RAD (Attachment Disorder) and gifted 5 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

Has anyone out there had any experience with a kiddo that has a IEP for BD (behavioral development - they used to call it EBD) and is also gifted, but not identified gifted.  We adopted two brothers from the foster care system.  The oldest, who is now 5, was diagnosed with RAD and Sensory Processing Disorder when he was 2 and 9 months.  They also found that he was very high cognitively, but he was also very young.

Now he is in K and still has his IEP for behavioral issues.  He had a very rough transition to school for the first few weeks.  But - since then his daily behavior chart just says things like, "talked to much"  "told the kids the answers and tattled..."  "finished math early and wanted to write a story, teacher said yes but was not focused after that" 

The school does recognize that he is working above grade level, but has no idea what he can actually do. When he came home from school today, he told me he read books that were easy, easy, easy.  The reading level listed on his report card is about a year lower than where he is actually reading.

They will not let us apply for the Challenge School due to the behavioral issues.   

I am OK where he is at for K.  He has wonderful teachers.  But - for the future he needs to have some opportunity to be challenged at least a little bit.  Life is HARD!  How do you teach a kid how to work when everything comes so easy?  The other part is that if he was in more appropriate school setting, there would be some other kids he might not be getting in quite as much trouble for talking, telling answers, finishing early.....etc.

This twice-exceptional stuff is a challenge.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 PM

I actually had a very similar situation. My son was not testes for gifted support because of minor (talkativeness, out of seat, impulsive etc.) Behavior issues. They wanted to focus on behavior before giving him more academic work. Therefore he struggled until I demanded nicely he be tested a few weeks ago...grade 5. They were happy to diagnose him adhd....but not gifted? I feel like giving him more of a challange is needed!! He has never needed to study anx homework is done before he even gets home. I don't feel like thay sends a message that says learning is serious buisness. I think you should discuss your concerns firmly with the school staff...he sounds bored to me.
#3 of 5 Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 PM

That's a district policy that the Challenge School can disqualify a child because of a behavioral issue? I find that very hard to believe  (not doubting you, I'm doubting that the policy is legal).  My son is in an HGT magnet school and there are MANY kids with behavioral issues.  I'd say about 10 percent of them.  Their behavior has nothing to do with their academic needs.  I think I'd look more closely into the actual district and state policies and see if what you're being told is what they want vs. want is legal.  Your child is entitled to an appropriate education and if he qualifies for the Challenge school, seems like that's where he belongs regardless of his IEP. 

#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'd work my way up the chain and perhaps contact the administration for the challenge school directly. In my experience what you hear from one principle or administrator may not be the whole story and you may get additional information elsewhere.

When we were attempting to get my son tested I got told that his school absolutely would not test until the 2nd grade. Once I contacted the principle of the gifted school about our options she had set up testing with a week. After testing the curiculumn coordinator who our principle had supposedly spoken to had something entirely different to say than our local school had said.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#5 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm not in the US so I don't have the same insight into your system, but my experience with the public system has been that you need to keep talking until you get the right person.  Teachers and other professionals in the system are used to acting like they are in charge, and will not help you get to the next level sometimes but if you follow through and keep going over people's head you will often get a more reasonable outcome.  Good luck! 

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page