WWYD: K or 1st-- moving and cut-off dates. Anyone NEVER do K?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofSev View Post

I am also curious about the follow up of those who were grade accelerated and went on to college. I am assuming it would continue to be positive, but would like to know.

We're not quite there yet, but my 17yo dd is basically finished high school a year early. Next year she'll be living on her own in a big city on the other side of the country, with considerably more independence than a typical college student. (She'll be in college the following year. Due to growing up in a remote area where there are few music opportunitie she wanted a year of proper weekly music training before starting a Bachelor of Music in Performance the following year.) If you'd asked me five years ago whether she'd thrive with this early entry into adulthood I would definitely have been skeptical. She was the kid who was homeschooled because she was so attached that she couldn't bear to be away from home every day at age 5, who was so shy even at age 10 or 11 that she couldn't answer wait-staff at restaurants who asked what salad dressing she wanted. She had few friends, she didn't like sleepovers, she avoided new types of experiences due to lingering social anxieties. I'm sure that many people who knew her then would have predicted that she'd be the sort of young adult who would want to stay in her home town and take only very gradual steps into independence. 

But she always had her own curious brand of adult-like maturity. In the past three years she's grown into herself in a huge way. She, much more so than any of the other 17-year-olds I know, is ready to be an adult. She's travelled abroad without family for months on end, she's taken part in music programs in other parts of the coutry with mostly much older students. Yesterday she met her next-year's landlord (a relative of a friend who owns a house in the large city where my dd will be living in the fall) for the first time. I had spoken to the landlord on the phone a couple of times, and she'd had reservations about renting to someone so young, wondering whether it could really be the right situation for my dd, suggesting that at her age she might be best in a home-stay type situation or rooming house. But after they had dinner together I got an amazed email from the landlord, raving about what an exceptional young woman my dd is and saying that all her concerns had been put to rest during their visit.

So in our case "accleration" has not (to date) created any difficulties at the point of entry to adulthood.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#32 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good to know, Miranda! I would think, with the experience of being around older peers, it would be that way for most kids. There are of course going to be those who, despite the superior cognitive intelligence, just do not have the maturity to fare in the world until well after 18.

#33 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Wow.. I actually talked to my husband today and he seemed ok with early entrance to Kindergarten for our son! This is new, before he has been DEAD SET AGAINST it!

I know that both districts we are between require children are 5 before entering Kindergarten. I am contacting them to find out what can be done about this, if anything (which would be very sad if nothing can be done).

#34 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofSev View Post

Wow.. I actually talked to my husband today and he seemed ok with early entrance to Kindergarten for our son! This is new, before he has been DEAD SET AGAINST it!

I know that both districts we are between require children are 5 before entering Kindergarten. I am contacting them to find out what can be done about this, if anything (which would be very sad if nothing can be done).

Good Luck!

Most areas will not do early entry for a Spring Bday. If they do offer early entry,usually a child has to be 5 by a set date (often Dec or Jan).

With a March Bday-- your DS would be 5.5 when school started if he did K on the traditional schedule, right in the middle age-wise in fact. 

Maybe they allow entry in to 4 yr old K or a young 5s program? or Private school?

Also--- potentially if they do not allow early entry, other PP have had luck with starting K and then switching mid-year to 1st or doing a direct placement in 1st or 2nd after homeschooling (to get around age restrictions). Sometimes areas are more open to acceleration vs early entry : They get to know the child better.

I will say we did not do K in our current state-- my kids missed the deadline by less than 45 days. No exceptions. Now we are moving and due to a change in age restrictions, we will be likely putting our kiddos straight in 1st at 5y 9 months - we will have the school do a simple assessment to make sure that it is the right placement (K or 1st). Social/Emotional is the major concern...academically is not the issue. No matter what they will need subject acceleration for reading and possibly math. Essentially, we will have loosely homeschooled for K as they went to a play based  PreK program.

#35 of 35 Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I was told today that he has to be 5 by August 31st, no exceptions. They also have a set age limit for entrance into 1st grade (6 yo by August 31).

I think we will be looking into other options, though! I would accept acceleration into 1st grade next year, mid-year, if they would even allow that.

Tags
Identifying Gifted Students A Practical Guide , The Gift Of Learning , Parenting Gifted Children The Authoritative Guide From The National Association For Gifted Children , Early Identification And Education Of Gifted Children Educating Our Children , Raising Intuitive Children Guide Your Children To Know And Trust Their Gifts , Protecting The Gift Keeping Children And Teenagers Safe And Parents Sane , Different Minds Gifted Children With Ad Hd Asperger Syndrome And Other Learning Deficits

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page