May 2011: What are they doing now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

It's a new month. Brag away!

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#2 of 36 Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD has memorized all 44 presidents in their order!  She actually helps me get through them.   She could recognize and name probably 35 for months now, but now she happily lists them all in order

Yesterday, I threw back a sippy of milk to her in the car.  She started to jabber on about where milk comes from.  I wasn’t actually paying attention until I heard her exclaim, “Humans drink the cows’ mommy’s milk.  That is kind of messed up.”  We have had a lot of discussion about what constitutes a mammal and where we get our cow’s milk.  I must have used that phrase before. 

For the last few nights when I put on her audio book and leave her to go to bed that stinker spends almost an hour under her quilt talking to her two stuffed animals.  She speaks for all three of them and so it is just nonstop chatting.  At first, I thought she was reciting the book along with the recording (she does that a lot.)  But, no, she is able to tune that out and delve deep into her imagination.  I just leave her be, and she falls asleep soon after.  Serves me right for trying to put her to bed at 7pm.  She has too much light.

So, she is 2.5, and I just realized that it will be another 2.5 years before she goes to kindergarten.  Another lifetime.   She is already able to read a bit (I am so proud of her,) add and subtract small sums with the use of manipulatives, follow teacher instruction, and sit quietly and still (in preschool programs.)   I think she’ll be fine, but I might burn out between now and then keeping up with her thirst for learning.  I am so looking forward to the return of DH to take some pressure off of me.

#3 of 36 Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Forgive me if I missed this from previous posts...but are you thinking she will go to school? What options do you have? As I am guessing you understand this is a degree of giftedness that may really be difficult to cope with in most school environments.

#4 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post

For the last few nights when I put on her audio book and leave her to go to bed that stinker spends almost an hour under her quilt talking to her two stuffed animals.  She speaks for all three of them and so it is just nonstop chatting.  At first, I thought she was reciting the book along with the recording (she does that a lot.)  But, no, she is able to tune that out and delve deep into her imagination.  I just leave her be, and she falls asleep soon after.  Serves me right for trying to put her to bed at 7pm.  She has too much light.

We have that too right now.  Nights have been a HUGE struggle because she normally wants us in the room while she lays there and talks to herself for an hour+. eyesroll.gif Sometimes she'll ask me to leave and then, of course, she goes, switches on the light, giggles and plays with her dolls forever (although she never falls asleep alone and will call for me after awhile).  Eventually we normally always end up putting on our stern parent voices and telling her it's time to sleep and she needs to stop talking if she actually wants us to stay in the room with her.  It's really frustrating and I'm not sure the best way to handle it?  Normally DH and I are so tired after we finally get her to sleep that we never get any time away from DD (and he normally just falls asleep while we're putting her to bed anyways!). 

As for DD... she's been asking more and more about local signs and what they say so normally on the bus rides to and from her preschool we discuss what the different signs say. 

She also randomly pointed out the milky way when DH was watching a video about some tourist in NZ a couple weeks back! I was really shocked because we live in a major city and barely ever even see stars!  I can't even say for sure if I'd be able to pick out the Milky Way innocent.gif, I have no clue where she learned that (obviously not from preschool either since she knew it in English...).

With math stuff she's been obsessed with 2's and wants to count by two's, tell stories about two's and draw lines two at a time.  She's really been enjoying drawing lines in general and will then count them afterwards.  She's also gotten really good at enumeration as is pretty much counting everything in sight. 

Oh, and singing has always been something she loves. It's funny how quickly she picks up songs!  We were at the bus station the other day and there were two ladies singing some song I've never heard before in my life. She immediately started singing with them after they had gone through the song once or twice. 

#5 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Normally DH and I are so tired after we finally get her to sleep that we never get any time away from DD (and he normally just falls asleep while we're putting her to bed anyways!).

* donning flame-proof suit*

This isn't something I would live with. I have seen too many marriages get really strained when there is zero parental time or personal time. I would institute a reward system for staying in bed quietly with lights out at this point and also slowly fade out from staying in till she's asleep. It's too hard on you guys, especially with the intensity of kids like this. If you really think she cannot sleep at the time she goes to bed, I would switch up something else. I do admit that I have not had one of these no-sleep-needed kids (DD will fight it but really needs it--even at 7, she goes to bed at 7:45) but even if I did...I dunno, I would work really hard on finding a way for parent-only time. Sorry if I sound lecturey. I have friends who still are having issues with this and their kids are 5, 6, 7 years old. It's one thing when they're still little but after a while...man.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#6 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM

As for us, DS is getting pretty darn good at writing and tracing letters, which is fun. He asks to work in his dry-erase books most days. His babysitter taught him to play tic-tac-toe.

DD is continuing to wow me with mental math. She can do something like 843 +476 faster than I can in my head. I actually use a calculator so I can keep up with her (I am NOT good at mental math, though). She has her own unique method for this that I don't really even understand, so I do wonder a little if she is now going to be annoyed/resistant when taught to do it the "right" way. "This is exactly my style of math, Mama." (Nothing is a higher compliment in DD's world than something being "her style.")

If anyone has any suggestions for more mental math games, bring 'em on. She tends to prefer to do it in her head--not really a workbook kid--and is also not a big fan of computer games. I am not sure what should come next. She can do single digit multiplication and division but it's all derived, not memorized. We have not gone into multidigit multiplication or division or exponents. We also have not done anything past basic fractions.

#7 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Quote:
Normally DH and I are so tired after we finally get her to sleep that we never get any time away from DD (and he normally just falls asleep while we're putting her to bed anyways!).

* donning flame-proof suit*

This isn't something I would live with. I have seen too many marriages get really strained when there is zero parental time or personal time. I would institute a reward system for staying in bed quietly with lights out at this point and also slowly fade out from staying in till she's asleep. It's too hard on you guys, especially with the intensity of kids like this. If you really think she cannot sleep at the time she goes to bed, I would switch up something else. I do admit that I have not had one of these no-sleep-needed kids (DD will fight it but really needs it--even at 7, she goes to bed at 7:45) but even if I did...I dunno, I would work really hard on finding a way for parent-only time. Sorry if I sound lecturey. I have friends who still are having issues with this and their kids are 5, 6, 7 years old. It's one thing when they're still little but after a while...man.

Yeah, I know something needs to change.  We've been trying to leave her there for awhile at times (basically, we tell her if she keeps talking we're going to leave and we've been following through on that) but she never actually falls asleep during that time. irked.gif We put her in bed at 8:30pm (we get home after picking her up from preschool by 7pm after travel time etc so 8:30 is really the earliest we can manage it with dinner and bed prep time) and many times aren't actually out of the bedroom free and clear until close to 10pm!  Her preschool starts at 10am so we definitely have a time constraint there and I know she needs the sleep (we were having a lot more behavior problems when we tried to be more lenient about it) but just getting her to sleep is such a struggle. 

Most nights DH works late so doesn't come home until after she's in bed so then we choose to stay up late and are sleep deprived instead just so we get time together (when he is home then we have the sleeping problem because he falls asleep insanely easily).  A lot of this is due to us having these long commutes and not having a car yet.  Once we get a car (hopefully in about 3 months) then we'll be able to get her home from school quicker, DH will be home sooner and hopefully the process with be smoother but knowing DD she'll probably find a way to shake things up a bit! 

#8 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Doh, it's May already. Posted in the April thread
Just a quick "please share my excitement/amazement" that DD4 polished off the last section of the 1st grade syllabus in mathletics today joy.gif:joy

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#9 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post

Yeah, I know something needs to change.  We've been trying to leave her there for awhile at times (basically, we tell her if she keeps talking we're going to leave and we've been following through on that) but she never actually falls asleep during that time. irked.gif We put her in bed at 8:30pm (we get home after picking her up from preschool by 7pm after travel time etc so 8:30 is really the earliest we can manage it with dinner and bed prep time) and many times aren't actually out of the bedroom free and clear until close to 10pm!  Her preschool starts at 10am so we definitely have a time constraint there and I know she needs the sleep (we were having a lot more behavior problems when we tried to be more lenient about it) but just getting her to sleep is such a struggle. 

Most nights DH works late so doesn't come home until after she's in bed so then we choose to stay up late and are sleep deprived instead just so we get time together (when he is home then we have the sleeping problem because he falls asleep insanely easily).  A lot of this is due to us having these long commutes and not having a car yet.  Once we get a car (hopefully in about 3 months) then we'll be able to get her home from school quicker, DH will be home sooner and hopefully the process with be smoother but knowing DD she'll probably find a way to shake things up a bit! 

We had similar issues a while back and what worked for us was completely changing his bedtime routine. Now we do the 'tough stuff' first (brush teeth, pjs) and then I read him 2 short books, say prayers, then we wrap him up in his blanket & DH takes him outside for a couple of minutes, then they come inside & DH walks DS around in the dark until he falls asleep. (Oddly, DH can transfer him to the bed now -- never could before, and *I* still can't!) He is falling asleep in 15-30 mins most nights this way -- before it would be anywhere from 1-3 hours before he'd go to sleep! Going outside as the very last thing seemed to be a critical component for him - kind of hits his internal 'reset' button I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd share since our kiddos are so similar, maybe something like that will help you!!

I have to say, I'm leaning further away from "DS is gifted". I don't know... he's clearly very smart and intuitive but I'm not sure it's 'gifted', not in the way some of you guys describe. He's not at all interested in anything academic. He does have an amazing memory, blows me away all the time (remembering things from over a year ago -- he's only 2!!) and is incredibly insightful/intuitive when it comes to how things work. I was shocked that he managed to unlock & start up the car (fortunately under my supervision!) Another thing that surprised me was that he's able to summarize a story. I knew he could recite most of his books but I didn't know his understanding of some of them was sophisticated enough that he could paraphrase/summarize them!! He's definitely a unique kid (lol I seem to hear this all the time... he just isn't a 'typical toddler' by any stretch)... We are in the process of an EI eval and I hope that we can help him with some of his sensory & emotional issues so he can flourish & be happy.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#10 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If anyone has any suggestions for more mental math games, bring 'em on. She tends to prefer to do it in her head--not really a workbook kid--and is also not a big fan of computer games. I am not sure what should come next. She can do single digit multiplication and division but it's all derived, not memorized. We have not gone into multidigit multiplication or division or exponents. We also have not done anything past basic fractions.

When my dd was 5, she used to love playing "I'm thinking of a number." It was a lovely free-form way for her to not only exercise her mental math skills but explore new concepts, develop problem-solving and critical thinking capacities. It's just like twenty questions, but with numbers. In its simplest form it went like this. I'd say:

"I'm thinking of a number where the sum of its digits is 9."

"Is it bigger than 40?"

"Yes."

"Is it bigger than 100?"

"No."

"Is it bigger than 80?"

"No."

"63?"

"No."

"54?"

"Yes!"

But it grew into things like:

"I'm thinking of a one-place decimal that is smaller than the square of 3 and larger than the square of 2."

Or "I'm thinking of a whole number that is smaller than negative 3 and bigger than negative 20, that has 4 as a factor."

Or "I'm thinking of the world's most popular irrational number."

The most challenging thing for her was to make up her own clues for me to guess.

We played this endlessly in the minivan.

Miranda

#11 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Great idea! She loves 20 questions. We are always looking for car games. We don't spend much time driving, but it seems to be prime "fight with your sibling" time, which we find doesn't happen when she is engaged.
Quote:
"I'm thinking of the world's most popular irrational number."

Uh....I have no idea what the answer to this one is. bag.gif

#12 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Uh....I have no idea what the answer to this one is. bag.gif

Pi. wink1.gif

Pi is legendary in our family. My ds was so enamoured at age 3 that there was a number "between three and four" that he used to tell people he was "pi years old" or "pi and a half years old," and he made up his own irrational number between 4 and 5 which he named "cabij." For years he used to draw cartoons of little characters named pi and cabij.

W07_0164.JPG

Miranda

RiverTam likes this.

#13 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

Pi. wink1.gif

Pi is legendary in our family. My ds was so enamoured at age 3 that there was a number "between three and four" that he used to tell people he was "pi years old" or "pi and a half years old," and he made up his own irrational number between 4 and 5 which he named "cabij." For years he used to draw cartoons of little characters named pi and cabij.

W07_0164.JPG

Miranda

Off topic, but that is the cutest story ever! Also love the cartoony features. 

On topic: DS and DD are both big into math these days, though nothing extraordinary. DD's playing dumb though, which is bothering me, so maybe I'll make a separate post. 

#14 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM

We took DD in for her 2 year well--child check a couple of weeks ago.  We had been reading "How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?" and so she insisted on bringing her (homemade from paper cups) pretend stethoscope and 1 of her dinosaurs.  While we were checking in, the women at the front desk asked her, "Is that your phone?" to which she replied, "No that's my stethoscope.  My triceratops is sick. He has to see the doctor."  The receptionist then said "I think I gave you the wrong paper work."  I handed it back to her and she fumbled around for a minute finally asking, "She is here for her 2 year well-child visit - right?" 

Besides her new interest in dinosaurs, DD has now discovered how to count objects and does so (with various degrees of accuracy depending on her motivation) up to 7.  I'm most impressed by the fact that when I tell her she has to take so many bites of something in order to get more of her preferred food, she actually takes the correct number of bites without counting out loud and then stops.

Not related to giftedness but - she has just weaned!  She started telling me about a week ago that no milk was coming out.  Now it has been 2 days since she tried to nurse!  Also she went to sleep with her daddy 2 nights ago.  It was so awesome as it was the first time in almost 26 months that I haven't had to put her to bed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post

We have these sleep problems too.  It takes up to 2 hours and she insists on us (well - except for that one night - me actually) being in the room with her.  Doesn't fall asleep until 9:30-10:30. She starts to cry within minutes of me leaving the room and will cry until she throws up if left alone.  But the thing is that she really doesn't tolerate being alone during the day either so I don't feel like I can expect any different at this point.  This might be silly but I think of this as her version of "asynchronous development."

#15 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post

Forgive me if I missed this from previous posts...but are you thinking she will go to school? What options do you have? As I am guessing you understand this is a degree of giftedness that may really be difficult to cope with in most school environments.

Well...I know DH and I want to do whatever is best for DD.  I think we both hope that public school will work.  It is actually hard for me to even think about this.  I do feel like she is ready for kindergarten next fall.  I think this has more to do with her personality.  I think she would do really well and would probably blossom in that kind of setting right now.  She is the sit quietly and soak everything up kind of kid.  But, this is obviously out of the question.  As far as in 2.5 years, all I know isthat it is really hard for me to think about her being any more ahead than she is already.  It is like all I can imagine happening is DD leveling off and going into kindergarten at this exact point she is right now.  So, I guess we are just waiting for that leveling off to happen.  We might be in denial, but we'd like to not think so!  Can we just not think about this for another year or so, please? lol.

I know that early entry is close to impossible, especially when she will already be the youngest in her class.  Plus, I am really apprehensive about skipping.  The gifted program in PS starts in second and consists of a once a week project thing for a couple of hours.  But, I have heard of a full-time city wide gifted school within one of the less desirable PS districts that starts in first grade and requires a 140 on the Wechsler.  It seems to be for exceptionally gifted students.  Then there are a couple privates that run 15k a year.  One being an awesome reggio school that I would love.

It might not even matter because due to the nature of DH's job we will probably be moving again in about 3 years anyway.  So, if that happens, it might warrant a year of homeschooling.  That sounds overwhelming to me right now, but I have heard it gets much easier as they get older.  right?

Next year DD will be going to my mom's play based preschool for two half days, and we will sign her up for enrichment classes at the science center/zoo/botanical gardens.  That is kind of what we are doing right now.  The classes and story times that she is in right now are all geared for the 2-4 age group, and their purpose (ironically) has been to get her mind off of learning and back on more age appropriate things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-time-to-live View Post

We have these sleep problems too.  It takes up to 2 hours and she insists on us (well - except for that one night - me actually) being in the room with her.  Doesn't fall asleep until 9:30-10:30. She starts to cry within minutes of me leaving the room and will cry until she throws up if left alone.  But the thing is that she really doesn't tolerate being alone during the day either so I don't feel like I can expect any different at this point. 

DD was like this until she hit 30 months.  Then she was magically able to be left in a dark room all by herself with a book on tape.  The few months that led up to this were the worst.  I remember it was taking over an hour to get her to fall asleep, and she was very clingy to me.  She would have to be hugging my arm, and would constantly tell me how much she loved me.  And, yet, this was the time that when we tried to leave her alone she was fine.  We have not looked back.  Whereas before it was taking over an hour to get her to fall asleep at 10:00, she now falls asleep in about 45 minutes all by herself at 7:00.  It is amazing.  She was jsut ready.  She does so much better going to bed by herself.  And, I get back 7 hours a week of me time.

I just told her that I had to go do my work or I would get fired.  I would pretend to be really worried about getting fired but stay with her and give her hugs.  But, every few minutes, I would mention my obligations to work.  Immediately, she told me I could go do my work. Never any tears.  It got to the point where I'd throw her in bed, put on her tape, give her a hug, and she'd hurry me off to do my work.  "You got to go do your work.  I don't want you to get fired, mommy."  Now, she just lets me go like its an old habit.  As horrible as this may sound, this is what it took, and we are ALL so happy!

#16 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:

We might be in denial, but we'd like to not think so!  Can we just not think about this for another year or so, please? lol.

Sure, enjoy your time of denial. winky.gif  Seriously, I hope it works out! I do think it is good to go into it knowing your child has some special needs so if any problems crop up you are prepared to make a change as needed.

#17 of 36 Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:

I just told her that I had to go do my work or I would get fired.  I would pretend to be really worried about getting fired but stay with her and give her hugs.  But, every few minutes, I would mention my obligations to work.  Immediately, she told me I could go do my work. Never any tears.  It got to the point where I'd throw her in bed, put on her tape, give her a hug, and she'd hurry me off to do my work.  "You got to go do your work.  I don't want you to get fired, mommy."  Now, she just lets me go like its an old habit.  As horrible as this may sound, this is what it took, and we are ALL so happy!

I do have a feeling that she will just grow out of it when she's ready.  She started eating solids, night-weaned, and weaned really quite easily on her own schedule so - hopefully this too - eventually.  I tried something similar when she didn't want to go to school one day.  I told her that I had to go to work so that I could make money, otherwise we wouldn't be able to buy groceries.  She told me that she had money in her wallet.  A few weeks later we were listening to NPR in the car and the story was about the budget and how they were going to have to close some national parks.  She again offered the money in her wallet.  smile.gif  She was really quite upset with me when I told her that it wasn't real money though.

#18 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
 I do feel like she is ready for kindergarten next fall.  I think this has more to do with her personality.  I think she would do really well and would probably blossom in that kind of setting right now.  She is the sit quietly and soak everything up kind of kid. 

that was my kid at 2.5 too. He is decidedly anything BUT that now at 5. Your stories of your daughter remind me a lot of where we were 3 years ago.  We're planning on public kindergarten in the fall and hoping it works out. He is years ahead of his classmates, but he is really really resistant to showing his skills. We're planning to make an appointment with the gifted specialist at his future school and the principal soon. We were not thrilled with the response from the kindergarten teacher we spoke to during registration. Unfortunately, we (a) can't really afford private school and (b) both have jobs that politically require public school enrollment (I work for the teacher's union and my partner works in city management) so we at least need to give public school "the old college try'" first.

#19 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post

that was my kid at 2.5 too. He is decidedly anything BUT that now at 5. Your stories of your daughter remind me a lot of where we were 3 years ago.  We're planning on public kindergarten in the fall and hoping it works out. He is years ahead of his classmates, but he is really really resistant to showing his skills. We're planning to make an appointment with the gifted specialist at his future school and the principal soon. We were not thrilled with the response from the kindergarten teacher we spoke to during registration. Unfortunately, we (a) can't really afford private school and (b) both have jobs that politically require public school enrollment (I work for the teacher's union and my partner works in city management) so we at least need to give public school "the old college try'" first.

And, right there is your reason to apply to Davidson Young Scholars. They may be helpful in advocacy and support in working to get your son what he needs from school.

#20 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM

You are probably right, Roar shy.gif but I did want to clarify that I didn't mean to sound like a garumphing pessimist. What I meant--but obviously didn't say--was that you never know where your child will be in a year or two, and that, in my experiences (and I think the experiences of many moms on this board) the ages from 3 to 5 are especially challenging for our kids. My son had a ton of social skills to learn--at age 2.5, he was copacetic and his social skills were fine because all his peers had similar ones. It went haywire for awhile, and now things are smoothing out again socially. So, our thoughts about what he could handle socially and emotionally changed dramatically as we observed the social trajectory his peers were on versus his own social trajectory.

DS does seem to be coming out the other side, and if anything, I think his dumbing down can also be seen as being somewhat empathetic and socially aware (which he definitively was NOT a couple of years ago). he knows that his little buddy at school loves numbers as much as he does, but can't engage in them in the same way DS can. And so DS changes his level of engagement and doesn't do mental three-digit addition and subtraction with regrouping at school like he does at home. He gives his friend doubles and two-digit plus one-digit numbers, and then happily solves the ones his friend gives him.

#21 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Most amazing day today! DS, just 12, took part in this really hard competition where at the final round he had to play with professional chamber musicians. It was amazing--he did it and beautifully, winning over 16+ year olds who are themselves outstanding musicians. The musicians told him they felt he was already a part of the group, after the very first time through. They played together the first movement of the Borodin string quartet, DS described it as "bittersweet"....

And the stamina he showed for a day that started with an 8 a.m.lesson, 12 noon final exam in music theory where he got a perfect score, then an orchestra and chamber music rehearsal before the competition... a day that ended with a performance around 8 p.m. Wow! Very proud mama moment!!!

mom2ponygirl likes this.
#22 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 AM

DS6 is really into cartooning and writing stories, and has been for some time.  He starts Level 4 gymnastics team officially at the end of the month, so his training hours will go from 4 to 9 per week. 

DD7 was in a talent show this weekend and did one of her dance solos.  They have a recital in 2 weeks and DD is in about six dances.

My kids do swim team, gymnastics, and dance and May is the mighty collision between the xenith of the dance year (extra practices leading up to the recitals), the last weeks of the school year schedule for gymnastics and the onset of neighborhood Summer League swimming.  ¡Olé!  Yes in the South summer league practice starts TODAY and they will be racing starting next week (from their perspective) with the mock meet / time trial and weekly thereafter for real dual meets.  It's over July 1 and they pull an all-star team for State.  We won't go to any summer league practices until later in the month but will continue with their regular coaches and then just do the summer team in June.  I really wish summer league took place mostly in the actual summer.

Home school rolls along during the summer.  I am a bit more relaxed in May about it than any other month  because of the aforementioned collision.  They are studying math, spanish, cursive, spelling, and listening to Bill Bryson's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_History_of_Nearly_Everything

#23 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 AM

DD is home from school today with a bug and asked to do "school," so I pulled out a 4th-grade reading workbook I got but had never given her. She is finding it easy and getting all the passage questions correct. Her reading achievement has never been tested that I know of, so I've been curious if she really comprehends on the level she chooses to read (3rd-7th grade), especially since we have gotten the "Well, these precocious readers can decode, but they don't actually COMPREHEND...." line a few times.

#24 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

April was the cruelest month, or at least pretty grueling, for our family. We had a few things to celebrate, but mostly stressful stuff, including a health crisis in our immediate family, funerals in the extended family, tax complications, car trouble, DD's theatre production fell apart at the last minute.... If someone told me the stars and planets were misaligned, I think I would start believing in astrology. 

It's hard to focus on good stuff to brag about, but there is always something. I'm grateful for the emotional maturity and strength and grace that my dc demonstrated the last few weeks. It's nice to know they are so reliable, thoughtful, independent and helpful.  

DD's drama teacher recommended her for a part in a professional theatre production, which was very encouraging. She lost out, I think in part because she looks too old (she's just turned 15 but could pass for 18), and the role is for a younger tween. Still, it's nice to know that her drama teacher has such faith in her. 

DS and his band have been getting wider attention in our local area. They opened for a fairly well-known group last month and there were some flattering things said about them during a radio interview. They finished recording an album (produced with the help of a friend) and they're starting to promote it locally. Despite these distractions, DS is maintaining his grades, and making some decisions about university next year. All of the schools that gave him an early acceptance want an answer by early June. 

#25 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Her reading achievement has never been tested that I know of, so I've been curious if she really comprehends on the level she chooses to read (3rd-7th grade), especially since we have gotten the "Well, these precocious readers can decode, but they don't actually COMPREHEND...." line a few times.

I have had it too a few times too, lol.  G-d forbid anyone actually can read ahead of scheduel

#26 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

April was the cruelest month, or at least pretty grueling, for our family. We had a few things to celebrate, but mostly stressful stuff, including a health crisis in our immediate family, funerals in the extended family, tax complications, car trouble, DD's theatre production fell apart at the last minute.... If someone told me the stars and planets were misaligned, I think I would start believing in astrology. 

Every once in awhile I think of posters who had not posted in awhile.  A few days ago I wondered what you were up to that was keeping you offline.  I thought it might be a vacations.  Too bad I was wrong!  

Virtual hug your way......

kathy

#27 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Every once in awhile I think of posters who had not posted in awhile.  A few days ago I wondered what you were up to that was keeping you offline.  I thought it might be a vacations.  Too bad I was wrong!  

Virtual hug your way......

kathy

Many thanks, I really appreciate your kind thoughts. I should have added that we are all coping and adjusting and keeping up. There is a quote by Dame Julian of Norwich that I have always loved: "And all shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well". I believe it to be true for us. It's a wonderful mantra, if anyone ever needs one. 

#28 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post

And the stamina he showed for a day that started with an 8 a.m.lesson, 12 noon final exam in music theory where he got a perfect score, then an orchestra and chamber music rehearsal before the competition... a day that ended with a performance around 8 p.m. Wow! Very proud mama moment!!!

That does sounds like an amazing day! Congrats!

Miranda

#29 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS, just turned 2, is in a super jealous and possessive phase.  He owns everything including me, and he is having a hard time sharing me with my partner even.  Totally age appropriate I suppose, just very intense like everything else he does!! winky.gif  He's starting OT and PT next week for some sensory and motor planning/strength issues.  He's all into puzzles suddenly.  He totally skipped peg puzzles - no interest ever - and is on to 12 and 24 piece interlocking puzzles.  He tells me what letter the puzzle pieces resemble, and upon seeing a yield sign last weekend said " Look, Mom!  An upside down A!"  I thought that was very observant.  He has been able to wrote count for quite some time now, but just the past two weeks has started counting objects up to 10 in both English and Spanish.   

I'm hoping the OT and PT get him jumping, running, and coloring soon.  The last time I tried to get him to color he said he didn't want to because it makes him feel bad greensad.gif  I think I have a perfectionist on my hands.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#30 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
MJB

My 5 yr. old got second place in a race where he was the youngest competitor (with kids who were all 2-18 mos. older). That was really exciting. Plus, it was on TV! 

He learned how to tell time on an analog clock last week. He also counted by 12s past 100. His handwriting is really improving, too, and he wrote a nice story with correct punctuation (apostrophes and periods). He's rereading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. 

He only has 3 weeks until he's done with kindergarten. Wanting to keep him small makes me reconsider putting him in school early... but he's obviously thriving and it's not about me. 

Tags
Early Identification And Education Of Gifted Children Educating Our Children , Raising Intuitive Children Guide Your Children To Know And Trust Their Gifts , Misdiagnosis And Dual Diagnoses Of Gifted Children And Adults Adhd Bipolar Ocd Aspergers Depression

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page