gifted child of a single mother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not sure I know/believe in the criteria for the 'gifted' child, but it is evident that my 2 and 10 months old girl is advanced verbally and socially. She speaks in complex sentences, makes complicated jokes, seeks mental connections actively, is bilingual and successfully initiates play child children as old as 11(!). In the city we live, preschool is a competitive, expensive nightmare. I worked my paperwork-hell ass off to find every loophole...for instance, she qualified for scholarship through the French government to go the the pricey bi-lingual school...but nothing came through. I am also very down to earth and feel that a coop would be great for us- we both need the community. But even those have a pricetag that is high for me as a grad student whose been laid off (twice!). How how how can I find quality resources for my kid? As she gets older, scholarships sure, but merit based scholarships for a 3 year old?! My heart is sinking thinking I may not be able to provide what would help her meet her potential. 

#2 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbellpress View Post

I am not sure I know/believe in the criteria for the 'gifted' child, but  

I don't understand what you mean by this?  There's no such thing as a gifted child?  The criteria is wrong?    Hmm.  

Sorry you're having trouble finding a preschool.  Play-based preschools are fine, even if you don't believe in "gifted criteria." My gifted children did fine in a playbased preschool.  

#3 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbellpress View Post

How how how can I find quality resources for my kid? As she gets older, scholarships sure, but merit based scholarships for a 3 year old?! My heart is sinking thinking I may not be able to provide what would help her meet her potential. 

I bet that, YOU are the best quality resource for your kid! Think of all the things she has already learned with your help.  I'm sure you have more to teach and show her.  I don't know about France, but where I live, even pricey academic preschools are teaching things that gifted kids already know.  I second the play based preschool with a very creative and energetic caregiver. 

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#4 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding! And I don't doubt that some children are super smart and capable. I think 'gifted' implied comparison, a set continuum of intelligence...I just think things are probably more complicated than that. I bet some kids have latent 'gifts' that the environment surrounding, or even their nutrition for instance, doesn't develop. I would love more tips from parents- games, toys, books, ways of interacting. It's likely that the stress of my life and the chaos of the family breakup could be using the energy that would otherwise go toward her 'gifts'. Guilt! Tho I know extreme talents and interests (creative ones for example) can also act as a defense and a protection. Thanks for your feedback. I'd love to hear more if anyone has it.
#5 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Also Chaimom, I was just saying that I dont know if MY kids is "gifted". Some things about her, memory for instance, seem extraordinary, but babies and young children were grossly underestimated til quite recently from what I gather. She's advanced, that's a fact, anyone and everyone comments on it, but where does it cross the line?  

Tags
Gifted Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page