What is your gifted child reading? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds just finished the Harry Potter series and we are looking for a new series for him.  Right now he is interested in the Holocaust and reading The Diary of Anne Frank. Any suggestions?  He is 8 and in 2/3rd grade....( does some third grade classes)

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#2 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 03:18 PM

DS finished the HP series during the summer after first grade, so I know where you're coming from. Percy Jackson is his second love after HP, so definitely try that (plus he's now an expert on Greek mythology!). Others to look into:

-- the Septimus Heap series

-- Spiderwick Chronicles

-- Dragonrider (not a series though)

-- The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy

-- Dan Gutman and Gordon Korman have a lot of great books for that age. (Gutman's "million dollar shot" series, Korman's "Swindle")

-- the three "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" books were a huge success. But they do nod to the truth behind Santa, so if your DS is true believer, avoid these.

-- for non-fiction, look up the Childhood of Famous Americans series. DS loves those.

I'm sure I'll think of more and come back. I love children's lit (and my local library!).

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#3 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!!!  I will for sure look for these- his passion is the used book store!  Too bad it is a few towns away so we can't go often.

#4 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If he's sensitive, I'd steer him away from Anne Frank.  It's a true story, as opposed to fantasy.

There's a lot of good children's fiction, including lots of series. Make friends with your librarian.  Some of My Best Friends are Books is a good book to reference.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#5 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

He is handling it fine- he reads war books too...  from usborne. He likes non fiction.

#6 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM

Oh, DS also LOVES war books. Keep an eye out for a series called Horrible Histories.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Curdling-Horrible-Histories-Terry-Deary/dp/1407108158/ref=pd_sim_b_1

DS got them for Christmas and is really enjoying them.

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#7 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

wow- thats pricey- I am going to write these suggestions down to take to the library once we get our library cards!!!

#8 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM

Horrible Histories are available through Scholastic now.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#9 of 75 Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

cool- i will keep my eyes out for them in the book orders!

#10 of 75 Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

For a not-sensitive (!) child interested in war: Good Night Mister Tom, about british wartime evacuees. there is another one by the same author, can't remember the title. Rusty?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#11 of 75 Old 02-01-2012, 04:35 AM

What about the Little House books?  My dd,7, just started reading Redwall after watching the cartoons on Netflix.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#12 of 75 Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

We have already read the little house books :)  We love them.  Last night he read and read anne frank- I am so shocked how fast he reads and retains since this is a book I am very familiar with it was fun to question him on what he was reading.... and he really grasps it. 

#13 of 75 Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Dragonriders by Anne McCaffrey is a series.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern  Dragonriders contains the first 3 books of the series. 

Dylan, at age 8, was reading the Eyewitness books.  He was (and still is) more interested in gathering facts that he could use than in the words on the page.  But then he is an auditory learner.  We still use videos and the History Channel more than textbooks.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#14 of 75 Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM

My son is younger than your child.   He is 5. Right now he is really into Geronimo Stilton.  Especially the Kingdom of Fantasy trilogy.  He also loves the Bad Kitty books too (pretty funny series). 

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#15 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM

we are loving Dragonrider by Cornelia Funke right now (apparently there are a few books with a very similar name!) with my first grader (my son is not really an advanced independent reader, we are doing it as a read-aloud). I like the other book of hers we read- Igraine the Brave. I really think the characters are deeper and more interesting than those in HP. I have read and liked- but not introduced to my own kids yet- both the Artemis Fowl and Fablehaven series.

dissertating mom to three

#16 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM

My 7yo daughter has turned mainly to non-fiction on a pretty wide range of topics:

technology, anatomy, history,

biographies of scientists and inventors,

magic/illusions, spies, and detectives

The public library is the best!  Our system has a limit of 75 items per library card, which the librarian didn't know until we showed up and made her computer freeze.  lol.gif

#17 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_slackermom View Post
The public library is the best!  Our system has a limit of 75 items per library card, which the librarian didn't know until we showed up and made her computer freeze.  lol.gif

That is brilliant!! biglaugh.gif I was just reviewing my library account on-line, because I got an e-mail notice that I have a dozen books that are waiting to be picked up. Of course, I put another half-dozen on hold while I was signed in to the library website. I'm wondering if I will hit my limit this week, since I already have a bunch signed out.  

OP, to answer your title question, my teenage gifties are reading:

DD -  It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, about a suicidal teenager on a psychiatric ward

DS - Plato's Republic

Perhaps your DS might like Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, about the Danish resistance during WWII, written from the perspective of a young girl. I recently read it after it was mentioned a couple of times in this forum and in the Books forum. It's quite good. He may also find Watership Down interesting, although typically it's read by an older audience. It's a story about anthropomorphized rabbits in search of a new home, but it covers a lot of political territory as the rabbits encounter different community structures on their journey, including a fairly fascist regime. I wouldn't normally recommend either for an 8 y.o., but since he's handling the Diary of Anne Frank....

#18 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Yes, I was going to suggest "Number the Stars." Also "Lord of the Nutcracker Men" by Iain Lawrence, a really well-written children's novel about the home front during the First World War, including the story of the 1914 Christmas Truce. Multiple levels of symbolism, but it works for young children at the literal level too. Poignant and thought-provoking but not disturbing. I wish it were better-known. I think it's an excellent book. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#19 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Iain Lawrence is an excellent writer. I loved The Seance... Harry Houdini, spiritualism and murder-- how can you go wrong? Also, for kids who like historical fiction, The Greener Grass by Caroline Pignat is pretty hard to put down (and is set during the Irish potato famine). My son is pretty keen on fantasy these days though, so we're reading Kenneth Oppel, Rick Riordan, John Flanagan, Margaret Haddix Peterson etc... all fun.

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#20 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy68 View Post

Iain Lawrence is an excellent writer. I loved The Seance... Harry Houdini, spiritualism and murder-- how can you go wrong? Also, for kids who like historical fiction, The Greener Grass by Caroline Pignat is pretty hard to put down (and is set during the Irish potato famine). My son is pretty keen on fantasy these days though, so we're reading Kenneth Oppel, Rick Riordan, John Flanagan, Margaret Haddix Peterson etc... all fun.

oops, sorry- Margaret Peterson Haddix! Also, has anyone read the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy? We both enjoyed these books tremendously.

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#21 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Dd is 7, and she read the Harry Potter series the summer after 1st grade.

Dd is very much into are historical fiction. There's a series called "Dear America" which are fictional diaries of young women at various points in US history. There's a spin off series called "My Name is America" that features young men. If your son likes war books, he might like these as significant periods in history tend to talk about war.

There's a series called "My America" that has a mix of male and female characters. There's on on the Oregon Trail (3 books) that's got a male character. There are some about the Civil War and several other major periods too.

Dd is also reading the Warrior Cat books. They're a little more violent that I like (the cats have battles), but dd is OK with them.

Have you read Beverly Cleary? I love her books. My kids are re-reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle series. The Beezus and Ramona books and the Henry Huggins books are good too.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#22 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Ds just turned 6 and is in kindergarten. He is currently reading "Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane". His next book will be a "Young Can Jansen" book. We picked out 3 of them at the library so not sure which will be next. DD8 (second grade) just finished "Harriet's Hare" and will be starting "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" tomorrow.

#23 of 75 Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM

I think no-one's mentioned Diana Wynne Jones yet - no war, but great fantasy. If he liked Harry Potter he'll love her books too - they are not as tightly plotted as HP in fact her plots are a bit all over the place and her big show downs never make much sense but they are great fun! The Chrestomanci books are sort of a series,  and I think she has a few other novels which sort of loosely belong together (Howl's moving castle and Castle in the air, for instance). Her best stand alone book IMO is The Power of Three, which is actually about gifted kids, only the fantasy gift kind...

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#24 of 75 Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 AM

DD8 is really enjoying Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke. Should be fine for a kid who has read HP.

She also likes the Warriors books.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#25 of 75 Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Rosemary Sutcliffe, if he wants to reach a bit further back in historical times (Roman Britain) and An Rutgers come to mind, too.

#26 of 75 Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM

My son loves the horrible history, science and maths books. His school library seems to have an unending supply! We've also been reading the Debi Gliori 'pure dead' series.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#27 of 75 Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM

The Guardians of Ga-hoole series (hope I spelled that right) by Kathryn Lasky.  Both my older kids (11 and 10) have been reading it.  They're doing it together because there's not enough copies in the library to both get the book, so they made a deal!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#28 of 75 Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Some other fantasy series that haven't been mentioned:

Alexander Lloyd's Chronicles of Prydain

Tolkein's Hobbit (quick read, but so good.  Not sure if he'd be ready for LOTR yet.  The story is much more meandering than HP.)

Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz series

Dave Barry's Peter and the Starcatcher series

Brian Selznik's Hugo

#29 of 75 Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Wanted to add (especially for OP's son's age) anything by Roald Dahl (mine were crazy over the BFG that age).  Depending on the reader, the Seekers series (by Erin Hunter, who also writes the Warriors series) is good for fantasy and animal lovers, any of the Narnia books are age appropriate both in reading level for a confident 8 yo and in subject.  My daughter read "His Dark Materials" series by Philip Pullman (the Golden Compass series) last year in grade three, my son at age 10.  There is some violence and other content issues for some parents, but I had already read the series myself.  It is an amazing, thoughtful and non-condescending fantasy series (and a spin-off on Milton's Paradise Lost) that is a nice change in fantasy writing for kids and young adults, but definitely best to have an adult around in case of questions.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#30 of 75 Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

DS loved the 'Benedict Society' Series.  Right now he/we are reading the original version of 'Alice in Wonderland'.  

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page