#61 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

A couple more questions.
In your opinion......
Are gifted people faster when doing things (walking, talking, etc)?
Are gifted people able to draw conclusions better?

this is a somewhat odd question...

I do not understand why a gifted person would walk faster than anyone. I am 9 months pregnant, huge, short of breath...I walk very slowly these days, LOL. Dosn't have to do anything with what my brain does. Walking fast or slow is just a physical habit or necessity.

Do they talk faster? I have known gifted people who talk incredibly fast, as if their mouth were trying to keep up with their brain. I have known a HG+ colleague who was such a perfectionist that he was unable to answer even the simplest question right away without taking a break to think about it, then come out with an answer that resembled the abstract of a PhD thesis, delivered in such measures tones you might have wanted to take notes. People respected him for his incredible analytic skills and wealth of knowledge but got very impatient sometimes - after all we were working in government where it is often more important (sad but true) to give a good-enough answer fast.

So it can influence your speech either way - but with most people I'd say it does not influence their speed in talking, rather the depth of their discourse.

If it's a problem to be solved with logical/analytical skills...well that's basically the definition of giftedness. If you need a solid foundation of knowledge in the field - it's easier to acquire and use it if you are gifted. If it's not your field? There is lots of science and engineering subjects I know zilch about, and my "conclusions" based on my science knowledge might be total rubbish. If it's a field in which my talents come to play? I can draw conclusions intuitively, without having studied the subject at hand, and they will usually be right.

Doesn't stop me from having made very bad mistakes in my life.

Remember, this is a forum that focuses on intellectual giftedness as defined by scoring in the highest percentiles of a standardized IQ test. It influences your life wherever thinking is involved. Doesn't mean you always get things right.

As Dumbledore said (an arrogant giftie if ever there was one...): "...my mistakes are correspondingly huger". ;)

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#62 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

A couple more questions.
In your opinion......
Are gifted people faster when doing things (walking, talking, etc)?

It seems as though you are feeling combative and insecure. Do I go faster than people? Maybe? I run a marathon in 39 days. I won't be one of the fast people. I will be one of the slowest people to cross the finish line. But I will go a lot farther than 99.9% of all people in history. Kind of awesome.

The ability to run fast is a gene. I don't have it.

Some gifted people talk quickly (I have one friend who is very difficult to understand) and he can lecture for hours on Medieval Literature. It varies, like people do.

Are gifted people better able to draw conclusions? People who are gifted are somewhat more likely to make it to the point where they understand logic. That helps them draw better conclusions. But people who have great responsibility and power screw up--they are human too. I'm not sure that my logic is particularly acute. I have a tendency to get hysterical. Yay mental illness.

PS- blame my typos on the ipad, please. smile.gif

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#63 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're right about feeling combative and insecure. I'm having problems with my landlord (new owner) so I'm just in combative mode right now.
#64 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM

hug.gif pek64
Juvysen likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#65 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

THANKS!!

Sorry about my attitude. I didn't realize until I read that post that I've been feeling combative in general the past couple days. Maybe I should start a thread about my landlord problems.
Juvysen and crunchy_mommy like this.
#66 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

THANKS!!
Sorry about my attitude. I didn't realize until I read that post that I've been feeling combative in general the past couple days. Maybe I should start a thread about my landlord problems.

I think it's a matter of glass houses. I usually show up to post a whole lot on MDC when I am otherwise feeling frustrated with my life. :) It's not the very best coping method in the world but I figure I'm not actually hurting anyone and it does lower my stress level.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#67 of 67 Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

The4ofUs, you sound a LOT like me. Enjoyed reading your story.

Kindred spirits FTW!  I just went back and re-read your initial post, as I really skimmed the whole thread the first time.

This has been a very interesting/illuminating discussion for me.  

:hug: pek64   

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page