Word Recognition - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently read a thread here that mentioned DORA reading assessment and decided to give it a try for my DS who just turned 6. He's struggling in Kindergarten, just does not like school much anymore, a lot of emotions, some behaviour issues (not sitting still, not doing his work etc). I'm trying to figure out where he is at academically. I do not want to request any testing from school yet, just trying to wrap my mind around what I am dealing with here and thinking how to approach the teacher regarding his abilities.

So we did DORA yesterday. His attention spam is limited and while the test was very engaging and he was happy to do it, he got frustrated with trying to click on things on his own. So I sat with him and did all the clicking for him. I already pretty much knew where he was at when it comes to reading and spelling and comprehension. But then there was something called "Word Recognition Subtest". Basically the voice says a word and there are 4 different words with similar spellings. He was lightning fast picking the correct spellings and they kept getting harder and harder. He scored at a "Low 12th grade" in that category. He scored 4th grade level in phonetics subtest (it maxed out at 4h grade level), 3rd grade in comprehension and vocabulary and 2nd grade level in spelling. So what does that tell me? Why is the word recognition off the charts? He is a pretty "new" reader. Started seemingly out of nowhere little more than a year ago, before that refused to do any sort of sounding out or reading activities, although he's known his letters and sounds since he was 2. Any ideas why one area is out of proportion compared to others?

Tags
Gifted Child

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page