Possibly Gifted But Not Sure Yet.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I'm a pretty unusual poster here- unlike everybody here, I am just a teenager.

I'm posting because In sixth grade I was given an IQ test, and did amazingly well in language-based areas- between 9th grade and higher in all areas tested, especially writing.

I am now an eighth grader, and I don't know what to do with this information. I cannot skip a grade because I am in eighth grade already, and because of my lack of good math skills comparable to other students my age.

And yet, I am very bored in my writing and Literature classes. I have talked to my parents about it, and they say there is not much I can do.

Also, I am wondering about my future. When I get into high school, they will undoubtedly have more challenging classes, but I am not sure that they will allow me to take them as a freshman.

I have to go, but I'd like to have some advice regarding my (weird but dire) position.
#2 of 3 Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Most high schools have a couple of tiers of each subject, or they can at least bump you to the next grade's class in one subject. Unfortunately, you may have to wait until the next school year to start, and you may need the approval of your current English teacher to take the "higher" class. If you're getting straight A's in English with your eyes closed, maybe you can even ask your current teacher NOW if there's a way to switch to a more challenging class.

#3 of 3 Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

The great thing about English/literature classes are there are often ways to bring much of the work up to your own level. In 8th grade, the literature covered generally offers a fair level of depth. There are more opportunities to choose your own reading material and do work based on them. The vocab and spelling focuses on Greek and Latin roots which can be at least interesting. There is a great deal of autobiographical writing and since it's your own, you can be as complex as you wish. Sometimes restrictions actually help you become a better writer.... having to put everything you want to say in 3 pages instead of 6 makes you really determine what is important. Having to pull back on flowery prose can help mature your style. I guess I'd not look at your current class in terms of what it's not giving you and try to decide what you, yourself can dig out of it.

Have you spoken to your teacher? What are your exact concerns? It's not enough to say you are "bored" as plenty of kids who find the class a challenge are likely "bored" too. In fact, I wouldn't let that word leave your lips if you want anyone at school to take you seriously.You need to have an idea as to "why" it isn't working for you. What exactly isn't at your level? Your teacher may have ideas. He/she may give you some insight as to how you yourself can improve the work you are currently doing. They may be able to work with you in areas you've proven high ability. I know it can be intimidating but self-advocating can be quite a successful. 

9th grade may offer you something to your liking. It may not. Depends greatly on the school and the individual teachers. 9th grade happened to be my own DD's worst year in English even though it was an honors class specifically for highly gifted students. The teacher (and student teacher) were simply unqualified. However, 7th, 8th and 10th grade were/are fantastic.

You say this was an IQ test, what came of the results? Are you in a gifted program? Are you positive it was an IQ test? I just ask because it's not typical for you to get scores in grade equivalencies. Plus, the equivalencies can be misleading. I'd ask your parents to find out more about the exact test you took. Knowing what the scores actually mean can help you determine how useful they actually are in advocating for yourself. You might also find out if they are part of your permanent file and if they can benefit you in high school placement when the time comes.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page