January - what are they doing now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-01-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Happy new year everyone! What are your kids up to and what have you got planned for the year?

DS has passed his first swim test in December and is super proud that after, seriously, weeks of trying and failing miserably, he managed to overcome his fears and put his head under water long enough to dive for a ring in the shallow side of the pool (he'd had the actual swimming down for like 6 weeks but the diving was part of the test). He did it crying, but he did it. That was really major for him. Just in time to start the advanced class in January which I'd signed him up for in October, phew ...only it's at another swimming pool and knowing DS, we'll have to go there at least once, better twice, before classes start in order to familiarize him with the new surroundings, otherwise it will be a desaster. Hope one of us parents gets over our colds in time...I hate this time of year for that.

And he’s been asked to the second birthday party this school year. I know it’s not a big deal for him, but it is for me! Funnily, it’s usually not the kids he invites, either to his birthday party or for playdates, that invite him back, but others. Wonder what’s up with that – not a real outsider, but somehow not interested in the kids that are interested in him and vice versa. I may have to start a separate thread to discuss, it’s really an enigma to me...

DS was in heaven with all the technical stuff he's been getting for Christmas (a Georello marble machine, Lego creator sets, a Playmobil set with a real working metal detector). He grabbed the Lego creator set which was for 8-12 year olds and insisted on starting out immediately with the "advanced build", a huge fighter jet. He spent a full afternoon, evening, and morning on it, something like 8 hours, and bar some fine-motor help and some troubleshooting about missing pieces, did it completely by himself, with minimal whining and exploding in frustration. His granny was so proud she went out right away and got the next set for him, but we agreed that she was to give it to him only for Easter so he wouldn't freak out completely (he was barely able to sleep the night after he'd started building, he was so excited).

With the new year, all the private school information evenings and open houses are coming up and with shooting for early entry for DS, I need to seriously get in gear for a lot of appointments, starting out with his preschool teachers, whose recommendation for early entry I want and probably need, because schools want it too. Thankfully the head teacher has hinted they’ll back us up, but she’ll talk to us together with his K teacher (K is an informal pull-out program in pre-school where I live, formal schooling starts only in first grade, so the formal decision about early entry is coming up this spring). So I’ll need the preschool endorsement, a ped’s certificate for physical school readiness, a positive result from the universal Kindergartners’ screening, the consent for early entry from the public school’s principal we’re zoned for and the provisional consent for early entry from any private school we may decide to apply for (there’s one catholic and one Montessori we’re considering, and then there are the applications, too). In an environment which is totally redshirting-happy. Fun! But it’ll be interesting, too, to say the least.

Thinking that DD appeared to be coming down with something, I happened to ask her daycare teachers how she’d been doing recently and they started gushing “Oh, she’s been doing wonderfully! And she is so social and so helpful!” –“Really?” I say, smiling happily, thinking I have finally managed to produce a social child. “Sure”, they continue, “and she is so bright, it’s really amazing!”  - “That’s always so pleasant I hear”, I mumble, smile freezing, thinking I can’t believe I am fielding those comments again already, she’s barely 16 months old. – “Oh yes, she is distributing all the bibs for everyone at lunch time”. “But that’s about being social and helpful, isn’t it”, I say smiling happily again in relief. “Oh no, it means she is really bright because she’s got to remember where every single child is sitting – some kdis don’t manage that for years and she’s got it down!”

Oh, and DD has discovered her identity and is obviously fascinated, waking me up every morning patting me with her hand and saying “Mama!” , then indicating herself “DD!” (or rather the baby talk approximation..), repeat...it’s so cute!

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy New Year to all!

DS (12) is stressing out about summer music camp CDs and auditions. He is really hoping he will get in at one of his top choices. We will see... He is also prepping for the Contemporary Festival at NEC Prep School. He has several concerts this month, including a solo with a local orchestra and an appearance in Weill Hall at Carnegie, playing parts of the 3rd Bach suite.

DD will turn 10 later this month. She is learning how to program in Alice, writing more poetry and enjoying baking and playing the flute. She has blossomed into a real sweetheart, very helpful!

DS (6) enjoys watching NOVA programs and being read articles from Scientific American. He is loving the Wii now--spent a lot of time this vacation playing Lego Star Wars.

#3 of 28 Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Haven't posted in a very long time but thought I'd start the new year out with a bang!

DD (16yo) has applied to her first choice college and is confident she'll be accepted. I'm also quite confident this will work out.

DS (15yo) is hoping to finish this school year as a sophomore but then hs the remainder of high school and move onto college asap.

DD (5.5yo) has been playing violin for the past couple months. The instructor is awesome but the location doesn't work for dd. It's a hs arts co-op sort of thing in a church. The room we are in is cozy but cluttered (issue #1) and we must enter the building through doors that lead through a large, noisy room full of chattering, laughing, yelling children (issue #2). We're hoping to switch to lessons at the instructors home. *fingers crossed*

We've always struggled with DDs mood. Initially we thought this may be something like reactive hypoglycemia and food does help but we also, per a friends suggestion, decided to try Child Bright gummy vitamins. We're not thrilled about the sugar content but omg did they make a difference in her daily outbursts. We did still have some issues while family was visiting over the holidays but we noticed a considerable difference since our last family gathering and she's only been on the supplements for about 2.5 weeks.

DS (2yo) seems to be slightly obsessed with trains, it's all we do. He either plays with his brio style trains (this often leads to frustration as he attempts to keep as many as 20 cars on the track but they always derail) or watches trains on the internet. He doesn't play with any other toys and I do mean any. It's all I can do most days just to get him to play with anything. Again, trains are always a draw but he does tend to drift from them after he's gotten frustrated. Then I'm left trying to find him something, anything to keep him busy. He likes to help in the kitchen so I will give him things to "cook" for me while I'm working in the kitchen. This keeps him busy for about 15 minutes then I'm back to searching for activities that will make him happy and keep him busy. Once boredom sets in he tends to look for inappropriate things to stay busy with such as smacking ornaments off the Christmas tree and clapping his hands when they went flying across the room.

He announced on Christmas Day "No more nursing Mama" and he hadn't nursed until last night and not since despite my offering many times. This is rather dramatic as DS nursed very often throughout the day and even some during the night.

This little guy is my most intense child, I've never experienced anything quite so much at such a young age. I fear I'm really in for it with this one.

#4 of 28 Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Hope it's okay if I join! DD is 4.5, and we're planning on homeschooling. Her two big things lately - she's a reader, hooray (but I think it freaks her out) and she's a second generation Star Wars nerd smile.gif. she picked up some Bob books from the library around September, loved them, and so we've been steadily reading through them ( or steadily as possible given new baby). But when I mentioned that we could move to learning/practicing with Frog and Toad, etc., next, tears, drama, woe! so we're going to go back and do Bob all over again if that's what she wants... Not entirely sure what that's about. I tried leaving her a written "clue" to find her snack today and she loved it, so we'll just keep it fun and by her lead and see!

DH is a Star Wars freak (said lovingly), and started sharing some little clips with her right before his Christmas break(teacher). Which turned into all of the original trilogy, shown in 30m chunks, minus violent scenes, plus all sorts of crafts and role play - character masks, snowflakes, paper crafts... A trip to a nearby science museum with a themed exhibit, books from the library on SW homes and vehicles that the girl child pores over all day, plus some books on prosthetic devices, which have been fascinating her. DH has even said the depth of her interest has surprised him, but she gets these intense interests. And she's so imaginative, the scope of the story is totally up her alley.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#5 of 28 Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DS 2.5 read his first book.  Very slowly and one. word. at. a. time.  Luckily it was only 1 sentence per page and only 10 pages long because it was quite a painstaking endeavor.  He was so proud of himself - very cute!     He's also learned left from right after a week of casually mentioning it a few times a day.  I don't know, this may be totally normal, but it astounds me that as soon as he left from right on himself, he could immediately tell me my left and my right when I was facing him!  No coaching on that at all!  I'm just shocked because I still have to pretend to write to figure out my right hand.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#6 of 28 Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM

DD(2.5) became a big sister in November!  She adores the baby and is adjusting relatively well - though we are certainly having more frequent and intense tantrums these days.  She is having to learn to play by herself which is definitely a challenge for her.  I'm not sure how typical this is but she seems to be using an imaginary friend "baby" and her "big sister" as a coping strategy.  When she doesn't like the way something is going, she tells a story about baby in which there is a different outcome.  She also tells stories in which baby does all types of "mean things" and gets into all types of "trouble."  It makes me a bit nervous to be honest but at least - for now - they are only stories....  

I took her to see the Nutcracker in December and she loved it.  She also got "Peter and the Wolf" for Christmas.  She has been repeatedly acting out these stories and has also begun asking to take dance classes.  I am in the process of trying to find a class for her.

DD(7 weeks) is adorable!  :-)  

#7 of 28 Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-time-to-live View Post

When she doesn't like the way something is going, she tells a story about baby in which there is a different outcome.  She also tells stories in which baby does all types of "mean things" and gets into all types of "trouble."  It makes me a bit nervous to be honest but at least - for now - they are only stories....  

First of all -- congratulations on the new little one!

Secondly -- this type of story-telling is totally normal and very healthy. My eldest dd used to re-tell all the emotionally charged incidents in her life as episodes in "Skeleton World," the place where everything worked out to her advantage, mistakes were the desired outcome, and people who she was resentful of had nasty things happen to them. In our family we still say "That's what you're supposed to do in Skeleton World" when we make embarrassing mistakes. lol.gif Dd is turning 18 this weekend.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#8 of 28 Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:

I took her to see the Nutcracker in December and she loved it.  She also got "Peter and the Wolf" for Christmas.  She has been repeatedly acting out these stories and has also begun asking to take dance classes.  I am in the process of trying to find a class for her.

DD was 2.5 when she started ballet 3 years ago joy.gif:joy Nice to have another mini-ballerina to read about. Her teacher made noises about her learning the Cygnet pas de quatre from Swan Lake this year. I haven't mentioned it to DD because she would be devastated if it doesn't eventuate.
We are on Summer holidays. Ridiculous because we unschool and you know, learning happens all the time. It's true though; ballet, drama, violin and science club are all on a break until early Feb so it feels like we are on school holidays. Instead we are swimming, practicing vioilin, bushwalking and spending a lot of time at the museum.
DD's stamina for violin practice has just had a massive growth spurt. Meaning she can now practice for what I consider to be a reasonable amount of time for a five year old. This is huge because she really likes it and wants to progress bur hasn't had the stamina to play for more than a minute or two at a time (and isn't interested in doing multiple sessions a day).

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#9 of 28 Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congratulations! joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casha'sMommy View Post

We've always struggled with DDs mood. Initially we thought this may be something like reactive hypoglycemia and food does help but we also, per a friends suggestion, decided to try Child Bright gummy vitamins. We're not thrilled about the sugar content but omg did they make a difference in her daily outbursts. We did still have some issues while family was visiting over the holidays but we noticed a considerable difference since our last family gathering and she's only been on the supplements for about 2.5 weeks.

After reading this, I immediately went out and got a vitamin supplement for DS! We feel having him partake of DD's vitamin D supplement has already made a difference for us. Maybe vitamins are our magic drug, too...

#10 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM

We're in our home city for a while, spent most of 2011 travelling and now we need to settle in for a while. DD (4 at the end of this month) is adjusting nicely to living in the city again.

She's taking cooking classes, which she likes, but some of it bewilders her. All the safety procedure and instruction are a far cry from her experiences travelling in places where children younger than her are expected to help cook and get involved without a second thought, she often got in right with them.

We're going to the park every day and she's making friends again.

We're browsing through furniture and decor stores, and going to be setting up a room just for her.

Going to museums and famous locations, taking day trips out of the city.

Library time is a new favourite.

She's already asking when we're going away again, so maybe we'll take a just-for-fun trip somewhere she wants to go rather than somewhere mama and daddy go for work.

#11 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Hello, this school year has been quite a change for ds; last year focused on his deficits and this year his teacher his teacher is encouraging his strengths.  Yesterday he became a finalist for his school's Geo Bee, which he is super excited about.  He was the only kid in his class (5th grade) to qualify.  He is also doing elp math olympiads and another elp program for defining words.  He plays the cello and baritone, but loves the cello.  Much of his free time has been spent playing with legos and wii games he got for christmas.  Oh, and we gave up our cable programming a couple of weeks ago, and ds found he loves watching history documentaries in addition to anime on streaming.  

Dd (2nd) prefers the documentaries about space, but overall prefers to get lost in a book or funny movie.  Her friends keep moving and I am a bit concerned.  In the summer, one of her good friends moved, and during winter break another one moved.  The other night, a classmate, which she has been enjoying invited her out to her sister's birthday.  When I was picking dd up, the grandma told me the little girl was moving over the weekend.  Dd does not know about her third friend moving :(   Academically, she doing well- told me she wants to be novelist which is a change from being a witch.   She is her class representative for the school student council, but she does not like getting up early in the morning to go to the meetings.    

#12 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:

After reading this, I immediately went out and got a vitamin supplement for DS! We feel having him partake of DD's vitamin D supplement has already made a difference for us. Maybe vitamins are our magic drug, too...

I've never been a huge fan of supp's but I decided, after hearing my friends story, that it'd be worth a try. I just happen to prefer to get our nutrients from food. It occurred to me that maybe my kiddos have some less than common nutritional needs that I'm not meeting as well as I'd like. Maybe their brain and body functions make them in greater need of certain things. IDK So now my kiddos are on quite the regimen. They've got am and pm Child Bright, there's additional D and Calcium along with their multi. I also recently added a superfruit gummy to our family's list of daily's but that's just for the winter. Come summer we'll just eat the fresh fruitwinky.gif

Glad to hear you're seeing some progress in your ds after increasing some supp's.

#13 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Can I say something about me here? It's about youngest dc but really the epiphany I had the other day.

My children have never played with toys! This just hit me the other when I realized youngest ds seems to have an obsession with trains. I had to call dh while out of town for work to tell him I'm a fool, that I hadn't seen this before! Quite frankly, NONE of my 5 dc have really played much with toys. The youngest two seem (or maybe it's me) more affected by the boredom this causes.

Anyway, there are Christmas gift toys laying everywhere and the only things being played with are the trains. Other than that, everything sits without a place to call home so it's my goal to organize all these toys that aren't being used.

#14 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

That's interesting...I am having somewhat similar epiphanies with seeing DD developing so differently - she is playing with toys much more than DS ever did, at a much younger age (also imitating, waving, showing social skills etc), so I realize more strongly that DS' development really has been unusual from the get-go. In fact, I feel that DS is catching up somewhat on "playing skills" by her example.

Trains have always been a big hit, though, and recently cars and car tracks. Also, I feel that once children like this get into Legos and contruction toys they appear more typical.

#15 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've never been a huge fan of supp's but I decided, after hearing my friends story, that it'd be worth a try. I just happen to prefer to get our nutrients from food. It occurred to me that maybe my kiddos have some less than common nutritional needs that I'm not meeting as well as I'd like. Maybe their brain and body functions make them in greater need of certain things. IDK So now my kiddos are on quite the regimen. They've got am and pm Child Bright, there's additional D and Calcium along with their multi. I also recently added a superfruit gummy to our family's list of daily's but that's just for the winter. Come summer we'll just eat the fresh fruitwinky.gif

Yeah, I wish I could just feed my kids fruit and vegetables (okay DS is now eating three kids of fruit and four kinds of vegetables, and is old enough to be gently coerced to be trying more, but DD, who will actually go hungry rather than eat anything but sausage and starch, sheesh...)! In fact the pharmacist, somewhat concerned, pointed this out to me when I asked or a recommendation for a kids vitamin supplement. If she had ever tried to feed my kids, she wouldn't bother...

#16 of 28 Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

That's interesting...I am having somewhat similar epiphanies with seeing DD developing so differently - she is playing with toys much more than DS ever did, at a much younger age (also imitating, waving, showing social skills etc), so I realize more strongly that DS' development really has been unusual from the get-go. In fact, I feel that DS is catching up somewhat on "playing skills" by her example.

Trains have always been a big hit, though, and recently cars and car tracks. Also, I feel that once children like this get into Legos and contruction toys they appear more typical.

Yes, I have been longing for my youngest dc to start playing with things like legos, etc. DD (5.5yo) is interested in skeletons and organs and such. It's difficult for folks not to think she's interested in odd things. lol You should see her Christmas list! (animal x ray cards, human body models with removable organs and skeleton lol)

DS (2yo) is into trains and this is at least a little more typical to the outsider but he also likes to watch train videos online and we're considering buying him a tablethuh.gif after watching him use my dads ipad last weekend. This would free up our house hold desk top for others to use. I'm hoping to find a tablet that has a otterbox available.

#17 of 28 Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

Yeah, I wish I could just feed my kids fruit and vegetables (okay DS is now eating three kids of fruit and four kinds of vegetables, and is old enough to be gently coerced to be trying more, but DD, who will actually go hungry rather than eat anything but sausage and starch, sheesh...)! In fact the pharmacist, somewhat concerned, pointed this out to me when I asked or a recommendation for a kids vitamin supplement. If she had ever tried to feed my kids, she wouldn't bother...

I'm so pleased at how well my dc eat. We have issues when things aren't perfect like a taco falls apart or I make red potatoes rather than yellow. Other than that, they eat just about anything I put in front of them. I am grateful.

#18 of 28 Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

These are some of my DS's favourite videos at your son's age:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANB-yZIJP6o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKISC2Ac3rY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWGc8JAWWj0

And the killer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF8YIH160hA

This last being the one that made me wonder at the time whether we might end up having an ASD eval at some point. As you know we did.

I'm so glad it's okay to have odd kids here.

#19 of 28 Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 PM

DD (18m) got accepted to a co-op for gifted this January. We are very happy for this opportunity.  They were not going to accept younger than 2 initially, and the next oldest is 3.5, the oldest 8.  But, lucky for us, they met her, and said they could see the need for it, and have been wonderful!  She loves it!  

A break through...she is self entertaining.  One day she played for about 15 minutes, and next thing I knew...hours!!! (sometimes lol)  Today I was able to cook dinner, and actually had to say "you okay?" ... TWICE!  (she also took out my pots and pans and emptied a zip lock bag container onto the floor one bag at a time, but hey, she did it all by herself lol) 

At her co-op, they go to the park everyday, and today she actually went into the sandbox.  (Big big deal).  They said she put her hands in the sand and actually "played" with the sand for a couple of seconds before having to have it wiped off.  This is the girl I watched learn to stand without using her hands because she didn't want dirt on them, and I wouldn't pick her up.  

Okay, and one more development, she seems to really like "no", doing what I tell her not to, not "hearing" me, ect...  I started some very breef "time out's" for safety reasons.  Luckily, she is so active, a few seconds on my lap is all it takes! lol 

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

#20 of 28 Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

DD, just turned 5 in September, and we're considering starting her into 2nd grade now and skipping all of 1st. We home school, and ended up just doing the 1st 2 weeks of 1st grade this year before family issues came up, so she's been unschooling with 1st/2nd grade level computer software for the fall. I recently tested her for buying materials for next year, and discovered that she's already testing 2nd grade level for reading / grammar - I still need to test for math and science but from the work she's doing on the PC I feel she's ready for 2nd grade work. She's devouring chapter books {her favorites right now are Berenstein Bear chapter books and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle} and has inherited my speed reading. We are making progress on her social skills, but still I think it's time for a eval for ASD as her deficiencies are beginning to bother her more and more and I'm running into areas where I'm not sure how to help her. 

Our big thing was she finally agreed to go down a slide with assistance, and in one day went from being totally terrified of them to sliding on her own on big slides.  

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#21 of 28 Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 AM

We homeschool DS (5y) and he would be in SK were he in the public system.  DH is a sahd with him right now so is the primary teacher. 

He is an avid reader.   This makes me smile as I have always been a reader and would be the kid in the corner with a book in each pocket and one in hand reading.  His favourite series right now is Geronimo Stilton (with a lexile range of 480-700).  He also loves to read the simpler books that we used to read at night together.  He never minds re-reading the stories over and over.  I chuckle because I buy him a new book of his choice and by the time we get home he has read it.  He could easily read thicker chapter novels but still enjoys having pictures (at least everyother page) or fun lettering like in the Stilton series.

For Christmas he got 2 magnet sets and is having fun learning about them.  I picked up a magnet workbook and he and DH have been trying the experiments with them.

His math levels are also growing.  He is doing 2 digit addition and subtraction as well as very early multiplication. 

He does a lot of his school work on his computer and loves Elementary Advantage (grades 1-5) http://math-software-review-k-3.toptenreviews.com/elementary-advantage-review.html

He is a video game master (everything from Leapster Leappad-Nintendo DS-Xbox 360-Kinect) and can out play most people I know.  LOL.  Because of this his hand-eye coordination and reflexes are pretty crazy!  He also loves board and logic games as well as mazes.

He is working on his printing.  I believe he is at his age level for this but he doesn't like to have to do it.  So I have been trying to find fun ways to encourage this as hubby feels he knows how to do it and it is no big deal that he doesn't, where I feel he should be practicing anyways, because the main reason he doesn't want to do it is because it doesn't come as quickly/naturally as everything else for him.

So, that is where we are now!  Oh and he is super excited for our trip in March....we aredriving to Florida and doing a day at Disney World then a 1 week cruise.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#22 of 28 Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM

I have to add one new accomplishment: She went to sleep by herself last night!  Completely self-initiated! Of course tonight DH is in there again lying next to her until she falls asleep but - she did it once so she will do it again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

First of all -- congratulations on the new little one!

Secondly -- this type of story-telling is totally normal and very healthy. My eldest dd used to re-tell all the emotionally charged incidents in her life as episodes in "Skeleton World," the place where everything worked out to her advantage, mistakes were the desired outcome, and people who she was resentful of had nasty things happen to them. In our family we still say "That's what you're supposed to do in Skeleton World" when we make embarrassing mistakes. lol.gif Dd is turning 18 this weekend.

Miranda

Thanks Miranda.  I didn't actually realize how much I needed this reassurance.  I've been thinking to myself "Skeleton World" every time she starts telling this type of story since I read your post.

Greenmama - I'm having her try out 3 different dance classes to see which she prefers.  I'm guessing that a creative movement class may be a better fit for her than ballet since it's really the story telling through movement that she seems most interested in.  

#23 of 28 Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

DD (16yo) has applied to her first choice college and is confident she'll be accepted. I'm also quite confident this will work out.

DS (2yo) seems to be slightly obsessed with trains, it's all we do. He either plays with his brio style trains (this often leads to frustration as he attempts to keep as many as 20 cars on the track but they always derail) or watches trains on the internet. He doesn't play with any other toys and I do mean any. with this one.

Congratulations! That step into college seems like such grown-up territory. I've seen some changes in my DS, who started in the fall. Outwardly, his clothes are (a little) less flamboyant. He's exercising regularly, cooking more, got his driver's license and he's seriously considering moving out on his own. He was the 2 y.o. obsessed with trains, so your post kind of bookends his life so far, lol! He used to turn all his other toys into trains or cargo on trains or train tracks or buildings/landscapes for trains to run through....

Quote:

DD(2.5) became a big sister in November!  .....

Congratulations!! 

DS 18 y.o. did well in his first term of university. He's busy this week with recording another CD with his band. In December, he turned promoter for a rock show. He booked the venue, enlisted the bands (his own, plus 5 others) and advertised and marketed it around town. The ticket sales went well and made a profit, most of which went to the bands. He was able to pay for some new equipment with the proceeds. I had been encouraging him to take some business courses, along with his psychology, philosophy and other humanities, but I think he's learning a lot with some real world experience. 

DD 15 y.o. is back at school and plunged straight into exams. She's writing science (cell biology) and math (algebra) today. She was ill earlier this week, so she's a little stressed but handling it. She's thinking ahead to the summer - she's put in applications for some positions and is waiting to hear back about interviews. If they don't work out, she may travel to the west coast to stay with her aunt and uncle instead, so there are some good options for her. 

#24 of 28 Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Congrats on the new baby and the new adult!

Mom2010-- That co-op sounds like a great opportunity for your DD, congrats!

DD just turned 3.5, and we love this age.  She is so imaginative and independent.  And, not as difficult-- just sweet as can be.  She is much easier than when she just turned 3.  And, she is reading so well.  It was only November that she advanced from BOB books and the like.  All of the sudden she is fluently reading ~first/second-grade level books (little bears, frog and toads, owl at home, the cat in the hat, green eggs and ham) with only a little help from me.  Her speed and fluency have shot way up, and her stamina is following.  I casually glanced at the Kumon reading workbook for first grade and it would be really comfortable for her.  And, her preschool teacher is beginning to notice her reading more.  She is also in love with poetry, Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutzky to be specific.  She has started to speak in rhythm and rhyme.  It is a very cute age.  I swear there is nothing more thrilling than when your kid starts to pick up real books and steadily works through them.

#25 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View PostIt was only November that she advanced from BOB books and the like.  All of the sudden she is fluently reading ~first/second-grade level books (little bears, frog and toads, owl at home, the cat in the hat, green eggs and ham) with only a little help from me.  Her speed and fluency have shot way up, and her stamina is following.  I casually glanced at the Kumon reading workbook for first grade and it would be really comfortable for her.  And, her preschool teacher is beginning to notice her reading more.  She is also in love with poetry, Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutzky to be specific.  She has started to speak in rhythm and rhyme.  It is a very cute age.  I swear there is nothing more thrilling than when your kid starts to pick up real books and steadily works through them.

ellemenope: This sounds just like my son! At 3.5 he read his first bob book. One month later he was reading about a 1st grade level. Two months after that he was reading books designed for 3-4th grade. Over the summer, right after he turned four, he read a 110 page novel. It is really really cool to see them just zoom off like that!

DS, 4, Is going to be on the local news tomorrow for his chess playing abilities. A friend of ours was talking to her friend (the news anchor) about our son and she thought it would make a fun piece. Very cool! He is going to a regional tournament this weekend.

DD, 2, just had her first gymnastics class. She was already able to do almost everything the instructor introduced to her. She seems very agile for her age- most of the other kids in the class were older and had been attending a while and she was already doing things they could not do.

Are there ever any kids that are gifted in other ways than mentally/academically? My daughter seems advanced physically and musically. She has lots of songs memorized and has pretty much always had the rhythm correct when she sings, from when she was very young. But it was easier to see my son's "giftedness" (or whatever it is- I haven't had him tested) because he had all the "signs". But some of her abilities with music or physical activities do seem rather advanced for her age.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#26 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM

I'm late to this thread this month.

DS (age 8) had some stomach issues all fall, missed a lot of school, failed to do a lot of other homework, and really didn't do very well in school. The school really wanted to meet in December but I pushed them off until earlier this month because I didn't think we could have anything resembling a productive discussion until his health was better. So we met this month and they were very impressed with his organization, and plans to make sure work got done this semester. They said he did much better in school at the end of December once he was feeling better. He had another bout of stomach issues this week, so I hope we didn't get set back to much. However, I think now that they have seen the difference between the well him's ability and the unwell DS's ability they might cut us a bit more slack getting back up to speed this time. Other than the health stuff he's doing great and just keeping busy with his normal activities. He discovered ebooks and my parents gave him an old one of theirs so he's been reading a number of classics (since I won't buy him books so he has to settle for free public domain books).

As for the toy thing - DS never has and still doesn't play with toys. Sometimes with friends he'll play with toys they want to play with but honestly has just never been into toys. I remember when all my friends kids wanted nothing but cars, he wanted nothing but books. Now that other kids his age are into Lego and such he really could care less. He likes books, he likes video games (now that he's a bit older) and despite an overflowing toy room has never really been that excited by toys.

DD (age 5) is also doing great. She's thriving in Kindergarten. I don't think we will be requesting testing this year. We are still playing things by ear with her. Her straights tend to be more in problem solving and creative thinking. So she's not as much of a early reader and ahead in academics like her brother. We will probably wait and request testing for her once the reading has cemented itself with her. Though we will probably shoot for the full time gifted program that starts in 2nd.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#27 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliShanti View Post

ellemenope: This sounds just like my son! At 3.5 he read his first bob book. One month later he was reading about a 1st grade level. Two months after that he was reading books designed for 3-4th grade. Over the summer, right after he turned four, he read a 110 page novel. It is really really cool to see them just zoom off like that!

It is just awesome, isn't it?  I am having a hard time getting over it.  LOL.  She is reading more and more everyday.  

Yesterday, my mom, who works at DD's school, told me that she heard DD could not tell her teacher what letter her name started with for their little evaluation. Like it was some huge disappointment!  DD would only give the letter sound. (letter are not even casually introduced until next year.)  I just shrugged my shoulders.  I said she is kind of stubborn about letter sounds right now.  She loves phonics.  I then wrote out these random sentences:  One day I will be a big girl.  The dog was running in the woods. and  Giraffes like to eat green leaves.   DD read them without stumbling.  I said it is working for her, so I am not too worried.  Of course, DD was not asked to read anything for the eval. 

#28 of 28 Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post

It is just awesome, isn't it?  I am having a hard time getting over it.  LOL.  She is reading more and more everyday.  

Yesterday, my mom, who works at DD's school, told me that she heard DD could not tell her teacher what letter her name started with for their little evaluation. Like it was some huge disappointment!  DD would only give the letter sound. (letter are not even casually introduced until next year.)  I just shrugged my shoulders.  I said she is kind of stubborn about letter sounds right now.  She loves phonics.  I then wrote out these random sentences:  One day I will be a big girl.  The dog was running in the woods. and  Giraffes like to eat green leaves.   DD read them without stumbling.  I said it is working for her, so I am not too worried.  Of course, DD was not asked to read anything for the eval. 

DS is currently zooming off, I think...He started out sounding out only all-caps words around Christmas. Last week, my inlaws (who I think until now have rolled their eyes a little at my worries about elementary school) told me, somewhat bug-eyed, that he'd read them a children's bible story he'd not seen before. Tonight, he read two easy bedtime stories out loud to himself - haltingly, but it is definitely not just decoding any more. I'd say it's early first grade level according to what I hear first graders do around here (academics start later than they would in the US). It is fascinating and a bit scary, even when they're five already...

Tags
Gifted Child

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page