How likely is it that my daughter is gifted? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was informed tonight during parent teacher conferences that my kindergarten daughter (she's almost 6 years old) is reading at a mid-3rd grade level. I never thought my daughter's capabilities were above average so I was slightly taken aback when the kindergarten teacher said she was the best reader in the class. I just assumed kids her age could read like she does. 

Is there any correlation between gifted IQ levels and early success at reading? 

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

There is tremendous variability in the rate of acquisition of reading fluency amongst kids this age. I don't think you can really conclude much about the likelihood of giftedness based on this alone. If there are other indicators, then yes, this is one more reason to consider the possibility that she's gifted.

Very early (< age 4.5 or so) achievement of fluency, particularly if the child is relatively untaught, is in and of itself a strong indicator of giftedness. But at age 5-6, in a classroom environment where reading is being actively taught ... well, it means you have a bright capable little girl who is likely enjoying a strong feeling of success at school. All of which is fabulous, but doesn't necessarily point to a gifted diagnosis.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Studies say that only about half of gifted children are fluent readers prior to kindergarten but most kids have a host of other indicators. The average age range for kids to "click" or "take-off" in reading is 6 to 8. This puts your DD a little ahead of the curve but in itself, isn't a sign of giftedness. Of course, it doesn't mean your DD isn't on the gifted scale but if she's truly not made you or any prior teachers question, it's more likely she's a bright girl who will continue to thrive in school. 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 5 Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Agree with the above posters. I was an early reader (4 yrs) and advanced.. probably about 3rd grade level in K, was reading adult novels by 8 yrs old. But I am not gifted.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#5 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM

In my experience, yes, there is some correlation. What is she reading in her free time? Does your school have a GT program and did the teacher suggest testing her? Tell us about her otherwise.
Quote:
I was an early reader (4 yrs) and advanced.. probably about 3rd grade level in K, was reading adult novels by 8 yrs old. But I am not gifted.

Are you sure about that? Have you been tested? Reading adult-level novels by 8 is pretty advanced. My DD is gifted and a very strong reader and she's not reading adult fiction.

FIW, she was a strong reader by mid-5 and entered K reading probably around a 4th grade level, though I don't think she was ever tested at that age.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page