Meeting with school tomorrow for GIEP for DD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD definitely qualifies for a GIEP. I am meeting with the school tomorrow. Is there anything that I should ask about in particular? Is there anything that you wish you had asked and didn't? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

#2 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone have any info to offer?

#3 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM

sorry, i have no info for you. just wondering what state you live in? we don't have GIEP in California, I think.

#4 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrunchy View Post

sorry, i have no info for you. 

Same here. My state does not have GIEPs. I wish it did.

Did not want to read and not reply. Nothing is more frustrating than 100 'reads' and 0 replies!

I hope it goes well!

#5 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for reading and replying. :) It turns out that actually getting a GIEP is a long process (at least with our particular school).

We had the initial phone conference where they went over the DD's test results with us and confirmed that she does qualify. So now they are working on formulating the actual GIEP. We will have another meeting where they will present it to us and then we will give input, etc. Any adjustments will be made and then one final meeting before getting started with the new plan. Follow up meetings throughout the year. I am pleased that the ball is rolling, albeit very slowly!

#6 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM

We're not in a state with GIEPs, but DD is on an IEP, and by nature of the fact that a lot of the issues are tied to the G, it's effectively a strong 2e document.  e.g, her reading and spelling goals are tied to her reading level (10th grade +), and because she has a documented reading disability, one of the goals is to make a year's progress in reading, so be at 11 or beyond by the end of the year.  Also,  her accommodations account for the fact that she's 2 years younger than the other kids in her math class.

First and foremost, ask for the draft document before the meeting.  You should have the right to review it before the final meeting.  If GIEPs are like IEPs, there should be a section on present levels of performance.  Make sure they accurately reflect the child.  For instance, our school has a policy of evaluating reading levels only up to 1 year above the present grade level.  We needed additional testing to establish DD's actual level.

#7 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for the helpful advice. DD's reading level is several grade levels higher and is in the 99th percentile. So, I think they are totally willing to work with us. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for her that is age appropriate.

#8 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 AM

Watch the episodes of Denis the Meneace, Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy when the parents found out that their

kids are gifted and what happened next...

#9 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPrincess View Post

Watch the episodes of Denis the Meneace, Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy when the parents found out that their

kids are gifted and what happened next...

?? confused.gif

Can you explain, for someone who grew up without TV? How could TV sitcom plots be relevant for someone heading into a gifted IEP meeting?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#10 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

?? confused.gif

Can you explain, for someone who grew up without TV? How could TV sitcom plots be relevant for someone heading into a gifted IEP meeting?

Miranda

I grew up with TV and I have no clue either. My guess would be some sort of exaggerated disaster or hilarity ensued due to the discovery of the child's giftedness. Probably ones following well know stereotypes of gifted kids and/or their parents.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page