Should we have him take the test for Summa Middle School? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry, long context here:

Ds is TAG in reading and easily scores in the 99th percentile. He's not as interested in math, but he is above grade level. He had an absolute disaster in math instruction in 2nd grade (the school admits it, they were trying to follow the curriculum to the letter and it backfired completely). He's recovered from that, but since he didn't have any computational skills, when he was tested for TAG at the beginning of 3rd grade, he wasn't TAG in math (he scored high enough in concepts, but something like the 65th percentile in computation, which brought his overall score down to something like the 85th percentile). At the time I felt that was an accurate representation of his level. 

He's now in 5th grade. He's learned the computational skills he needs, and except for forgetting to check his work, he does quite well in math. I'm asking to have him tested for TAG in math this year, because I think that will get him into better classes in middle school. 

Our district also has a Summa option for middle school. Right now there are 3 middle schools that offer it, but our neighborhood school isn't one of them. Rumor has it though, that they're opening a summa 'unit' in our neighborhood school. To be admitted to Summa, you need to score in the 99th percentile for one subject (he'll easily make it for reading) and the 97th percentile for the other. 

Originally, we hadn't planned on having ds tested for summa because he expressed no interest in it, and I don't know if he'd thrive there. He's an introvert, laid back, and not driven.  In talking with dh, however, we've come to the conclusion that he does best in an environment where he's challenged. He rises to the challenge. If there's not enough challenge, he sinks to the least he can get away with. I'm worried about middle school for that reason.

I think there's still time for us to have him take the test, but we'd have to do it next week. It's a 4 hour test (2 hour reading, 2 hour math), and I honestly don't know if his math is good enough. 

Is it worth it to push him to take the test? Part of me feels like I'm just wanting to do it to 'prove' that he's smart. Part of me thinks he needs an honest-to-goodness challenge academically.  

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 4 Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

Our district also has a Summa option for middle school. ....

Part of your question is about whether or not this would be a good thing for him, but you aren't really explaining what it is and what the pros and cons would be for your child. Is it different work? It is full time or part time? How much additional homework would it add? Would it change what classes he could take in high school? It is just a more/faster program, or it is truly differentiated for our gifted kids learn differently?

Originally, we hadn't planned on having ds tested for summa because he expressed no interest in it, and I don't know if he'd thrive there

I'm all for my kids making a lot of their own choices, but sometimes children do not know what is best for them. Him expressing interests wouldn't sway my decision. He could be basing that on some other kid looking down on hard work and success.

Whether or not he would thrive there, though, is a real consideration.

I think there's still time for us to have him take the test, but we'd have to do it next week. It's a 4 hour test (2 hour reading, 2 hour math), and I honestly don't know if his math is good enough. 

Is it worth it to push him to take the test? Part of me feels like I'm just wanting to do it to 'prove' that he's smart. Part of me thinks he needs an honest-to-goodness challenge academically.  

I'd most likely push for the test, depending on more information about the program. This is the point in a kids' academic career where the ones who go after things get to do more interesting work. Neither you nor he will know if his math is good enough unless he tries.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I think it's always smart to keep your options open. I'd have him take the test. If he doesn't pass, he doesn't pass. If he passes and you decide together that's it's not the right place for him, then you just give up the spot. Keep those doors open... better to have the option to attend than not.

TiredX2 likes this.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 4 Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

I think it's always smart to keep your options open. I'd have him take the test. If he doesn't pass, he doesn't pass. If he passes and you decide together that's it's not the right place for him, then you just give up the spot. Keep those doors open... better to have the option to attend than not.

I agree with this 100 per cent.  Kids grow a lot in 5th grade, and it might be a good program for him to at least have to option to participate in. 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page