How to approach the 2nd grade teacher. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know. I guess we are going to look at our options on Wed and get the dialogue going on what steps to take. He turned 5 on June 25th so had a late birthday ( to me). They believe he is at least at a 5th grade math level and 7-8th grade reading. From what the teacher recalled. The vice did some  math testing with him and the reading teacher did reading.  The principal has his results.  I am going to request actual testing and see where that goes.  His critical thinking skills are incredible. I spoke with his kindergarten teacher and she said he could multiply and divide in Kindergarten. He added up his book order the other day in his head, a bunch of 3, 5, 7, 8 dollar books all adding up to 51 dollars. He was right. He did it very quickly. Incredible.  Of course 51 for one book order is out of my budget but thats a whole other story lol.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#32 of 40 Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

positive thought s please headed to talk to teacher at 3 alone.... xh can not make it.  We are going to go over test results. DS said something about starting to do math in the third grade class.

#33 of 40 Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Good luck!

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#34 of 40 Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

It went very well. They have tested him at a 5th grade level tho they suspect he is able to do above that work. They are going to put him in a 3rd grade math class and eventually a 3rd grade reading class to.  That's all I know for now.

#35 of 40 Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I would continue to advocate for "grade correction" (i.e. reversal of the previous red-shirting). It seems absurd to have a gifted child held back a year and getting accommodations to bring him up to what would be his normal age-grade. Perhaps at the end of this academic year, after he's already showed himself capable with the 3rd grade curriculum in those core areas you could ask to have him placed in regular 4th rather than 3rd with subject acceleration. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#36 of 40 Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

I would continue to advocate for "grade correction" (i.e. reversal of the previous red-shirting). It seems absurd to have a gifted child held back a year and getting accommodations to bring him up to what would be his normal age-grade. Perhaps at the end of this academic year, after he's already showed himself capable with the 3rd grade curriculum in those core areas you could ask to have him placed in regular 4th rather than 3rd with subject acceleration. 

Miranda

I totally agree.  In an environment of scarce resources (presumably, that does seem to be the theme in public education across jurisdictions), it would make sense that he be included in a grade level more in keeping with his abilities, and additional resources be put to challenging him versus accomodating him in typical-for-the-age grade level.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#37 of 40 Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

I think this will be a good trial to see how he does in the higher grade. I am glad school is on board now and aware of his abilities.

#38 of 40 Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Xh talked to one of the principals who knows my son and did some testing with him. He told xh that ds should be in 3rd grade. Xh and I are discussing it and going to call another meeting and see about working towards this. Has anyone done two grades in one year.... say 2nd and 3rd grade this year and then move to 4th grade next year?

#39 of 40 Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I am thinking this is what we will do. Sort of a transition year.... I think they teach cursive in 2nd grade and I would like him to learn this as I can't teach it I don't know how to write in cursive tho I guess all he would need was a workbook and could teach himself as thats what he normally does with everything.

I am coming around to the grade acceleration. thinking about why I am hesitant. I think it has to do with him.... growing up faster.... Hard to believe I could have a 4th grader next year!

#40 of 40 Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Handwriting without tears is a fantastic cursive resource (although, depending on how strict the school is, you may be better having him learn with their program).

Sounds like he's got some great support!

Heather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page