Testing for gifted children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Has anyone had their gifted child undergo psychoeducational testing?  My daughter Olivia is almost 9 and she is going to be starting testing next Monday (October 24) for giftedness.  It is going to be a whole panel of tests, not just an IQ test, because the psychologist we are using says she likes to do a full panel to get the broad picture of the child's abilities.  Olivia is excited because she loves tests.  Has anyone else found this to be a worthwhile endeavor?  Do you feel the results are helpful?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My children liked it and the results have been very helpful.  They haven't proven to be the magic bullet with school, but they've helped.  IME, it's all about individual teachers and administrators in getting a child's needs met.  This year is the best year yet with DS, and I think part of that is that the teacher had DD previously so we had an existing, positive relationship, and she's an exceptional teacher.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son hated it and he underperformed due to anxiety, but the results were very revealing.  The school was unable to accommodate him, but with the test scores in hand plus results from a couple of other assessments, I could identify precisely where the school was failing him. When I pulled him out to homeschool, the test results also gave me the power to have my husband on board.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can you just go to a children's psychologist and ask to get your child tested ??

Old 10-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

go to one that is experienced with gifted -not just any

there are some listed here - 

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/professionals.htm

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Of course if you are paying for it.  Olivia is already receiving enrichment in most stuff in school but she still wants to be challenged more.  We are doing the testing to see exactly what we are dealing with.  It is an extensive process - about 5-6 visits of 2 hrs each and for us the cost is $2200 but our benefits cover 90% of it so its not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylivg View Post

Can you just go to a children's psychologist and ask to get your child tested ??

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

The practice that we are going to has 6 psychologists.  We are going to the one who specializes in gifted children.  My son was tested through the same practice but his was for severe learning disabilities and we saw a different psychologist.

User Tag List