possible 2E - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds is 7, in 2nd grade.  He has SPD and is at least very intelligent (possibly gifted).  He has difficulties with attention and impulsivity, and he comes out high on an ADHD checklist, although I'm not sure that's the all that's going on.  We're questioning gifted + SPD and/or ADHD, just gifted with OE's, or PDD-NOS. We have signed paperwork for a school evaluation, although they will likely not find anything to verify him for services without an outside diagnosis.  

I was planning to take him to a developmental pediatrician, but I'm not very impressed with the peds in town, the checklist diagnostic method (not sure whether they go deeper than a checklist), nor the fact that they all seem to be extremely pharmaceutical-based and I'm not ready to go there at this point.  I found a psychologist who specializes in ASD/ADHD/gifted (who can also start the process sooner than the dev'l ped can). Will it just be redundant to go with a psych to help with a diagnosis?  Should I do school, outside psych, and ped?

#2 of 3 Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I would lean toward a developmental pediatrician if there were other issues like significant motor delays, GI distress, etc.   For what you described though I would be more inclined to go with the private psychologist IF they have a good reputation and you can afford it. Really more than the kind of evaluator is that the person is really good and you agree with their approach. What would push me toward the private psychologist, if it was affordable for my family, would be that it sounds like they understand what role giftedness might play and there may be less possibility of a misdiagnosis.

#3 of 3 Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

This is how I feel too, as long as it's not redundant.  I've had a referral from one person in the area, although her dh is ASD and gifted, and the clinic seems to specialize in ASDs.  But gifted and adhd are probably often seen there, so she should be able to tease out the differences.  Nowhere else around seems to have good experience with gifted or 2E kids.  Otherwise, I may need to go to CO for testing, and I'm just not up for that at this point.

Evidently, they bill to insurance, so at least part of it should be covered.  I will keep our appt for next week, and get a better feel for her experience with gifted and/or 2E kiddos too, beyond the ASD category.  I'll also check on costs, in case our insurance doesn't pay. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page