decline prior to acceleration - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just something I thought was interesting....   I have noticed that my DD reverts her behavior quite a bit before emerging "anew".  For example, she will go through a period of doing things she knows better than, not using "her words", temper tantrums....then one day she will wake up doing something(s) she never did before...  Usually great "leaps" forward.  Anyone else notice, or have these huge deceleration periods followed by huge progress?  The place my DD goes to now said a term for it, but I can't remember what it was or find anything about it.  I was interested in doing some quick reading on it if anyone knows what it is called...if it is called something....smile.gif

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

#2 of 5 Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Piaget, I think, termed these periods of "disequilibrium" as the child reorganizes their cognitive system.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Don't know what it's called but my kids did a bit of that in the early years. I don't know that they'd regress so much as become very sensitive and emotional just before a big intellectual jump. That seemed to stop happening around 6.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

That seemed to stop happening around 6.

My older kids have each had about a full year of "in-turning" around age 12/13/14, just prior to bursting forth as ambitious, capable adolescents ready to get on with their lives. 

I'm still seeing it in my 18-year-old, in a manner of speaking. She tends to get needier and seem lazier for a week or two just before she takes some new leap in responsibility, ability, motivation, independence, etc.. I get more phone calls, more poor-me emails and it seems as if she's spinning her wheels a bit ... and then I don't hear from her for a couple of weeks and I discover she's found herself a part-time job, signed up for a French class, got the furnace serviced, started inviting friends over for chamber music jams, applied for scholarships. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

My older kids have each had about a full year of "in-turning" around age 12/13/14, just prior to bursting forth as ambitious, capable adolescents ready to get on with their lives. 

Miranda

I'll give you that. For us, it was a different sort of behavior pattern from what we witnessed in those early years but DD did go through a sort "in-turning" from 13.5 to 14.5. It was really a period of "typical teen" behavior. It was just odd to us to see her acting like that as she'd never "been her age" before. I guess it does continue... just for us, it changed how it looked.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page