Venting about school - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Of course the principal doesn't want him to get tested.......there is such a fine line between testing a child for a learning disabitily and testing for a learning 'situation' when the child is gifted.......personally I think even a gifted child needs an IEP --to ensure he/she gets the right education.....and that may be why the principal didn't want to test.......then school would be legally liable to follow the IEP (individualized educational plan) to the letter............every state is different..............and I think it's crap that the poor kid gets sent home with the "lost recess" notes............when does he exercise, or get fresh air or socialize? not sure how you feel about public school, but what about a charter school or magnet school in your district---one that has teachers who have some more experience?

broc1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Mom View Post

Of course the principal doesn't want him to get tested.......there is such a fine line between testing a child for a learning disabitily and testing for a learning 'situation' when the child is gifted.......personally I think even a gifted child needs an IEP --to ensure he/she gets the right education.....and that may be why the principal didn't want to test.......then school would be legally liable to follow the IEP (individualized educational plan) to the letter............every state is different..............and I think it's crap that the poor kid gets sent home with the "lost recess" notes............when does he exercise, or get fresh air or socialize? not sure how you feel about public school, but what about a charter school or magnet school in your district---one that has teachers who have some more experience?

All of this.  My kids have now been in 5 schools between them, plus one online school.  They are all very, very different.  We've never dealt with a "bad" school, but IME, every one of them has been different from the inside than what the reviews would seem to indicate.  It's worth asking around.  And can you find out who at your school district level is responsible for gifted services and call them up?  They may have some great insight for you.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#33 of 34 Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow.  I'd be really frustrated with the school.  I would be direct with the principal and tell him or her that you expect your child to be challenged in school and learn something each day.   It's obvious the behavior issues are the result of not being challenged and being frustrated.  I would also insist that a different behavior system be used for your son.  He needs recess and a minimal amount of googling will bring up numerous articles showing how restricted recess results in worse behavior not better.  (Common sense would tell anyone that!)

I think the school sounds more interested in their rules than in figuring  out what your child needs.  I would be looking for a different school if it were my family.

#34 of 34 Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I think it would be worth investigating a few other educational possibilities rather than wrestling with the disciplinary system at this private school. 

It would make sense to visit local public schools and meet with principals to ask what kinds of resources they have in place for a child who seems to be gifted who is having behavioral issues. Perhaps there is a magnet school, a charter school, or a plain old vanilla public school that can individuate curriculum for your son. 

In my area, homeschoolers work cooperatively in groups to provide children with social interaction and a variety of experiences with adults outside the home. What kinds of resources does your area have for homeschooling? Do public libraries, museums and other organizations provide daytime programming? Is there a homeschoolers group, and what is it like? It is important for kids to learn that whole "sitting on the rug in a group without being disruptive" skill, but they don't necessarily have to learn it in school and all kids may not be ready to do it by age 7. He could still learn to do that in a homeschooling environment, but you won't be on such a heavy deadline to get him there. He'll have more one-on-one instruction and self-directed instruction at home.

It might make sense for you to have your son tested for learning disabilities, since that's a way you might also be able to get an individual evaluation of his giftedness. He may not have any disabilities, but disability evaluation is something the local school system has to pay for in order to ensure that he gets appropriate education. I don't think there's any law on the books that they have to evaluate his intelligence. You can take charge of this by finding your own outside expert and getting help from his current school to pay for the evaluation. I suspect that's one reason they're insisting you get a second opinion--and if it's not the reason, if they're really being difficult, you can still jump on this as a way to get them to help you. 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page