Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Just curious how you would do this? 

I've commented on some of the books my dc have wanted to read or have read. We discuss a lot of them. I just can't imagine how I could actually prevent a 14 year old teenager from reading whatever she wanted to read. My 16 y.o. has her own library card and her own cash for the bookstore and I don't accompany her to either place - and haven't for many years. 

Since I work at the library usually she asked me to bring such and such book home for her or I'm with her when she is browsing for books. If she picked one I thought was not ok I would just tell her no, it wasn't an appropriate book for her to read. She did recently ask me about the 50 shades of grey books and wanted to know what they were and if I thought she would like them. I mostly just laughed and said no way was she reading them any time soon. I think the fact that I don't say no often helps because when I do turn down a book both kids know I have a good reason. For example ds wanted to read Game of Thrones because dh was reading it. Dh said no because there were some rape scenes in the book and ds doesn't need to be exposed to that. Another book was the second book in the Name of the wind series . Ds, dh and I had all read the first book and he was excited to read the second when It came out but the second book has a lot of sex and we felt it wasn't ok. Ds was a little disappointed but understood and never got mad to anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM

offtopic.gif

AngieB- I don't know how old your Ds is but if he likes fantasy you should look into the Wheel of Time series. Its a fantastic loonnggg series and is much milder than GoT.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#33 of 38 Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I went through some of the boxes in the shed and found a few hand-me-down children's books from cousins. Found a children's book by Henning Mankell (he of the melancholy murder mysteries) about a little boy who is given a cat and falls in love. I thought it might be just right for DS who is currently very happy and loving with our cats (they've had a tempestuous relationship before) and skimmed a bit. turns out the cat gets lost and no, apparently doesn't turn up by the end of the book and the little boy learns how to cope by inventing a fantasy world where they can meet up again. Made even me sad. With DS, if he even kept on reading it after the cat got lost, it would result in uncontrollable nightly meltdowns. he just would not be able to cope.

So that one may have to be discarded even. I cannot imagine him being ready to read it in a timeframe that is commensurate with his reading level.

He has refused to keep on reading other, mostly gentle children's books at the slightest signs of tension. so I pre-check - what's the point of having yet more books started and not finished?

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
#34 of 38 Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post

Since I work at the library usually she asked me to bring such and such book home for her or I'm with her when she is browsing for books. If she picked one I thought was not ok I would just tell her no, it wasn't an appropriate book for her to read. She did recently ask me about the 50 shades of grey books and wanted to know what they were and if I thought she would like them. I mostly just laughed and said no way was she reading them any time soon. I think the fact that I don't say no often helps because when I do turn down a book both kids know I have a good reason. For example ds wanted to read Game of Thrones because dh was reading it. Dh said no because there were some rape scenes in the book and ds doesn't need to be exposed to that. Another book was the second book in the Name of the wind series . Ds, dh and I had all read the first book and he was excited to read the second when It came out but the second book has a lot of sex and we felt it wasn't ok. Ds was a little disappointed but understood and never got mad to anything.

Ah, interesting, thanks for the reply. 

I'm laughing about 50 Shades of Grey. I haven't read it myself, so I know I shouldn't criticize it. I'm pretty confident that self-published Twilight fan fiction isn't a good thing (at least for me to read) and I've given it a pass on that basis alone. Happily, DD feels the same way and has no interest in them. She went from devouring the Twilight series when she was about 13 to detesting it within the span of a year or two. Thank goodness her literary taste has developed a little. 

#35 of 38 Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

does your reading have an impact on your kids reading? of course if they are old enough.

it really impacts dd. its a more recent thing. partly in the last 6 months. and that's when i feel i am kinda leading towards censoring. because now she has better coping skills i no longer need to keep an eye on the books she reads. those days are gone. its more about issues that are more adult. 

because of me she read/listened to The Help at 9, The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks (did a lot of skipping on this one, but got the essence of it).

dd loves fantasy and i think its an escape to a wonderful world where its a lot of fun and adventure. NOT my thing at all. 

so that is why she is not at all interested in most of the classics. She did enjoy Secret Garden a long time ago. She enjoys Shakespeare, but not much else. even some of the children's literature. she finds them boring. i am assuming because she cant relate to them. she did enjoy reading a cookbook from the gold rush times.

do  your kids read the classics?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#36 of 38 Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM

I don't preview what my 5 year old reads, never have I. But then again, he's only 5 and reads books geared towards kids.. older kids, but nonetheless kids. He isn't at all sensitive though. He has read books about war and death... and it's never affected him. And to be honest I don't think i'll ever preview his books, even when he gets that bit older.

Alyssa, married to the love of my life Bear treehugger.gif (step-daughter) Aphotosmile2.gif, Our little man P violin.gif, (step-son) Little LREPlaySkateboard04HL.gifand May 2013- TWINS angel.gif 1sttri.gif

#37 of 38 Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM

I have to post a quick reply -- just because I wanted to offer a bit of contrast. 

I'm SUPER ACTIVE in what my 10 year old son reads. He's a sensitive kid -- with an enormous imagination -- and I've had enough nights-with-the-lights-left-on to know that it's important to be thoughtful.  But then it's really important to me that he have age appropriate material too -- so I'm not just weeding out the scary stuff, but also the books that are too mature (ie: for teenagers or adults).   Perfect example: I've put the hold on Hunger Games.  I said "middle school".    He doesn't love it that we don't let him self-select, but I'm OK with that.  But then we're a low-media, way Waldorf family -- so it runs with the territory.  ;)

Great conversation on this!  Glad to read everyone's posts!

#38 of 38 Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Well I just had 'unlock' my kiddo's library card.  I guess when he turned 12 for some magical reason the library started to limit what could be checked out.  (11 yr old can get R rated movies but 12 yr olds need permission - go figure).  Some policy was in effect for ages 12-17 and I needed to sign a waiver for him to have full access again.   Silly in my opinion but I was more than happy to give him full uncensored access.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

User Tag List