TCS/2 exam - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone's child every taken this test? Is it an IQ test or ?  When they give it is it offered according to age of the child or potential grade the child may go into?

I just found out this is the name of the entrance test for the school that my son had applied to. I had to dig out this information. 

This is what I found on it:

Test of Cognitive Skills, Second Edition (TCS/2) is a highly regarded cognitive abilities test that reliably measures skills and abilities that are important for academic success in Grades 2-12. It features scores for three critical cognitive factors: verbal, nonverbal, and memory. TCS/2 is the only major academic ability test that measures memory.

TCS/2 includes both age- and grade-appropriate norms.

TCS/2 has six test levels for better content focus at each target grade range. Each level contains four subtests that contribute to a better understanding of a student's ability to succeed.

• Test 1(Sequences) measures the ability to comprehend a rule or principle implicit in a series of figures, letters, or numbers.
  • Test 2 (Analogies) measures the ability to discern various literal and symbolic relationships.
  • Test 3 (Memory) measures the ability to recall previously presented pictorial materials or nonsense words.
  • Test 4 (Verbal Reasoning) measures the ability to reason deductively, analyze category attributes, and discern relationships and patterns.

Mama to 3 boys ( 6, 4, 2 ) and one baby girl!  

#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

I just got an email late yesterday from the school my son would go to.  They told me he did not do well on this exam. And I am completely dumbfounded by this. They would allow him to in the school because he has excellent grades, recommendations, and etc. They factor in the whole child. 

I can't imagine what went so terribly wrong on this test and what that  means. It was an aptitude test which some schools have even used to identify gifted children according to some digging on the internet. But how would it be that he did "terrible" on it?  

The Psychologist (the year before last)  told us that he is most definitely gifted but how gifted we can't determine without a quantitative exam. He based that off of his experience of working with gifted children and his lengthy interview with my son. How is it that a child who's not even had formal reading lessons is on 4.3 grade reading and yet does terrible on a test? Could something have gone wrong?

I am not disappointed at all in his results, in fact, perhaps I am relieved in a way because perhaps that is grounds to discovering the issues which are going on with him. And it doesn't take anything away from him; he is what he is and whatever that is, is beautiful and amazing to me. But I do lean toward believing something else is wrong.   Let's say hypothetically he had a very, very low IQ, which is indicative of this test.  There is no way a child with a low IQ could on his own pick up reading and fly exponentially high or do any of the things he does. I personally don't think it's possible for a child to at 3 years old draw the life cycle of a bird and explain how it got interrupted for dinosaurs and caused their extinction (in so many words) based on his observations of the birds in the back yard and their nesting habits. Or how the county developed their water system. He explained the public water system to his preschool class based on how he was able to suck up milk through his straw when he was in Pre School.  How would a child like that do poor on a test? 

Does anyone agree or disagree? 

#3 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

I just read this page:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/why_test.htm

do you think this is what happened?  In researching I've discovered that the tcs/2 or even the primary one is a group test aptitude test.

Is the information about this on Hoagies accurate and well accepted?

Quote:

Intelligence Testing

Ability or IQ tests purport to show how smart a person is, how well they think, or what their capability is for learning.  There are group and individual ability tests.  Group tests may be administered in group or individual situations, but are normed (scored) for a very specific group of people, for example, 2nd graders in the spring of the school year.  While these group ability tests have questions for other levels, the vast majority of the questions are exclusively for children who are commonly in the group being tested.  This means, for gifted children, there are not a great number of questions to differentiate the gifted child form the average child, nor many, if any, questions to differentiate the various levels of gifted children.

In some cases, while the correlation between group tests and individual IQ tests is quite high for average scores, that correlation almost disappears for gifted scores.  This means that an average child will score very similarly on a group IQ test and an individual IQ test, but a gifted child may not score similarly at all.  There are small studies showing that group tests may even result in a negative correlation for some gifted children.  This means that the more gifted the child, the lower the group ability test score!  Read "Investigations of the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test to Predict WISC-R Full Scale IQ for Referred Children" by Anna H. Avant and Marcia R. O'Neal, University of Alabama, Nov. 1986, ED286883, for more details on this phenomenon.

Group ability tests include such tests as the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT), the Otis Lennon School-age Ability Tests (OLSAT).

#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Did you ask your child what his experience was of taking the test? He might be able to tell you why he performed the way he did. 

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

I did, and he told me everything was fine and all.  He didn't mention anything specific.  I just got his test results back and I'm really concerned. 

removed results for his privacy.

#6 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't know about that test, but as Tigerle's link indicates, group testing is not compatible for every kid.

In one of your threads you talk about whether to test.  My advice, based on navigating two complicated kids through a system that doesn't really get them, is test.  I've never regretted doing a test or assessment, as it's always yielded valuable information.

If you do decide to test, spend a lot of time looking for a tester.  There is a new test called the WISC-R that's built for kids with learning differences and might be a good choice.  Between our two kids, we've tested 3x and every experience was quite different.  One test was with someone who was really experienced, but it wasn't great testing (he didn't follow the test manufacture's guidelines, for example), and another test was done by a relatively younger tester who really got gifted kids and spent 6 hours testing but figured out exactly what was going on.

In your shoes, I would be pursuing the following:

-vision test with an experienced developmental optometrist to rule out subtle vision issues

-audiology

-occupational therapy eval

-individual psych ed assessment

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page