Math question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What grade level of math would you consider this question?

If you have 11 cookies and you split them evenly among 2 kids how many would each kid get and how many would be left over?

#2 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DD did that half way through 1st grade Everyday Math, with some exposure in kindergarten. 

DS just hit this half way through Singapore 3a.

#3 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I would say that conceptually it's about a 1st grade level. In terms of formulating it as a formal math operation (i.e. understanding it as 11 ÷ 2 = 5 R 1) it's more like 3rd grade, but any kid with the number sense to know that two 5's makes ten (i.e. I have five fingers on each hand and ten fingers altogether), and that eleven is one more than 10, would be able to work this out much much earlier than 3rd grade. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

DD did that half way through 1st grade Everyday Math, with some exposure in kindergarten. 

DS just hit this half way through Singapore 3a.

At school.....my girls are doing this in their first grade in a regular classroom math program (whole group instruction), both mentally and as an illustrated problem solving activity. Not as formal division.

In a home setting, informally (as in setting the table or distributing things in the house) age 3.5 or so. For example my DDs would see 5 stuffed animals to play with and verbally say- we each get two and there will be one left over we will give it to mom! They do this a lot since there are two of them and they want it to be 'fair'. They also have 'divided' items between the four of us for years (they are 6) when helping pack picnics, getting dinner (muffins or rolls or pizza slices), or other things. 

Could they solve   11/2 R x  or do the long division work.   No- but they can solve it informally.

Same with multiplication- they could not do higher level 'paper/pencil' multiplication,  but they have known " If we (two people) each have 3 cookies then we have 6 altogether. And that developed about the same as the informal division.

In class they do informal multiplication as well- mostly doubles and times ten. (ten dimes is 100 cents) in the 1st grade classroom.

#5 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Yes, I'd say first grade for this particular problem too. If it were dealing with large enough numbers where manipulatives would be difficult to use I'd say 3rd grade but splitting 10 with 1 left over is something we saw as part of the standard, non-differentiated curriculum in 1st grade.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#6 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My second grader just had a worksheet of these types of problems.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page