Dd tested today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD was tested by the school psychologist today. She really enjoyed the testing. Thanks to all for your suggestions on what to tell DD ahead of time. The Dr. Said that certain portions of the test dd did "remarkable" on. I now have to wait until he completes the profile, turns it into the school, and then I will have a meeting everyone at the school. He used the Wechsler tests. Can anyone give me any info. About that test as well as any questions I should ask at the meeting at the school? Obviously, I have a list compiled based upon my own observations of dd as well as her particular situation. However, I would love any input from parents who have "been there, done that". Thanks in advance.
#2 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Just giving this a bump in case anyone has any input for you. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 9 Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
#4 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM

No input. Sorry

I wanted to ask how old is your DD? I'm also figuring out to test or wait for a while.

#5 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

She is almost 7. I didn't really want her to be tested so soon, however, now there will be many more opportunities opened for her through the charter school she attends.

#6 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM

I'd ask for all of the subtest scores not just the FSIQ or GAI.  I mean all of the scores that feed into the indices not just the index scores as well.  It is worth knowing if there is a lot of variation there that is making the overall number less remarkable in and of itself.  For instance, I have one child who had a moderately gifted score on the perceptual reasoning index of the WISC, but in knowing that an overall score that looked gifted but not remarkably so was due to three scores that were 25th percentile, 99th, and 99.9th, it did raise more questions and the realization that something else might be going on.

Good luck.  I hope that you don't have to wait too long for the results.

#7 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

That is why I love MDC. Thank you so much for the input. I had no idea about the test is "scored". She is definitely way advanced in reading, language, comprehension areas than some of the other areas. I greatly appreciate your advice.
#8 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 AM

Given her age, I'm assuming that the Weschler test used would have been the WISC-IV (Weschler Intelligence Scale for Children version 4).  There is a remote possibility that they used the WPPSI, the preschool version, b/c you can give that up to age 7 yrs 3 months, but hopefully not b/c she is more likely to have hit ceiling issues and not get as good of a measure given her closeness to the age limit of the test.

The WISC has three indices: VCI (verbal), PRI (perceptual reasoning), WMI (working memory), and PSI (processing speed).  There are then subtests that feed into the total scores for these indices and all four indices are used to calculate a FSIQ (full scale IQ).  If there is large discrepancy btwn the PRI and VCI indices versus the WMI and/or PSI, an alternate IQ score called a GAI (general ability index) should be figured instead.  I'd want not only the VCI, PRI, WMI, and PSI scores, I'd want the scores for the subtests within them.  One of my kiddos had those wonky scores I mentioned above within the PRI index and, while all of her scores (PRI, VCI, GAI, and FSIQ) were gifted, we were told they were likely an underestimate given how erratic she was and she has, honestly, always outperformed those IQ numbers.  For her, I don't really think that she is twice exceptional so much as she is a slower deeper person and one who had come off a terrible school year just before testing and who was uncooperative as a result.

Both of my kids have taken the WISC IV and I am a gifted children's coordinator for my local Mensa group so I've had others share their kids' scores with me in the past.  If you have any questions when you get those scores, I'd be happy to give it a try to see if I have any insight.  Feel free to send a pm.

#9 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Many, many thanks! I hope we don't have to wait too long for results.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page