Toy Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't want piles of toys, but we'd like to add a couple quality ones - right now she plays a lot with books, stacking cups/measuring cups and chews her Sophie giraffe (yay, teething!). It's difficult enough to wade through all the toy options, then add in that the age recommendations don't always apply...

Since she's not "typical", I was hoping you guys might have some recommendations. She is 6 months old, very mobile (crawls) and is beginning to speak (cat, woof woof, hi, mama). She ADORES music - us singing and my husband playing guitar.

Any ideas? Thanks! smile.gif
#2 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Actually, I recommend the same toys to everyone.... Wooden Blocks, dress-up items, something that rolls (though it could be anything from a car/train to a wooden animal on wheels,) something soft (doll, stuffed animal,) kitchen toys. Simpler the toy the better. You want a lot of room for imagination and toys that can be mixed and played with together. I'd avoid academic toys unless it's something simple like an abacus (which my own kids really did love at the time.)

I will say that my own kids loved "little people" if you are looking for a more mainstream toy. We had the barn and an ark I think.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Yaaaay for Sophie!!!  joy.gifAnd I hear ya on the age recommendations eyesroll.gif - and it's hard not to get swept away, when you know you want a tailored list, but toys are everywhere!

DS is 14 months now, and the best toys we have are hands down wooden blocks and trucks.  He has alphabet blocks and building blocks (arches, cylinders, etc.) that he adores.  A wooden cement truck is a favorite, as is his wooden block train (if she isn't super into vehicles, per se, I have seen some cute wooden rolling animals).

Other than that, he continues to love anything salvaged from the recycling bin (paper towel tubes, glass/plastic bottles, cereal boxes, almond milk jugs, etc.).  I think when he was about the age of your DD, he really got into taking caps and lids on and off of things - including child-proof caps bigeyes.gif - and other fine motor stuff, like putting holly berries or dry spaghetti into narrow-necked bottles, sorting small things in bowls, etc.  

Sensory bottles are also a cool idea for the wee ones (that still mouth things!) - you can put food coloring in water and add oil to the bottle - they can shake it up and watch it separate.  You can add glitter or a thousand different things - just glue the caps on if she is good at getting them off!  You can google it for lots of ideas.

Musical instruments are huge in this house - any kind of simple drum, the Melissa and Doug band in a box, or any homemade instrument (rice in a bottle, wooden spoons, pots and pans, beans in a box taped shut - some of those need alot of supervision, but easy to make).  DS is a dancing machine these days, constantly requesting the iPod, but he's always loved music and will make it with anything. smile.gif

DS loves to "sort" the laundry and his cloth diapers - and pull everything out of our drawers - so maybe a pile of playsilks or small clothes in a basket for that purpose.  He's been really into "helping" with household chores like vacuuming, washing dishes, etc. for a while now, but you've still got a bit for that - it's great though, no toys needed! winky.gif

A wool felt ball would be nice, too - light and soft and easy to handle.  I do notice the natural materials get played with a ton more in this house!  And tons and tons of books, of course - including some lift-the-flap books - DS loved those at that age.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#4 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Also, this probably totally depends on your kid and how she is wired, but DS really has no tolerance for toys that are meant to be used one way (stacking rings, wooden puzzles, plastic thingamabobbers that do x if you do y, etc. you name it).  

He could have a BLAST stacking, organizing and rearranging soup cans in the cupboard - but if we gave him one of those one trick ponies, instant dust collector - the more open-ended the better, for sure! 

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#5 of 24 Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks guys, wooden blocks sound perfect - is there a brand you've had success with? (like one that survives a gnawing baby smile.gif)

(pickle, the caps thing reminds me- I stuck some measuring spoons in a plastic tube thinking she'd like to shake and roll it, she just sat with it until she popped the end off and got the spoons out! Wait...I think I've told this story? Oh, well!)

And thanks for the encouragement that all our homemade, improvised "house stuff" toys are a-ok smile.gif
#6 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Uncle Goose makes some great ones - all different varieties, upper and lower case, Spanish, etc. (we have the classic kind - uppercase letters, numbers, and pictures of animals).  They are a great size and excellent quality - easy to hold and gnaw on, too big to choke.  

We got our building blocks used (I think they said they were from Land of Nod originally - can't find them now...), but these are similar: 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=building+blocks&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12762119303488624901&sa=X&ei=5BTrT6zvHIeE8ASTp9DXBQ&ved=0CH0Q8gIwBA#ps-sellers

They have some smaller colored pieces mixed in, too (some of those I've kept hidden for now just for size/choke hazard).

I remember that story! smile.gif  That is so awesome.  I love the cool ways they surprise us and how their lil minds work and grow.

#7 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 AM

My DD(7 months) loves balls, blocks, musical instruments, stacking cups and rings, empty containers,
and a bead maze. Since yours is already using some words I might also consider a doll with blanket and bottle or some dishes to play with?
#8 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 AM

How about an ipad?  My 7 month old loves our ipad.  It's great because it can grow with them.  My 3 year old is learning how to write her Cyrillic letters with some app my DH downloaded (it's great because my DH and his family speak Russian, but since I can't read it I can't help her with the letters).

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#9 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM

I agree with the recommendation of providing the same open-ended toys that you would for any child.  My (probably gifted) DD1 was speaking in simple sentences at 7 months, but she still liked the same toys that our other (non-talking) baby likes.  We have a prepared environment with things like blocks, silks and rattles and it's generally enjoyed by all babies regardless of what milestones they're meeting.  We've really liked the haba brand blocks.

Also, I would be really careful not to saddle a baby with a gifted label until they're in a place where it actually matters.     

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Healthcare is a human right!
#10 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! As Pickle mentioned it's hard to get a tailored list when there's so many options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post

How about an ipad?  My 7 month old loves our ipad.  It's great because it can grow with them.  My 3 year old is learning how to write her Cyrillic letters with some app my DH downloaded (it's great because my DH and his family speak Russian, but since I can't read it I can't help her with the letters).

We have two in the house and they are fantastic! She loves Peekaboo Barn and even Garage Band lol! That's really neat that yours is using it with Russian, I'm so grateful for what tech empowers us to do! (like take a million baby vids on our iPhones :D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

Also, I would be really careful not to saddle a baby with a gifted label until they're in a place where it actually matters.     

Don't worry, it's not about labeling - it's about avoiding the pitfalls my husband and I encountered as gifted kids! :)

#11 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post

I agree with the recommendation of providing the same open-ended toys that you would for any child.  My (probably gifted) DD1 was speaking in simple sentences at 7 months, but she still liked the same toys that our other (non-talking) baby likes.  We have a prepared environment with things like blocks, silks and rattles and it's generally enjoyed by all babies regardless of what milestones they're meeting.  We've really liked the haba brand blocks.

(bolding added)  This would probably be a really great topic for another thread.  This is OT, but as another new mom who is often checking out this forum, I do feel it is relevant.  There are young babies who are exceptionally bright, meeting milestones early, etc. (whose parents were often both labeled "gifted") - yet calling them gifted can push alot of buttons.  I think parental intent is huge in this regard - whether it's coming from a place of observation and wonder or a spirit of measuring sticks and competitiveness.

I understand not wanting to label a baby anything (I hesitated for a looong time to call DS "high needs" or "spirited" - but it really helped me understand him and find appropriate resources!).  They are babies after all - and little blossoming individuals.  I also understand that testing can be helpful later on for schooling options and for parents to better understand their kids' needs/strengths.  But sometimes I feel this forum is in danger of turning into a place where people are intimidated to post unless they have numbers and testing and pieces of paper backing their "right" to the label.  It can get weird.

Maybe we should just call these advanced, precocious kids "bright" or something else?  "Gifted" seems to be a really loaded term.  As someone who grew up with that label, I really don't think it's a big deal, provided the parents are coming from a good, healthy place.  shrug.gif

I'm all for parents understanding IQ scores and the definitions of HG/EG/PG and whatever if it really, truly helps their child or is necessary to gain better education options - but I also think this testing and classification of children, dropping them into little boxes based on testing, is pretty artificial and clinical.  Quantitative measures shouldn't exclude qualitative observation - especially of something as fluid, varied and impossibly complex as human intelligence and abilities.

Cathlin likes this.

#12 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Sorry OP - we cross posted (and I'm stepping off my soapbox now - back to toys!)  smile.gif

#13 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlin View Post

Don't worry, it's not about labeling - it's about avoiding the pitfalls my husband and I encountered as gifted kids! :)

As another former gifted kid (though I don't remember my fave toys at six months), I can say that my favorite toys were not very different from what everyone else was playing with.  I just played with some of them differently.  

That's why open-ended toys are so awesome, because everyone plays with them at their own level (or depth!).   

With blocks and wooden trains, I was likely building a scene from a book I'd read when I was 3, while my preschool classmates had never heard of it -- but we were both playing with the same toy, together.

My daughter loved the Fisher Price Little People because her imagination outstripped her motor skills.   They were chunky and appealing and let her act out all kinds of imaginary scenarios.    Later, she shifted to Playmobil and appropriated all her brother’s pirates to add to the princesses her uncle bought for her (brother gave them up willingly because he was far more into Lego). 

The best stuff, though, was all open-ended.   Blocks, trains, animal/people figurines, dolls and bears. 

At six to twelve months, though?   The best toys are still grownups.   Silly faces, blowing farts on tummies, peekaboo, and singing.   You might invest in some music that’s good for singing out loud and dancing to?   My kids grew up listening to what we usually listened to, but I went looking for things that weren’t kid music exactly, but were more kid-accessible, with good melodies and comprehensible lyrics and a steady rhythm.  

Smaller (but not choking-hazard) blocks-- that small pudgy fingers can grasp, manipulate, and stack

I also have a pretty strong belief that babies and toddlers and preschoolers need full-body, all-senses, 3-dimensional experiences and play FAR more than they need screens or electronics of any kind.   I didn’t touch a mouse until I was 16 years old; it certainly didn’t stop me from being very, very facile with all kinds of computers and technology, and a child who isn’t proficient with computers at 2 isn’t at some huge disadvantage in the 21st century.   To fully support the developing brain, children need everything stimulated, not just their eyes.  There’s a huge difference between learning to hold a crayon or pencil and making real lines on physical paper vs. tapping a screen or clicking a mouse, and the kids I know who *didn’t* have as much access to tech as small children have become middle schoolers who … well, I’ll just say that they seem to NOT have been damaged by not having lots of screen and computer and ipod time.  

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#14 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM

I guess, I just don't get what a gifted baby would need that's different from a non-gifted baby.  If it matters, both my husband and I were considered gifted at school, so I'm also a "formally gifted kid".  My parents didn't treat me differently than my sister.  They followed both of our leads and encouraged us in our interests.  We've both been successful adults, so I think their approach worked well.

Healthcare is a human right!
#15 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM

I agree with the others. I think all babies and toddlers benefit from high quality, open ended toys, gifted or not. Once your child gets a little older, you will want to pick out toys that build on specific interests, just like for any kid. How your kid plays with the toys might be different, but the actual toys will likely be the same.
#16 of 24 Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 PM

check out play at home mom: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-at-Home-Mom/174614952594331

great ideas for all ages, but the baby ideas are quite different then traditional ways to engage/ inspire babes.

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#17 of 24 Old 08-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Play silks
Wooden blocks
Peg puzzles
Balls, bean bags
Art supplies (fingerpaint, play dough...)
Schleich animals
Wooden picture tiles & dominoes
Felt play food (or wood, if you prefer - but we preferred felt)
Musical instruments
And more play silks!
#18 of 24 Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post

I agree with the others. I think all babies and toddlers benefit from high quality, open ended toys, gifted or not.

Agree with this.  

Aim for sturdy, open-ended toys that will grow with your DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expecting-joy View Post

Play silks
Wooden blocks
Peg puzzles
Balls, bean bags
Art supplies (fingerpaint, play dough...)
Schleich animals
Wooden picture tiles & dominoes
Felt play food (or wood, if you prefer - but we preferred felt)
Musical instruments
And more play silks!

Great list.

As babies, my DD liked blankets and pillows of different fabrics (silky, soft, velvety, courdroy, velvey, crinkly, etc).

A mirror

blocks

play animals (fabric and harder materials)

strings of bells ( we used to put them on DDs ankles and let them jingle away as babies)

music CDs

stacking cubes/buckets/boxes

bucket type toys (put things in/take things out)

Shape sorter

#19 of 24 Old 08-13-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!! Her bday is Dec 26 do we're trying to be very edited in our toy selection - we've a big family, Christmastime will be a deluge!

We got her a shape sorter on Saturday, she figured it out the same day! I guess that's a good example of what I meant with my q - age recommendations stink! (the shape sorter was for 12+ months). We got the Tolo one, she really likes checking out the different sounds the shapes make (each has a different rattle), I recommend it if anyone is looking for one.
#20 of 24 Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlin View Post

Thanks so much!! Her bday is Dec 26 do we're trying to be very edited in our toy selection - we've a big family, Christmastime will be a deluge!
We got her a shape sorter on Saturday, she figured it out the same day! I guess that's a good example of what I meant with my q - age recommendations stink! (the shape sorter was for 12+ months). We got the Tolo one, she really likes checking out the different sounds the shapes make (each has a different rattle), I recommend it if anyone is looking for one.

There are a lot of Tolo- but most have 3-4 shapes. They say age 1-3, but ones like the roller one look more like infant toys (6-18 m), the ball one is a bit harder and I would likely safely 9+ m. That is just from my preschool teaching perspective. Try a harder one!

This is a great one from Tupperware- ages 6m + but has 10 shapes AND it builds strength to open.

http://www.amazon.com/TUPPERWARE-Shape-O-Ball-Toy/dp/B000QE87FK/ref=pd_sim_t_2

OR this 18 shape by Playskool

http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Busy-Basics-Fitter-Colors/dp/B00000IW2S/ref=pd_sim_t_1

Sometimes the age suggestions are way off and sometimes they are fairly OK, it depends on why they put the age. It could be for fine motor- for the kids that would play with it MOST would need the skills in place for cognitive and fine motor. Some kids will have cognitive skills to solve it but not fine motor and others may have the fine motor but not the cognitive. The age on the box is when the vast majority of kids would have all skills needed so keep that in mind when looking at a toy.

Also any toy with small parts will say 3+ or 4+ (depending on size of pieces)  due to choking hazards. This is completely to keep kids safe. A child that does not put things in their mouth may really enjoy some 3+ toys long before they are 3.

As for gifts : I would suggest making a 'wish list' for your DD if you have specific toys or other things you would like to offer if family members ask (we keep a running one on Amazon for grandparents and family since our DDs tastes are eclectic and often above/below age-standard predictions. It also help make sure that books are ones at their level and/or we dont already have!

Or even magazines like BabyBug, Animal Baby (my kiddos LOVED magazines even as babies! Those two are for ages 1-3) or passes to Children centers (museum, hands-on, Little Gym, Gymboree, etc) are good if you are worried about too much stuff. We live in a small space so we are always trying to make conscience choices on play toys.

Other ideas:

play crawl tunnel (my older kids still play with it!)

tent

small ball pit (very good for sensory and easy to deflate and store)

large magnets (animals, transportation, etc= Melissa and Doug carry a good line. They are way too large to put in mouth and are easy for small  hands to manipulate. They are also good for older kids to play with!)

#21 of 24 Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMichigan View Post

Other ideas:

play crawl tunnel (my older kids still play with it!)

tent

small ball pit (very good for sensory and easy to deflate and store)

large magnets (animals, transportation, etc= Melissa and Doug carry a good line. They are way too large to put in mouth and are easy for small  hands to manipulate. They are also good for older kids to play with!)

I need to second the tunnel & tent.  She will not only have fun with them now, but later too.  My kids still use the tunnel.  They make obstacle courses with it, use it in their "plays", use it to connect houses (tents).  

You have a lot of good ideas here.  We always tried to stay with open-ended toys and I feel that was a really good choice.  However, we occassionally had toys that were "meant" to be used one way.  My kids ALWAYS found a different way to use it.  I just laughed and was happy that they found a way to use it.  Also, we rarely had toys that required batteries.  At one, my dd really liked her doll and her ball best.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#22 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM

I second the play tunnel and tent and all kinds of in and out toys, fabrics, textures, colors. I also think you need a shape sorter that is at least 18 shapes.

I also wanted to recommend some book toys:

Magnetic Toy Books like this:
~ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1845100506?ie=UTF8&tag=imagoodlitttr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1845100506

Priddy Soft Books like this:
~ http://www.amazon.com/Squishy-Turtle-Friends-Cloth-Books/dp/0312491840/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346129837&sr=1-2&keywords=priddy+cloth+books
~ http://www.amazon.com/Cloth-Book-Fluffy-Chick-Friends/dp/B000ESSRTE/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346129837&sr=1-3&keywords=priddy+cloth+books
~ http://www.amazon.com/Fuzzy-Friends-Cloth-Books-Book/dp/B0083U2DFE/ref=sr_1_28?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346129953&sr=1-28&keywords=priddy+cloth+books

Alphabet & Number Books in Snap-Lock Boxes:
~ http://www.amazon.com/My-ABC-Ruth-Hooper/dp/0764176250/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346130408&sr=1-3&keywords=alphabet+book+set
~ http://www.amazon.com/My-123-Ruth-Hooper/dp/0764176269/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346130513&sr=1-3

These are things my kids played with for years and years and years. Those last two are amazing. They can be used as blocks, too and have great pictures.

If I find more links, I'll let you know. Stuffed bowling sets are great, too.
#23 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

For some reason, my kids were only transiently interested in wooden blocks, but they loved Duplos. DD played with them before she was one (she's got amazing fine motor skills) and DS still does, at almost 6. It's also a great gift to recommend to relatives - easy to pick out, sets come in all sizes and price ranges and you can keep adding (I'm sure DS would love to get one of the really expensive train sets, but we have held out so far...).

Both kids love marble runs - at the baby and early toddler stage, they loved a small stationary one made from wood with the large marbles which are safe for under-threes (DD still does actually), from a later toddler age they really liked the plastic ones you can stackup yourself (unlike the wooden ones, they are stable...). And you can add to those too - Georello makes one with an electric marble elevator. Bliss!

I am as much in love with beautiful wooden toys as anyone, but I have found that my kids get the most creative use out of well-designed plastic toys...

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#24 of 24 Old 08-28-2012, 12:05 PM

For Duplos, I highly recommend the Duplo Educational line - much more creative than the dinky sets in regular mortar and online stores. My 8 yo will still find ways to play with them, so a good investment. We got a lot of the special pieces we wanted through Ebay.

The giant wooden marble runs were also favorites here and I second that when they're older the plastic are much, much easier than the wooden block style. Plus, you can get four sets for much less than the price of a small wooden set and they can be super, super creative with that.

For expensive wooden toys, we have gotten tons of use out of Haba's Sticki Steine. they are wooden blocks, but have bumps and grooves like LEGO. We found several used and have a very nice, very large set (maybe 110 pieces?). Every age visitor loves them.

For gross motor, we got tons and tons of play out of the BIG Step 2 slide, the Up and Down Coaster and the door-jam swing and bars. My kids could both ride the Up and Down Coaster without help by 8 months (they were walking at 8 and 6 months, respectively) and could climb up and slide down the tall slide without assistance when my oldest got it at 12 months and the younger was off on it at 5 months with us catching her. They still use it. We keep it indoors. You can roll colorful wiffle balls up and down the Up and Down Coaster or the Slide, too, then gather them up into a bin or sort them and do it again. Oh, and that Cozy Coupe thing got a lot of use, too. We got ours on freecycled.

We also have a huge set of the 1972 Little People. My husband and I and most of our friends agree they are much more conducive to creative play than the new ones. They are also pretty easy to find used. Right now many of the pieces are being used in an elaborate scenario envolving wooden trains, wooden cars, wooden people, blocks, LEGO, fabric, playsilks, cotton, Schleich animals, the doll house, a FP barn, FIMO creations and PLAN roads. These toys grow and grow.

I also recommend the following board games. My kids were playing them easily at 12 months. HABA: Orchard, The Snowman Game. Selecta: Corso Canneloni, Piccobello, Duomino, Grab It, Memo Primo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page