Has anyone had experience with Stanford's and/or Johns Hopkins' online programs.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

for gifted kids? I did a quick search and didn't see any references to them. TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I didn't know they had any.  We're doing the Northwestern one in the spring, but having not done it yet--I can't comment.  We've done their in-person classes and they're wonderful, so I'm hoping the online stuff is just as good!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM

No experience with the online but did a in-person program modeled after the Hopkins programs when I was 13.  By far THE best and most influential program of my pre-college years. 

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses-I'm happy to see more and more options for distance learning!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 AM

DD has qualified for the CTY program through Johns Hopkins.  She really wants to do one of their in-person summer programs.  She has a really full plate, though all the time!  ;)  Also, it is very expensive for those 3 week programs; about $3000.  She also qualifies for any of their self-directed/online programs, but has opportunities in school for the actual academics; was interested in the computer programming type course, but did not feel she had enough time this last summer and be a kid in addition.  She just turned 13; she did a girls' camp thing with church, an orchestra day camp for 1 week, and was increasing her violin efforts to 3 hours of practice per day.  She also babysat for me 1/2 a day once per week so I could attend prenatals and her dad could go to work in the morning.  She's earning tuition for her programs, so it works out well, but it's hard to imagine her being gone for 3 weeks in the summer...

So they look good and interesting, the certification process was interesting, but she hasn't done any of the courses or anything yet.  She probably will; she doesn't need to requalify.  The most interesting aspect of the process was dropping my tiny 12 year old off at the high school to take the SAT.  I did fine in KG, I did fine when she started middle school--that was really, really hard.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

My son does CTY online.  This will be the end of his second calendar year with them and I can not say enough good things about them.  He is in '5th' grade but we homeschool and he is doing middle school and high school level work at CTY.  Obviously over the past 2 yrs my son has 'worked his way up'.  DS tested into the math and science program.  He had no interested in the language arts program so the kiddo 'threw' the test answers to the verbal side irked.gif

He is really itching to start the computer program classes (I told him after the holidays)

CTY is the best thing for him.  He loves it and IMO its worth the money.  He completes a class at his own pace and we pay for 'weeks' so there never is money lost.  They also have a scholarship program.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

User Tag List