gifted/hyperlexic possible Autism Spectrum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son who is almost 2 1/2 knows his alphabet (phonetically, upper&lower), numbers 1-20, colors shapes and is now reading, sounding out words and spelling. We are going to get him evaluated for early intervention just want to see if anyone else had similar experiences.
My son has always been active, even in the womb i felt like i was getting beat up. He likes to jump, run, spin, and climb. He will sit still and watch a show, or play, but he often plays gets up and moves around changing what he is playing with. He really didn't start talking until 26 months; consequential when my daughter was born. He is almost obsessive with his letters, we have a game called bananagrams (similar to Scrabble) and he love to play with them, form words or asking me to make the words for him. He can easily identify over 500+ words (sight words) and can probably spell 100 words. He was doing really well with talking when he first started, he was a parrot. A family friend who is a speech therapist said that he is echoing my words. I didn't not really notice this until she said so. He is using the phrases that my husband and I use constant. He will add in some of his own sentences here and there but most of his speech are phrases "ready, set go" and "great job" and "delicious" "c'mon" ect...
He does have some sensory issues that seem to change depending on his mood. One month he LOVES taking a bath now it's a struggle to get him to take one. He HATES the doctors office, kicking and screaming saying "bye bye...door...car...bye" He also goes crazy when we get his hair cut. Lately doesn't want to wear a shirt. These things seem to change every couple of weeks.
His personality is STUBBORN he was born that way, so there are times he ignores us completely attempting to be deaf, asking him to come sit down for dinner. But if we say come here and have some cookies he will come running. So this aspect is a little hard. He will listen when he wants to listen. I can ask him to go get stuff for me and he will do it successfully, unless he is watching a show or something.
He has always had his "people" that he is drawn to. He does not see his Nana often, so when he sees her he usually follows with "hi nana, bye nana" and tells her no. Does this with a few other people as well. (they all seem to be on the older side?) If he sees kids he will go running towards them, he wants to follow them and do what they do. I have been watching closely to his behavior the last week. We went to his grammy's house there were 3 kids there 10 year old, 7 year old and a 2 year old. He automatically was drawn to the 7 year old she has about the same amount of energy as him. He followed her around, ran with her, jumped with her, colored with her. Then he realized oh there are other kids here, he went up to the 2 year old and said "alex come on run" trying to get everyone involved. When he is excited he sometimes flaps his arms and runs on his tippy toes. When I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do sometimes I see him hitting his right ear a little bit.
He does get frustrated when playing with kids his own age sometimes. If their vocabulary is larger than his and he can't get his point across he throws a fit because they aren't doing what he wants them to do.
Any thoughts? or suggestions?

#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKiddos View Post

He does have some sensory issues that seem to change depending on his mood. One month he LOVES taking a bath now it's a struggle to get him to take one. He HATES the doctors office, kicking and screaming saying "bye bye...door...car...bye" He also goes crazy when we get his hair cut. Lately doesn't want to wear a shirt. These things seem to change every couple of weeks.
His personality is STUBBORN he was born that way, so there are times he ignores us completely attempting to be deaf, asking him to come sit down for dinner. But if we say come here and have some cookies he will come running. So this aspect is a little hard. He will listen when he wants to listen. I can ask him to go get stuff for me and he will do it successfully, unless he is watching a show or something.
He has always had his "people" that he is drawn to. He does not see his Nana often, so when he sees her he usually follows with "hi nana, bye nana" and tells her no. Does this with a few other people as well. (they all seem to be on the older side?) If he sees kids he will go running towards them, he wants to follow them and do what they do. I have been watching closely to his behavior the last week. We went to his grammy's house there were 3 kids there 10 year old, 7 year old and a 2 year old. He automatically was drawn to the 7 year old she has about the same amount of energy as him. He followed her around, ran with her, jumped with her, colored with her. Then he realized oh there are other kids here, he went up to the 2 year old and said "alex come on run" trying to get everyone involved. When he is excited he sometimes flaps his arms and runs on his tippy toes. When I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do sometimes I see him hitting his right ear a little bit.
He does get frustrated when playing with kids his own age sometimes. If their vocabulary is larger than his and he can't get his point across he throws a fit because they aren't doing what he wants them to do.
Any thoughts? or suggestions?

Those several paragraphs sound like a completely typical 2 year old to me. :p I have 3 high energy boys, 8, 6, and 3..and they all had behaviors similar to those you mentioned. What behaviors specifically are you worried about? I dont' see anything in those behaviors you mentioned above that would worry me except *possibly* hitting his ear a bit. Really though, I wouldn't be concerned.. *hugs* 

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM

I have an 8 year old that was hyperlexic, is gifted,  and was recently dx'd as having ASD.

If you are concerned, you should see a developmental pediatrician. I would start by talking to the family friend who is a speech therapist. Speech therapists see a lot of kids who have ASD and she'll have a good first impression on whether you need further screening.

#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 AM

This checklist might be helpful to you, too.

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM

The only thing in your note that I would be overly concerned about is the speech. Seems like he should be talking a little better now with fuller sentences, especially considering his other abilities.  Now, I'm just a parent of a highly gifted kid, so I'm not an expert, though.  But your description sounded a bit like my 9 year old when he was 2. 

He often went through phases in things he liked and hated.  He hated hair cuts for about a year (I had to start doing it myself).  He hated baths even though he had previously loved them.  Transitions were a nightmare.  (He's a twin and they were my first.)  He also wanted to play word games constantly.  When he was 2 he wanted me to spell words for him to guess.  I tried "fox" and he asked for "building" (which he got right). He was also a whiz-- freakishly so-- at legos.  He would cry if he got bored, so I had to constantly find new toys and stimulus for him. I didn't realize at the time how gifted he was.  He grew out of those negative behaviors, also referred to as overexcitabilities. 

It's got to be hard to be 2 and so aware, yet unable to form the words to express himself.  Have you tried signing?  I had heard twin boys talked later than most kids, so I had them (he's a twin) signing by 10 months.  They continued to sign even when they could talk, if they weren't making their point, or if they wanted extra emphasis.  It might be a good bridge for your little guy.  I know they have terrific signing videos now (they didn't have any when my boys were babies).

Gifted kids are a different breed-- but I don't think you need to go into the ASD realm-- unless there are a lot more warning signs.  Sounds like he's playing with other kids.  He is communicating, although perhaps a little behind. But he's getting involved with other children-- that's what a 2 1/2 year old does.    Personally, I would wait for an evaluation, but you've got to go with your gut.  I do believe strongly in mom's intuition.

#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM

I'm coming out of lurkdom for this post! I have a 2.5 yo who sounds a lot like your LO. He's diagnosed ASD, SPD and Hyperlexia and I'm guessing he's gifted as he is a lot like my almost 4 yo DD that has been formally identified as gifted through testing by a psych.  He began reading his first words at around 15 months though he was not talking. If you only mentioned one or two concerns, I might say that it sounds somewhat typical for a toddler but if you lump all of your concerns together, then one can see more going on. I would definitely have him evaluated. OT can be a huge help for the sensory issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page