question about determining reading level - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i find that once i read a new book to my 5 yo dd that after that she's easily able to read it herself word for word. she's can do this with 2nd grade level books and higher. but that doesn't mean that's her reading level does it? i know she hasn't memorized the story but is familiar with it so i think that makes it easier for her to read it versus reading it cold. so would that maybe put her at a 1st grade level for reading?

#2 of 4 Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Reading level is typically determined by what a child can read "cold." If she can read 1st grade level material that way, but not 2nd, then her level would be 1st grade. Having said that, if you're talking about longer 2nd-grade level chapter books like the Boxcar Children books (eg. 150 pages, dense text, minimal to no illustrations), and she won't attempt reading them on her own until you've read them to her but can then read them easily, I'd assume that was more an issue of confidence than ability. Shorter books at a similar level would be much easier to make predictions about text from memory. 

I've never attempted to measure my kids' reading level, beyond noticing what level they enjoy reading in order to turn them onto similar books within their capabilities. (We have no library, so I often have to order things without being able to peek inside.) I think such measurements are rather over-rated.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM

account deleted by user

#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM

I remember this happening with my daughter, too, when she was a newish reader. I knew the books were not memorized--they were too long--but having them read to her, even once, seemed to give her memory cues or something and she was more competent. These were long picture books.

If your daughter is like mine, she's probably going to move ahead quickly with her skills.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page