our school system now also has a policy that a GT id doesn't mean GT placement if you aren't a consistently high achiever.  She's too much of an underachiever for me to let it slide like I did with dd12.  She won't get back on track as quickly if we waste another year with her and she's had too many years in school that have not worked for her already. 

She was already in the GT teacher's class for an hour/day for reading and the GT teacher generally likes dd despite me being a real pain at times ;) .  Dd was upset about her math placement and I wasn't good with it either.  I let the principal, the GT teacher, and her homeroom teacher know that this situation wasn't working.  Combined with the fact that socially school has never been a good fit for her and her class size was huge this year (12 kids larger than 4th grade was), the math issue was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.  She was either going to be placed somewhere else or we were changing schools or homeschooling this year.  She was moved to the GT teacher's class for math as well and is doing 6th grade math this year.  It was supposed to be a tiny group of a couple kids and has grown to quite a bit larger I'm sure b/c other parents are good advocators as well or we all complain a lot ;) . 

I believe that has she passed the test she was given to continue with subject acceleration of some sort in math in middle school.

#5 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joensally View Post

hergrace, I take it from your post that things haven't improved?  I'm sorry.

Have you look at the Davidson Gifted Forum?  There's a lot more school age, schooled kids on those boards so the parents there might have good ideas.

Have you had any testing done yet?

Things continue to deteriorate. We have done some additional testing, and the latest assessment demonstrated conclusively that his ADHD behaviours disappear when he is challenged with materials that are 2.5-3 years accelerated, except for the work that triggers his issues with fine motor control. I have not found anyone who I trust to administer the WISC in a way that will encourage him to perform well, so I am holding off on that for now.

We have got him on medication for the ADHD now and that is helping with some of the executive functions.  And, it is helping him focus so that he can draw pictures of what he is feeling for the first time in his life. The art work that he has been drawing has made it clear that his anxiety about the troubles at school are so high that I cannot in good faith leave him in the school unless the school can accommodate his need for acceleration.  So, as of this morning, I am officially homeschooling during the discussions with the school board.

Unfortunately, the school board's policies are that acceleration is NEVER provided, so I have a serious battle ahead of me.

Kate
#6 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am so sorry!  My level of frustration with the rigidity and apparent inability of some schools/school districts to address the needs of kids is overwhelming.  I'm HSing DD as a refugee from a public system unwilling or unable to meet her needs, and we're now engaged in planning for DS next year.  I suspect he'll start in public and end up HS'd mid year.  It's worth trying, but I'm cautiously unoptimistic.

Is the testing very expensive?  We have two inaccurate, incomplete psych ed reports that have still helped in spite of being incomplete.  Everyone involved acknowledges that they don't accurately capture 2E DS's full scope of abiliites, but with the last one we heard "oh, he's really, really gifted!" like it was a surprise.  I don't get it - they had testing and acknowledged he's gifted, but didn't "see" it somehow.

I'm sorry.  This stuff is so hard and frustrating.  Are you doing school curriculum at home, or your own stuff?  Are you still working, how are you managing with the youngers?

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#7 of 7 Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

We have a psycho-ed assessment from a year ago and just did a neurodevelopmental assessment this week. The psycho-ed assessment was hugely expensive.

The interesting thing about the neurodevelopmental assessment is that is the first time he was tested out of level and it showed how far below his cognitive capability he is being asked to work in general. I am looking forward to seeing the formal report because the assessor indicated that she saw strengths in the areas that the prior assessment had reports of failure to complete any of the tasks - suggesting that he needs to be tested out of age level in those areas as well.

I have been unable to work this academic year due to the stress of the schooling issues, but I have tried.  Committing to homeschooling and changing my expectations for my own work in response will probably take stress out of our lives. It will be a challenge to keep the triplets in school while DS1 is home schooling. DS3 is likely to want to come home as well. 

I haven't decided on curricular matters yet.

Kate

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page