What did you notice? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlin View Post

I admit, sometimes the discussions seem a little cart-before-the-horse, but I'm grateful we're beginning them now - particularly as my husband and I haven't found common ground on things like skipping grades. smile.gif

I think there's time yet for that decision! smile.gif
#32 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expecting-joy View Post

I think there's time yet for that decision! smile.gif

It will also depend on your kiddo.  I have one highly gifted child (99.9th+ IQ) who is not grade skipped b/c there were other reasons for which it was not a good fit.  I have another who is grade skipped.  Intelligence alone won't be the deciding factor.  Good luck coming to the point of seeing eye to eye, though!

#33 of 41 Old 05-10-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post

It will also depend on your kiddo.  I have one highly gifted child (99.9th+ IQ) who is not grade skipped b/c there were other reasons for which it was not a good fit.  I have another who is grade skipped.  Intelligence alone won't be the deciding factor.  Good luck coming to the point of seeing eye to eye, though!

Yes, thank you, definitely need to remember to tailor things to her. That is, after all, what we're battling with all the "expectations" of friends, family and other parents!

#34 of 41 Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It didn't seem that odd at the time, but my husband I used to spell words to each other to keep the kids from knowing what we were saying. I have our daughter on tape catching on and knowing the words we were spelling in a conversation when she was 17 months old, still a toddler running around with curly hair in a diaper.  Another time when she was late three or early four, we were at the library and she was outraged by a sign on the wall and threw a fit about what it said.  Only years later, watching the tapes, did I realize that was a big sign.

#35 of 41 Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM

She sounds like she is healthy, very self, and environmentally aware. This is a really good sign, though not necessary to be categorized as "gifted". "Gifted" is technically a term used for describing when a human being is advanced in 1 (one) or more areas. For example, I have seen kids that are advanced in vocabulary, but not mathematically and vice versa. I read that most professionals think that looking at a baby and projecting out if they are gifted is difficult, but looking back is 20/20 when combined with an interview.

To answer your question, my narrow opinion is that they are good signs. They resemble my daughter, but not my son, though both my kids are ahead in many areas.

#36 of 41 Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

And in the meantime, she's a blast! Definitely having fun watching her learn - and watching how she learns, fascinating! I gave her a clear plastic tube with a couple measuring spoons in it, she had figured out how to open and get the spoons out lickity split! 

#37 of 41 Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM

yeahthat.gif  So cute!  And that is my favorite thing - and why I'm so glad I can be home with DS!  I love seeing the crazy tasks he comes up with for himself, how his brain works, how he problem solves - even how he follows directions, the words and phrases he comes up with - it's all beautiful. smile.gif

That's where my interest in giftedness comes from - just a place of amazement, coupled with my own and others observations of how he is so different from others - but it's just a natural recognition of the little person he is, kwim?  Not really into the label as such.  More just in awe of this lil miracle dude (as I'm sure every mother is! winky.gif).  

At this point, we are planning to unschool him, to keep the focus on him as an individual just like it is now, so he can keep learning and loving it like he does now - and avoid the need for pigeonholes and measuring sticks.  I grew up in gifted programs at school and was less than thrilled with the label and experience.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#38 of 41 Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

yeahthat.gif  So cute!  And that is my favorite thing - and why I'm so glad I can be home with DS!  I love seeing the crazy tasks he comes up with for himself, how his brain works, how he problem solves - even how he follows directions, the words and phrases he comes up with - it's all beautiful. smile.gif

This is it exactly!

Yesterday she said "cat" a couple times (my name, but she meant the kitty variety since she said it to a picture of a cat :P ), and today was "woof woof" to her stuffed dog, lol. 6 months next week, yay!

#39 of 41 Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 AM

Ohh, yes signing completely changed my relationship to my first child. It was like opening up a whole new world. I was so happy to have a family that was willing to learn with me. Now that my son is getting all grown up it's so hard to not to recall those early times. Cherish them. A gifted child can come with their own unique challenges. No, really dear, you need to stop reading that textbook and go to bed, the math olympiad is tomorrow.

Your child probably is smarter than average. That he is smarter than you is less likely. Are you familiar with regression to the mean? You'll just have to wait and see =)  

#40 of 41 Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulGifts View Post

Ohh, yes signing completely changed my relationship to my first child. It was like opening up a whole new world. I was so happy to have a family that was willing to learn with me. Now that my son is getting all grown up it's so hard to not to recall those early times. Cherish them. A gifted child can come with their own unique challenges. No, really dear, you need to stop reading that textbook and go to bed, the math olympiad is tomorrow.

Your child probably is smarter than average. That he is smarter than you is less likely. Are you familiar with regression to the mean? You'll just have to wait and see =)  
Ha! I got into so much trouble for reading as a kid! One of my favorite Christmas presents was a book light....ah, memories. wink1.gif

Yes, and if my husband and I each represent extreme variables, well...I look forward to our very own probability experiment? :P
#41 of 41 Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMom View Post

She sounds like a normal little girl who may be ahead of the curve physically. :) Seriously..I think 3 months is too young to tell if your child is gifted. Most likely she will be bright since intelligence since you and your husband both are. Two of my children were way ahead of the curve physically and one a little behind, and so far I haven't noticed any major differences in intelligence between them. :p 

I agree. I suspect all four of mine are gifted (only ds1 has ever been assessed, but he feels his siblings are all smarter than he is). However, ds2 may well be the most gifted of them all (at least in the sense that "gifted" is generally used...both his older siblings have a wider variety of gifts - athletics, art, etc. - than he does. He was also, by far, the most behind of my children on the developmental milestones. He walked at 4-5 months older than any of his siblings, talked at a year older than his siblings, etc. I don't remember the exact times for crawling, sitting up and such, but he was slowest of the bunch. (He never needed his head supported, but none of my children did.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page