One low score on an achievement test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2E 9-year old is in private school, where they take a standardized test called the ERB once a year. We just got his scores back and he is in the 99th percentile in all categories except "auditory comprehension" where he was in the 50th percentile. I am a bit concerned about that huge differential. He has had a couple of IQ tests over the years and we've never seen anything that far off the rest of the scores. No sign of learning disabilities at this point, but because of his other special needs, that is always on our radar.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
What are his special needs? Has he had a full neuro psych eval? Could it just be a bad testing day and not reflect his ability?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

He has Aspergers/PDD (depending on the day and the evaluator!). He is fairly subtly affected -- in a mainstream class, no supports, just private social skills work. He had a full neuro-psych eval when he was diagnosed 4 years ago, but he has only had stand-alone IQ tests (as part of research studies) since then.

A bad day is possible, but I spoke with his teacher and she didn't notice anything off. She, too, was surprised by the difference. I just want to intervene in some way if I should and I want to relax about it, if that's the better course of action. I just feel unsure about how to incorporate the information.

#4 of 6 Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM

My oldest son (12) has Asperger's, and we've had some wild variances from one IQ test compared to the other in the past years.  If the teacher isn't noticing auditory comprehension issues in class, I wouldn't over-think it, because there is the possibility that with your son being on the spectrum, if he had an "off" day, it would probably show on something very sensory processing oriented, and auditory comprehension can be.  Just my opinion.  You could always do a re-test at a later date, and giving the teacher a heads-up helps.

My youngest (8) has auditory processing problems and there is always the possibility of poor auditory comprehension.  We have an adaptation that the teachers are to double check he correctly understood any complicated directions, and to give him written notes (he has strong reading and reading comprehension).  If you are concerned maybe he's missing some things that aren't detected, maybe you could have the teacher do a little check-in .

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#5 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM

[deleted]

If you're a parent of a child ages 4-18, I would really appreciate you participating in my brief online study. Copy/paste the link below for more information:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1359016/a-request-for-participation-in-an-online-study-for-parents

Thank you.

#6 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I, too, am tempted to not worrying about it. Nice to have others back up that instinct!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page