11-yr-old DS & extremely emotional - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So he will actually be 11 next week. The biggest change is that since this school year started, he is very very emotional, especially at bedtime. He cries every night when it's time for bed. It's not the "I don't want to go to bed" kind of cry. It's like a sadness. He starts to analyze his life and says things like "5th grade is too hard and I hate 5th grade", "I hate my life", and things like that. Mind you, we just got is report card and he has straight As, is in the GT program, Lego robotics, and our family life is really awesome.

He is the oldest of 4 and I think he puts too much pressure on himself to be the "perfect one". His 9-yr-old brother is known as "the crazy one", but also really gifted.

He cries at random things and yesterday told me he hated me just because I asked him to watch his sister at the playground, so I could conference with his teacher. When he was so upset, i told him he didn't have to. I know part of it is hormones, but I'm worried about deppression.

I talked about his emotions with his teacher and she is a little concerned, but in school she sees a happy, very popular boy, who seems to love to be there. He was just voted by his classmates to get an award and he has a lot of nice friends.

I know from experience that things can look great on the outside, but be falling apart on the inside. We do have depression in our family (me) and my aunt who committed suicide.

I'm worried that the nighttime sadness is depression. For me, it started when I was 11 and my biggest fear is that this will go unaddressed.

#2 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM

That's got to be hard for a mom to see.

Have you thought about taking him for an assessment or therapy? Daily crying and a family history of depression is certainly enough to warrant it in my opinion.

#3 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I have a boy the same age (turned 11 today.) He can get really emotional too. He broke down a few days ago because he couldn't think of a single thing he wanted for his birthday and everyone kept asking him. He cried at home over some missed assignments (they were done but he'd forgotten to turn them in and you don't get reminders in 6th grade.) He's my youngest but he also has an incredibly high achieving sister and puts a lot of pressure on himself to be "as good" even though he's an entirely different person with gifts and talents of his own that she doesn't share. It's not a nightly thing, maybe once every couple months and usually caused by an distinct and external situation.

In 3rd grade though, the break downs were almost nightly because he was getting bullied. The teachers and staff were totally unaware. DS didn't tell us even when we asked. It was coming from "friends" so harder to detect. If it wasn't for the girls telling their parents and those parents calling me concerned, none of us would have known. We were able to turn in around quickly but the scars are there. Is there anyone who could be giving your DS a hard time? Might be worth really looking into even if he seems well-liked and popular.

If he were a girl, I'd be more apt to say hormones. It's not that boys can't experience hormonal swings at this age but they usually hit puberty a little later. It's typically the girls who cry at the drop of a hat at this age. If you can't get anything out of him and no one has a clue, it might be worth looking for some outside help. Does your school district have a counsellor? That can be a good first step.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post

That's got to be hard for a mom to see.

Have you thought about taking him for an assessment or therapy? Daily crying and a family history of depression is certainly enough to warrant it in my opinion.

yeahthat.gif

That's hard.  As I've often seen written here, kids deserve to feel good and to get help when they're struggling.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page